Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I'm A Mod Newbie And Need Serious Advice

Erebus83

Are You Ready To RUMBLE??
Reaction score
Members Ride
Coming Soon: VE SS - Nitrate Metallic - 6sp Man
I've noticed that most of the people who have all the fancy stuff (extractors, cats and cat backs)... all of their vehicles seem to be 2006 Models. So, obviously the majority (if not all) of the vehicles are out of warranty. I'm also guessing, that most of these people have bought the VE's second hand and at a much lower price. Therefore, enabling them to spend the thousands of dollars to get their desired sound. That's where I'm really out of the league.

As I said before, this car is going to set me back at least $50k+, not to mention getting new tint, rims as well as a new stereo system (Alpine Type R's - 2 x 6" Splits, 2 x 6" x 9" & 2 x 12" Subs) put in. I'm roughly looking at needing to borrow $60,000 all up. And I guess for some people, $60k ain't that bad, however for me it's an a$$load of cash that I'm going to have to pay back.

The place I went to today (Bob Parkes Muffler City - Bob Parkes Muffler City) recommended I get a Dual 3" Cat Back. The guy reckons that this alone would be enough to at least make the SS sound like a V8. The brand he stocks is "Hurricane" and to buy it and have it fully installed is going to set me back approximately $1,400. I'm not sure if that's a good price or not but it was definately a lot cheaper than what I was expecting.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Yeah 1400 doesnt sound to bad, a tad expensive but up in townsville I imagine your choices are rather limited as far as shopping around goes. If all you are after is a bit of noise, an exhaust alone WILL do the job.

I havent heard a whole lot about Hurricane, apparently a fair few of the Ford guys use Hurricane headers and exhausts, so if youre happy with the price go for it.

Warranty is a funny thing though, if your exhaust, or something relating to the exhaust ****s up, it will void the warranty. Although if your engine falls out they cant really say well... the engine fell out because he changed the exhaust.

Erebus83

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah 1400 doesnt sound to bad, a tad expensive but up in townsville I imagine your choices are rather limited as far as shopping around goes. If all you are after is a bit of noise, an exhaust alone WILL do the job.

I havent heard a whole lot about Hurricane, apparently a fair few of the Ford guys use Hurricane headers and exhausts, so if youre happy with the price go for it.

Warranty is a funny thing though, if your exhaust, or something relating to the exhaust ****s up, it will void the warranty. Although if your engine falls out they cant really say well... the engine fell out because he changed the exhaust.

HAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That's a very valid point mate.

Cheers for all of your advice :beer chug:

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
So you've already paid for the Hurricane cat back? I noticed you've listed it in your signature.

Erebus83

Reaction score
Members Ride
So you've already paid for the Hurricane cat back? I noticed you've listed it in your signature.

Nah, I haven't paid for anything yet. I'd consider my signature more as my wish list. I just hope to god that the Bank will give me a late Christmas present lol

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
ii am a mechanic

:hmmm:

Wish i could see out my apprenticeship doing $14 safety checks.....

$1400 sounds a little pricey. You might almost be better to do some more research, find a system you like the look of, for a cheaper price and then have it installed. You'd be looking at no more than $100 in installation for a VE exhaust so $1300 worth of pipes could land you with better branded ones than Hurricane.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
mate if your just looking to make it sound better than stock at a low cost.
get your self a 15mm spanner lye under neath the car remove the 4 bolts that hold the rear mufflers on
start it up and notice the difference if it sounds like something you could be happy with get those rear mufflers changed with a good higflow set and your done
your not gonna get the best sound in the world but you will have a ss that sounds like a v8

Erebus83

Reaction score
Members Ride
:hmmm:

Wish i could see out my apprenticeship doing $14 safety checks.....

$1400 sounds a little pricey. You might almost be better to do some more research, find a system you like the look of, for a cheaper price and then have it installed. You'd be looking at no more than $100 in installation for a VE exhaust so $1300 worth of pipes could land you with better branded ones than Hurricane.

I don't want to sound stupid, but don't all exhausts look the same?

Erebus83

Reaction score
Members Ride
The biggest problem I have is due to where I live. Although Townsville has 5-6 different exhaust places, only 2 of them have been around a long time and are respected by the general population. I'm thinking I may have to contact Holden in Brisbane and get them to do me a quote on the VE SS, and then try and shop around via e-mail/calling exhaust places in Brisbane.

Erebus83

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just looked at the Fast Fit Exhaust Website, and the brands they carry are... SuperCat, ProEx, PaceMaker, Genie, Lukey

Has anyone heard of any of these brands?