Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Huge insurance cost rise?

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I find him a bit arrogant, but yeah. Samcrac & Hoovie's garage are other youtubers I keep an eye on.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
It’s getting to the stage where I’ll change insurers yearly now. Shop around for the best price and just pay it for the year upfront. No direct debit.
CBF with asking existing insurers to price match or beat other quotes.
You hit me with the lazy tax I’ll just go elsewhere.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
The premium on my VE SSV Z ($30k cover) was $750 at recent renewal last month.

Previous renewal last year was $690.

Home and contents was renewed in June with an increase of $220 but cover increased by $63k.

Both with RAC.

I thought they were somewhat reasonable compared to stories of rampant increases elsewhere.
I had 3 cars and house/contents with RAC until recently. Down to 1 car and house/contents now

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
It’s getting to the stage where I’ll change insurers yearly now. Shop around for the best price and just pay it for the year upfront. No direct debit.
CBF with asking existing insurers to price match or beat other quotes.
You hit me with the lazy tax I’ll just go elsewhere.
agreed, same with power companies shop around,

Years of being a loyal customer(10+ years) are gone

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I just got my renewal from AAMI.
I'd be unloading AAMI if you're insuring nice cars, they're the WORST for sending you to crap panel shops with no choice of repairer option. A lot of people think insurance companies like AAMI have exclusive panel shops because they're good repairers and do a great job. The truth of the matter is these exclusive panel shops will cut corners and punch out roughies for the insurance company to save them money!

Allianz are one of the best for approving quality work from choice of repairers and in SA, RAA is another good one. QBE is another good one I believe. There's a catch with choice of repairer for some insurance companies where you can only choose a cheap quote and they'll reject the more expensive quote from the good panel shop you prefer to do the job. Allianz, RAA (SA) and QBE don't do that.

My RAA market value policy for my Redline Ute was $540 up from $490 last year. I've got a $1300 excess option and drops the premium a fair bit.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I'd be unloading AAMI if you're insuring nice cars, they're the WORST for sending you to crap panel shops with no choice of repairer option. A lot of people think insurance companies like AAMI have exclusive panel shops because they're good repairers and do a great job. The truth of the matter is these exclusive panel shops will cut corners and punch out roughies for the insurance company to save them money!

Allianz are one of the best for approving quality work from choice of repairers and in SA, RAA is another good one. QBE is another good one I believe. There's a catch with choice of repairer for some insurance companies where you can only choose a cheap quote and they'll reject the more expensive quote from the good panel shop you prefer to do the job. Allianz, RAA (SA) and QBE don't do that.
Choice of repairer never used to mean too much to me till someone else hit my car and I chose a repairer to fix it, as is my right because the other party was at fault. Of course the other parties insurance was trying to convince me to put it through their network of repairers.

Talking to that repairer at great length about it he explained basically that the insurance companies (in this case RACQ) have a list of repairers not to select the best repairers but to select the ones that will do the job the cheapest and they aggressively bid down the repairers on the approved list.

A lot of them are closed shop repairers (ie: only do repair work for X insurance companies, no private or choose your own repairer jobs). That makes them very hungry to bid the cheapest price and creates a massive incentive for them to cut corners.

The repairer I was dealing with doesn’t have agreements with the major insurance companies and I’ve had work done by two of their repair shops (the job I just mentioned plus another private job) and was very happy with their work. Perfect colour matching and pricing was very reasonable on the private job.

I would like to continue to use them in the future so now I won’t have insurance that doesn’t give me choice of repairer.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Choice of repairer never used to mean too much to me till someone else hit my car and I chose a repairer to fix it, as is my right because the other party was at fault. Of course the other parties insurance was trying to convince me to put it through their network of repairers.

Talking to that repairer at great length about it he explained basically that the insurance companies (in this case RACQ) have a list of repairers not to select the best repairers but to select the ones that will do the job the cheapest and they aggressively bid down the repairers on the approved list.
Absolutely ... but Suncorp goes one further, by actually owning their own chain of cut-price poor-quality sausage-factory repairers.
Given that AAMI is owned by Suncorp, if you're getting an AAMI policy without choice of repairer then I very much suspect you're being sent to the Capital SMART sausage-factory who'll very much root the car.
Shannons is also owned by Suncorp, and their policies have a choice of repairer. However, their claims customer-service people are instructed to offer the sausage-factory as an alternative - and it IS a quicker alternative, 'cos the job itself is done very quickly (with many corners cut) and there's no quoting hence no approval process.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Tiled roofs are an abomination that should be banned. The hail storm that went through Springfield QLD a few years back destroyed many homes. All because the covenant of the estate forced tiled roofs on all houses!

If they would have all had tin roofs or at least people had the option to choose then the damages would have been far less.
Amen to that. Last year we had a terrible storm with big hail in Melbourne. One of my roof tiles split. I didn't know. In the early hours of the morning I heard something fall in the loungeroom with a sloshing sound. It was the plaster ceiling and it came down with all the insulfluff (I have an older 60s home). What a bloody nightmare! Insurer fixed the ceiling (after a few weeks of waiting and putting up with a gaping hole in the loungeroom) but flat out refused to repair the tiles, stating that the concrete tiles had suffered "fair wear and tear." What crap! There no leaks beforehand! The bloody hailstones did it! They just flat out refused to help and told me to take them to court. I buckled as I wanted the ceiling fixed. They did, however, put me on to a very good roofing guy. The broken tiles are now all fixed, as is the capping and the roof has been repainted.
If I had the money I'd rip the blasted tiles off and put on a Colorbond roof but I just can't atm.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Anyone with GIO? I've been with them for years but they are pricey.