Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I'm A Mod Newbie And Need Serious Advice

Erebus83

Are You Ready To RUMBLE??
Reaction score
Members Ride
Coming Soon: VE SS - Nitrate Metallic - 6sp Man
Thank you to everyone who has replied to my thread. I went and spoke to Holden first, and got the Sales guy to start and rev a stock SS, and may I say... I was extremely disappointed. My Hyundai Accent makes more noise.

I then went to the local Exhaust place (who are supposedly the best place in this town) today, and the guy I spoke to recommended I leave everything standard, however I should just get a Dual 3" Hurricane Exhaust System put on. He says that it will make it sound great, especially in idle. Also, if I start mucking around with headers, extractors and aftermarket cats, I could really void the warrantee, especially if something f*cks up. He also said, unless you're going to do drag racing or have some major tuning done, replacing the cats would just be an expensive and pointless exercise.

The only thing I forgot to ask was, if it would be recommended to get a CAI put in as well?

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
i read half this thread and just got pissed off at all the persons in here

if you want your ve to sound tuff there is only one way supercharger and extractors 3" full system

all other setups sound **** and trust me i hear them all day as i am a mechanic and work with like 18 other shops near by and the holden dealers across the road

and for the fact of supercharging my boss has a vz gto with 3' twin system and wants a supercharger so it sounds better

my bosses system cost him $8000 that is what it costs for fully stainless mandrell bent system

Erebus83

Are You Ready To RUMBLE??
Reaction score
Members Ride
Coming Soon: VE SS - Nitrate Metallic - 6sp Man
As sweet as that sounds to get a Super Charger and all that... I don't have $8,000 to spend on making the car sound tuff. As it is, the car is going to set me back $50k+. I don't want it to sound like what the V8 Super Cars do, I just want it to sound better than the sparrow fart the Stock SS that I heard today.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
As sweet as that sounds to get a Super Charger and all that... I don't have $8,000 to spend on making the car sound tuff. As it is, the car is going to set me back $50k+. I don't want it to sound like what the V8 Super Cars do, I just want it to sound better than the sparrow fart the Stock SS that I heard today.

Fair enough mate. I take it you viewed the Video??

VE :: EXCESSV03.flv video by HoldfastOrganicGardening - Photobucket

Best of luck with your car, have you decided on the colour? I might be upgrading as well but not until late May.

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
try buying a varible muffler they on the new gts's but aprantly they illgall but they stock on gts

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Seriously whatever you do mate, ignore this moron dynoryder.

A good exhaust and a good set of headers will get it sounding a lot better. Im not to sure what the VE guys are running, I would think it would be around the twin 3 inch range.

Find a good shop in your area. Im not to familar with Townsville so youll have to do some research and ringing around once you know what your after.

Youre probally after something like 4 into 1 extractors into twin 2 and a half or 3 inch exhaust. I wouldnt personally worry about the cats, they wont effect the sound to much and they really only need to be changed if your chasing big power gains.

Pacemaker make pretty good quality stuff and theyre quite affordable (in comparison to the other big brands), if you want top of the range ask about Difillipo, I wouldnt personally spend the money on them if youre mainly after that V8 sound.

As for CAI's, you have to becareful what you buy. Some are actually illegal (see my ride thread for that isnt smiled upon by mr plod) because they remove the MAF on the air pipe. With the VE some OTR CAI's do leave the MAF there, so again its a matter of shopping around. They are quite good they add a bit of poke when your driving around the streets, but with the CAI you will NEED to get it tuned, and thats where the bucks start to rack up.

Take a look at GMM Motorsport's website: http://www.gmmotorsport.com/ve_ls3_packages.shtml

They have a price guide on their power packages, they are a little more expensive than most places and I said above, they use DiFillipo exhausts which are quite expensive.

As for warranty... Usually they only void the warranty on the parts that you have touched. But just check with Holden.

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
Seriously whatever you do mate, ignore this moron dynoryder.

A good exhaust and a good set of headers will get it sounding a lot better. Im not to sure what the VE guys are running, I would think it would be around the twin 3 inch range.

Find a good shop in your area. Im not to familar with Townsville so youll have to do some research and ringing around once you know what your after.

Youre probally after something like 4 into 1 extractors into twin 2 and a half or 3 inch exhaust. I wouldnt personally worry about the cats, they wont effect the sound to much and they really only need to be changed if your chasing big power gains.

Pacemaker make pretty good quality stuff and theyre quite affordable (in comparison to the other big brands), if you want top of the range ask about Difillipo, I wouldnt personally spend the money on them if youre mainly after that V8 sound.

why would you say this mate just cuz you dont like me dont bring personal stuff into this mate

the vairible muffulers sound allright but to me they sound **** cuz i like supercharges

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
oh yea i will get holdens price on these muffles tomoro so grennan what prices do you have

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
You work for Pedders, or atleast you THINK you work for Pedders. Every single bit of your advice on this forum is either:

a) Completely incorrect.
b) Illegal.
c) Plain ****ing stupid.

What prices do I have? I posted a link to the power packages on GMM for him to have a look at. Good luck searching the Pedders database for variable mufflers buddy.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
It depends on how you interpret 'tough sounding'. Your idea and my idea of tough could be very different. If you're after a relatively cheap way to change the note of your exhaust, get a cat back. It comes down to how much you want to spend to get your desired sound.
As for getting a supercharger and a twin 3" full system 'as it's the only way to go to get that tough sound', that's one of the stupidest things that's graced the pages of any car forum. Dynoryder, if you love your boss and his car that much you should marry them. You call yourself a mechanic, but the advice you give leaves a lot to be desired. I sure as hell wouldn't trust you with my car.