Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I fixed the headlight lens. Here’s how.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Can't help with re-furbishment, but I think that the acrylic after market covers do a lot to stop fading and abrasion. For future use ??
The only car I have not used them on was the XC Barina, and fading was OEM on them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've been looking at kits and am forming the opinion it might be better to just by the mother's headlight lense polish, wet & dry and some sort of sealer all separately?.
I'm also wondering if I'm better off just buying a pair of aftermarket headlights at about $220, as the gear needed might work out to be about $100 and may not last long enough to make the 4-5hrs of effort worth it?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I've been looking at kits and am forming the opinion it might be better to just by the mother's headlight lense polish, wet & dry and some sort of sealer all separately?.
I'm also wondering if I'm better off just buying a pair of aftermarket headlights at about $220, as the gear needed might work out to be about $100 and may not last long enough to make the 4-5hrs of effort worth it?
I did my headlights. Took 2 hours to sand & polish. I used a uv protectant spray can of 2 pack. That was about $50.00. I started with 180 grid & finished with 2000 grid. Make sure you keep the lines going the same way then cross them with the next grid. If you leave the heavy grid lines in, when it comes to polishing the heavy grid lines stick out & are quite noticable. The polish was just some sca crap.
Here is a link to how to do it. I'm not sure if this is the exact video that l watched before doing mine.

When l watched a video from this guy, he said using the 2 pack, it would last longer than oem new headlights.
So spend $60.00 or less, you probably have most stuff already. You will be happy with the result, l know l was.
Whichever way you go , good luck.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I didn’t use a kit. I bought actual wet and dry from 850-3000 and let going up a grade. Finishing 1000, then 2000 and then 3000.

Used sugar soap with it in the sprayer and rinsed it as I went.

Then buff with Maguiars plastic polish after the 3000. Used a firm foam cone, then a soft foam cone.

Then some IPA and a few coats of the Duplicolour headlamp coating to seal it.
You only need the second part of the Duplicolour options. It UV protects it. $15-$20 at Repco.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Planing on doing the Calais and Red VZ soon. Will post pics.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
View attachment 205572

I got a $16 headlight repair kit. Seems good enough.
The drill pad for polishing was the only thing really any good. Their plastic polish and the uv protectant is worth it too.

I wasn’t keen on masking the paint so off came the bumper. Headlights off and could do the work a bit more comfy too.

The bloody 800 grit sanding pad provided came apart and scratched up the lens. So I grabbed a sanding block and 800 grit wet and dry.
Sprayed water on as I went and sprayed down the lens and paper as often as I could.

Doing this by hand was way better. Much quicker and better finish at almost every point.

Then moved to 1500 grit.
Then 2000 grit.
Then the polish provided, which was quite course. I used the drill polish pad provided on this bit.

Then moved to Mothers Plastic polish and things quickly went to the next level. Did heaps of passes like this.
Then moved to hand polishing with the Mother’s Plastic Polish.

Then, turned it over and sprayed a heap of Aerospace 303 on the back. Used a shaving brush to work it into the plastic. Then wiped clean with a microfiber cloth.

You have to coat the lens with the uv protectant last.

I will be getting the 3M Clear Bra headlight cover. Then this never needs doing again. They are about $80 on eBay.

In summary, I’m stoked with the finish. Did this thinking fk it, if it sort of works I’m ahead anyway.
I almost bought a new one.
These look as good as a headlight that might be a few years old. Lens is clear but a few bits of putting from stones. You have to look hard to find then though.

I spent about 2hours on one headlight. Nice with the radio on and hot cup of tea on hand.
Yup agreed 800grit is kinda rough….

1000/1200 then 1500 then 2000 is my usual method

polish is perfect mate

1 more step so it can last forever, buy a can of 2K clear & spray the lenses, this should
give you approx. 5+ years trouble free lenses or take it to a panel shop & ask them to 2K clear it for you

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Me at the end of this:
2a8fee_339359.jpg
My right arms like that too. It’s not from polishing though:)

ZXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sportwagon
I found that after 6 to 8 months the headlight returned to being cloudy.
Yes i did seal after.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yes i did seal after.
What did you use to seal them?

Next month it'll be 12 mths since l did mine. Mine are still ok.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes i did seal after.
What with?