Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV confirms 6.2 litre heart transplant

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
man thats going to feel like a massive engine.

its interesting that ford develop basically the same power from a much smaller engine though

The engineers at Ford and FPV have alot to be proud of, but even so the BOSS engine is at its very limit.

The LS3 on the other hand, is only at the beginning of its capabilities and is capable of a hell of a lot more than 317kw. Plus, the BOSS engine doesnt seem to make much of the peak power. A 270kw SS was quicker than a 290kw BF GT, so don't be fooled into thinking a 315kw FPV GT will threaten a 317kw HSV. They'll still wipe the floor with FPV's V8. As always, the real threat will still be the F6, particularly on a track.

Disturbed_vegeta

I'd Prefer To ROAR!
Reaction score
Website
Www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VR Hsv Senator, VX SS, VZ SS Ute 6L, K9 GSXR1000
I reckon the GTS should get the the 6.2 transplant only and leave the clubby's as a 6.

thats wat i want! im sick of the gts being the same as the clubby...bring back the days of vs when they were 5.7 and the rest were 5ltrs lol

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
GTS isn't a real GTS.. just a clubby with MRC. GTS-R on the other hand is another story.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
The engineers at Ford and FPV have alot to be proud of, but even so the BOSS engine is at its very limit.

The LS3 on the other hand, is only at the beginning of its capabilities and is capable of a hell of a lot more than 317kw. Plus, the BOSS engine doesnt seem to make much of the peak power. A 270kw SS was quicker than a 290kw BF GT, so don't be fooled into thinking a 315kw FPV GT will threaten a 317kw HSV. They'll still wipe the floor with FPV's V8. As always, the real threat will still be the F6, particularly on a track.

Boss's engine are more advanced arnt they? compared to the LS series. Running DOHC's, VVT etc

I remember watching a show where they tested an xr8 ute against a xr6 turbo ute down a quarter. the XR6T had him 240m down the track, wasnt till the XR8 got on its legs that it started to catch up and overtake. Around my area theres boosted up XR6T everywhere that i woudnt risk the embarrassment of having a go at, i wouldnt hear the end of it lol

good point on the chev's having more in them, FPV make it hard to improve and modify

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Boss's engine are more advanced arnt they? compared to the LS series. Running DOHC's, VVT etc

I remember watching a show where they tested an xr8 ute against a xr6 turbo ute down a quarter. the XR6T had him 240m down the track, wasnt till the XR8 got on its legs that it started to catch up and overtake. Around my area theres boosted up XR6T everywhere that i woudnt risk the embarrassment of having a go at, i wouldnt hear the end of it lol

good point on the chev's having more in them, FPV make it hard to improve and modify

Technically yes the BOSS engines are more advanced... but I see it the other way.

The LS3 is
- More fuel efficient despite the larger capacity
- More powerful
- Cheaper to build
- Has superior Torque and Power curves.
- Has a higher rev limit than the BOSS.

The cost is the interesting part, the 6L and the LS3 also are cheaper than the Alloytec engine. So when you consider the $$$ you pay as a premium for a V8, thats a considerably more profit going straight into Holdens pocket.