Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I'm A Mod Newbie And Need Serious Advice

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Well, I've just read a few other exhaust threads on here and now I'm seriously f*cking unsure.

Some people go on Di Filipo, some say Pacemaker's, some say XForce...

The biggest problem is, you won't know what it sounds like until you get it fitted. And I don't know about some people, but I don't have the $$$ to spend on several different exhausts until I find one that I like.

And as I stated above, it's hard to know what just a Cat Back System would sound like as the majority of people have changed their Cats and Extractors and have an CAI...

In all honesty, I'm really getting frustrated with what to do... might just go and buy an 2010 XR6 Turbo and be done with it

Mate all I did on my Sv6 was change out the rear mufflers, and cut out about 2 foot of exhaust and replace it with 2.25 stainless steel, and it sounds awesome as, would imagine a V8 with just a catback change would sound phenominal!

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
Mate all I did on my Sv6 was change out the rear mufflers, and cut out about 2 foot of exhaust and replace it with 2.25 stainless steel, and it sounds awesome as, would imagine a V8 with just a catback change would sound phenominal!

i was gonna do this to mine did you just replace the crimped section or the hot dogs aswell with the straight through
i have already done the mufflers and now i got a spare exhaust to play with

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
might be abit different for everyone, u might hate it, or might sound different on your car.

I replaced the mufflers first, to a pair of stainless steel difillipinos or however u spell em, and it sounded great, just not as loud, eventually replaced the hotdogs and the crimped section.

Monaro recomended i do that, and it sounds fairly good, im hanging out to see the system HM headers come out with, will be a complete 2.25" exhaust with extractors.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
yeah iv done the rears and it sounds great but quiet
i got a complete ss system for $20 (so exactly the same as the sv6 in the middle)
and was gonna play around with it to see what sound i can get my first thought was to replace the crimped section and hot dogs with straight pipes get some pop and fizz from it hopefuly

Erebus83

Are You Ready To RUMBLE??
Reaction score
Members Ride
Coming Soon: VE SS - Nitrate Metallic - 6sp Man
Well, although I haven't got my car yet (can't apply until March), I have decided to go with a Pacemaker 3" Dual Cat Back System. Once I have the car and the exhaust fitted, I shall post a video or two of the rumble

bjay

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV
i read half this thread and just got pissed off at all the persons in here

if you want your ve to sound tuff there is only one way supercharger and extractors 3" full system

all other setups sound **** and trust me i hear them all day as i am a mechanic and work with like 18 other shops near by and the holden dealers across the road

and for the fact of supercharging my boss has a vz gto with 3' twin system and wants a supercharger so it sounds better

my bosses system cost him $8000 that is what it costs for fully stainless mandrell bent system

Haha $8000 grand for a full stainless steel exhaust obviously you and your boss have no idea what the hell you are talking about

jono0309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I picked up a full Xforce 2.5inch system off ebay for $350, now that has really made it sound better and its cheap as, keep the stock system and when you sell it, put it back on.
Cheap, easy and appears to be all stock...

burgo45d

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V Ute
im looking for a system for my ute, and came across this 2.5" hi-tech mufflers exhaust... i reckon it sounds sweet as..

YouTube - VE SS Ute Loud

the bloke said it was $1800 and another $1000 for extractors.. all stainless.
just dunno whether to go it or a 3" system..

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
Mate firstly you will have no chice about the AFM on a MY10 VE V8.

I understand your points about V8's these days not sounding as a V8 should. THe cat back exhaust wil make the car sound louder and better but not entirely like a V8 should.

Depending on your level of tolerance, this will dictate your choice between a 2.5" or 3" system. My brother has the 2.5" system and his car sounds better throughout the rev range from idle to full throttle but it is not obnoxoiusly loud on full throttle. My cr has the 3" system and is OBNOXIOUS when I step on it.

As far as not modifying the vehicle until it is out of warantee, I would not be too concerned with voiding the warantee because if you use a reputable workshop and use quality parts the car should still be like a new car and the reputable workshop should sort you out with some assistance if you encouter any major problems.

I went the whole hog with my car (MY10 VE SSV Ute) as soon as I took delivery of the car. For me, this was the best thing I could have done because the car has gone from tame to wild in one hit rather than graduale increases in performance and sound.

Good luck with the purchase and modification route.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Well, although I haven't got my car yet (can't apply until March), I have decided to go with a Pacemaker 3" Dual Cat Back System. Once I have the car and the exhaust fitted, I shall post a video or two of the rumble

hey mate. I've read through the last 5 pages- hoping to finally read on the last page what you went for (but you havent bought yet) :).

this is what I would have suggested in the beginning. as someone already said previously, most of the sound comes from the rear section, and most of the power comes from the front... but it's very easy to stuff up both. like you've already decided, so for a reputable cat back system. my bet is that you'll be more than happy with the sound it makes, and then later on if you want to do performance mods you can still use the cat back and not have to replace.

also, there's a stack of videos on Utube which are a big help for deciding on brands. i like the sound of the redback mufflers I've heard, and whilst pacemaker are very reputable- to me they sometimes sound too high pitched/tinny. but like everyone, exhaust note preference is personal. i'm not a fan of really loud... but I am a fan of deep low grumble/gurgle.