Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Advice

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Putting HSV badges on a Holden devalues it by making the owner look like a wanker...

Part of the reason why I covered the HSV centre caps on my rims with Holden logos.

perkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I've found that cars modified with aftermarket components devalues them in most cases. HSV was Holden's performance wing with components listed in a Holden parts book recognised as a factory approved fitment, no different than BMW's M Performance division. Generally speaking, modifying a Holden with genuine HSV components because of the "factory" recognition, increases it's value. In most cases, people will pay more and desire a Holden modified with genuine HSV components more so than a car with aftermarket (non genuine) mods.
So if HSV is the performance wing of Holden than what does Walkinshaw do differently to HSV?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
So if HSV is the performance wing of Holden than what does Walkinshaw do differently to HSV?
Walkinshaw isn't Holden's performance wing and their components aren't listed in Holden's parts book. The corporate link between HSV and Walkinshaw implies it's semi factory componentry but realistically, it's much the same as Harrop and any other aftermarket suppliers.

Personally I think Holden dropped the ball not marketing Walkinshaw type upgrades under the HSV banner like BMW do with their M Performance upgrades on non M model variants that's a proven global success. "M" badges or stickers usually come with BWW upgrades to be fitted in specific locations on the car in most cases.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Not meeting ADR’s for one, spending less money on R&D for another.

Personally I think Holden dropped the ball not marketing Walkinshaw type upgrades under the HSV banner like BMW do with their M Performance upgrades on non M model variants that's a proven global success. "M" badges or stickers usually come with BWW upgrades to be fitted in specific locations on the car in most cases.
They did that for a while with the HSV Enhanced thing, but dropped it.
Dunno why, there must have been a reason; might have decided it was diluting the HSV ‘brand’, or maybe it was about streamlining delivery, dunno.
Might have been that they didn’t do enough sales to make-up for the cost of meeting rules & regs.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan

No they were not. HSV the company was owned by Premoso Group (Tom Walkinshaw). HSV the name is owned by Holden. Premoso group, owns walkinshaw performance, walkinshaw supercar team, caravan mob and conversion groups that does the dodge ram, and chev stuff.

HSV was a customer to Holden (no 1 customer).
Their used to be a couple of HSV engineers who sat with Holden engineering as liaison officers. But HSV used their own engineering team to engineer the HSV specific parts on the HSV models.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Dunno why, there must have been a reason; might have decided it was diluting the HSV ‘brand’, or maybe it was about streamlining delivery, dunno.
Might have been that they didn’t do enough sales to make-up for the cost of meeting rules & regs.
I had an HSV enhanced VS ute and was virtually a Maloo without the tailgate and front bumper. It had an SS bumper with an HSV Manta grill and Maloo sail plane with the 185kw Maloo/Clubsport engine and was build plated with an enhancement number under the bonnet. By memory, it had an HSV Enhanced badge on the dash and a Maloo/Clubsport steering wheel. They were obviously cheaper than a Maloo but I can't remember how much cheaper. In VR, they had a sedan version that was basically a 185kw SS I think was dropped in VS for the base model HSV Manta.

They likely dropped it fearing that too many may choose the enhancement instead of buying an HSV vehicle.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not meeting ADR’s for one, spending less money on R&D for another.

GM Nth America stopped it. From memory, it was from VE where one couldn't option HSV parts on their cars. Might have been earlier..

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
No they were not. HSV the company was owned by Premoso Group (Tom Walkinshaw). HSV the name is owned by Holden. Premoso group, owns walkinshaw performance, walkinshaw supercar team, caravan mob and conversion groups that does the dodge ram, and chev stuff.

HSV was a customer to Holden (no 1 customer).
Their used to be a couple of HSV engineers who sat with Holden engineering as liaison officers. But HSV used their own engineering team to engineer the HSV specific parts on the HSV models.

HSV products had to be approved by Holden as they did in the HDT days with Brock and were the only corporation Holden formally recognised to enhance their vehicles, hence HSV components are listed in Holden's parts books, Walkinshaw components aren't. Kicking around somewhere, I've got a VL (Walkinshaw) parts book supplement printed by Holden when their parts books were hard copy. In later times, I think non HSV Holden dealers were locked out of parts listings for HSV VIN vehicles only HSV dealers could access. There was a time you had to provide an HSV VIN# to order HSV parts and if some dealers suspected you were abusing the system, they'd refuse to order parts.

Last edited:

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV products had to be approved by Holden as they did in the HDT days with Brock and were the only corporation Holden formally recognised to enhance their vehicles, hence HSV components are listed in Holden's parts books, Walkinshaw components aren't. Kicking around somewhere, I've got a VL (Walkinshaw) parts book supplement printed by Holden when their parts books were hard copy. In later times, I think non HSV Holden dealers were locked out of parts listings for HSV VIN vehicles only HSV dealers could access. There was a time you had to provide an HSV VIN# to order HSV parts and if some dealers suspected you were abusing the system, they'd refuse to order parts.

It may have been the case for HDT, but when I joined Holden Engineering from VE onwards, Holden engineering didn't approve HSV specific parts. Holden engineering did the releasing of parts so Adelaide built HSV specific cars and also to release HSV specific parts for HSPO (Holden Spare Parts Operations).

Last edited: