Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Advice

scrugnale

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Wl Statesman
Hey Guys,

Im new to the just commodore forum and I'm just after some advice. Im thinking about buying a HSV GTS or Clubsport 2007 year onwards with a budget of about $32 k. What are the cost involved with owning the car i.e: Service, Tyres, Petrol, Expenses etc. and what should I be looking to purchase within that price bracket. Ive looked at a few 2010 ssv's however I feel HSV is the way to go?

I know its a pretty open ended question but any advice would be much appreciated.

cheers x

Last edited:

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I have a 2007 GTS, main costs for me were brake rotor/pads replacement, and rear tyres(if your vehicle has staggered wheels)
Servicing shouldnt be any more expensive than any other late V8. Magnetic suspension shocks(if fitted) leak after a while(very expensive to replace), although most just fit after market struts.
Rear LED lights can cause some problems with resistors making the blinkers blink fast.
Great cars to drive, very comfortable seats, superb brakes, great handling.
I would look for a GTS if it was me.(I did:smoking:) Check out Carsales.

scrugnale

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Wl Statesman
Cheers for the feedback mate!

What price are you looking at to replace the brakes and tyres, just an estimate? even servicing, I'm just trying to do my homework before purchasing the car!

Ive always wanted to buy a GTS or a Clubsport, just about finding the right car with low km's for the right price! Are there any major differences between a 2007 model HSV and a 2008/ 2009 model?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Just buy one you'll love it.

I pay $200-220 for tyres (245/35R20s and 275/30R20s)
I was paying about $380 for a mobile mechanic to service mine. in my driveway on weekend. Biggest cost is oil and all 6L motor need heaps!
brake pad n rotors are expensive but only need to be done around every 100,000kms if auto (the brakes last longer on manuals)

seriously there not that much more expensive then a 5.7L to up keep n maintain

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
besides brakes and insurance they are much the same as any other V8 Commodore. Bumpers/tail lights etc can cost a bomb if you break them though.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
besides brakes and insurance they are much the same as any other V8 Commodore. Bumpers/tail lights etc can cost a bomb if you break them though.

$2500 for a new rear bumper unpainted for my ute.

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
Insurance is something worth looking in to before purchasing. I was considering a 2009 HSV A few months ago but my insurance company(who I have a great no claim bonus with) weren't too bad for the premium. But there was an extra $1500 excess if I made a claim, on top of the normal excess, because it's a 'high performance vehicle'.
That and brake replacement costs, on my crappy wage, made me go for the SSV instead.

adamrollo9

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 HSV Clubsport
I'm 23 with a 2008 hsv clubsport ls3, insurance is a big cost for me. But well worth having the car :)

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Insurance is something worth looking in to before purchasing

I was paying $100 a month for my VT Calais International (supercharged and cost me 10k) around 2011

got my VE HSV (under 25) and was paying $150 a month for a 50k+ car while living in the city 2012ish. Moved to the country now and back to paying $100 a month for a 2009 HSV

cheap as chips really providing the car I have now

scrugnale

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Wl Statesman
Im only 19 so my insurance policy will be quite expensive from the quotes I have gathered. Im looking at $2,000 for the premiuim per year and the excess is priced at $3,500 in the unfortunate circumstance I have a crash. Always wanted one so now that I have the money behind me I want to get a HSV instead of an SSV, not only are the looks and performance of the HSV more superior but hopefully it holds more value in the long run. I have a lot to think about but I want to get one.