Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I'm not playing bingo

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I hate it when a word you have been writing for years suddenly looks wrong even though it is right .

Straya!

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Brock Director
It's the internet, get over it...pretty sure there is a thread for things that piss you off and annoy you.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
It's the internet, get over it...pretty sure there is a thread for things that piss you off and annoy you.

You miss the point. It's not just the internet, it's any written communication these days. That is why I created a separate thread to discuss how others feel about the spelling of Gen Y and how educators don't appear to teach the three r's any more.

So no, I won't get over it :)

Straya!

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Brock Director
Well aint that a darn shame now i wunt bee abel to sleep tonoit

James VY

I like Nirvana too.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
When I first started using the interwebz, I signed up to a mountain bike forum that had a very strict policy on correct grammar and spelling.

I was always quite good with it all, but getting flamed for writing like a tard on the net kicked me right into gear.

Dnt b lzy ppls itz nt hrd 2 rite normle

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
You miss the point. It's not just the internet, it's any written communication these days. That is why I created a separate thread to discuss how others feel about the spelling of Gen Y and how educators don't appear to teach the three r's any more.

So no, I won't get over it :)

Try reading through an Officer's report , in which "the perpetrator was praying and lerking on his victim ", this happened not long ago , strange thing was , she spelled perpetrator perfectly .

Last edited:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I understand that some people simply can't spell or don't have great grammar. And hey I don't claim to be perfect in that regard either, in fact a word smith could no doubt go through the grammar, punctuation and sentence structure of this very post of mine with a red pen and find many mistakes.
It is a car discussion forum, I don't expect it to be a spelling or grammar test. I realise that some people aren't great at spelling or still don't really know where commas should go or basic paragraph structure.

However what pees me off is when people are just plain lazy. By typing up a thread in text talk rather than plain English, it says to me that person is too lazy to make an effort, yet expects us (the reader) to make the effort to read through and interpret their mess. Often they are asking us a question, yet they can't make an effort to type that question up in a easily readable format. I just skip past those threads because if they can't be bothered typing in plain English, I can't be bothered trying to read their SMS type message.

Text talk belongs on phones. This is a forum, not a SMS. As an author of a message who is text savvy, it's probably a lot easier/quicker to type a thread in text talk. However as a reader, it's a lot more work processing a text message. For starters there is no universal text abbreviations. So often you have to first determine what the abbreviation is.

Second, we've probably all seen the tests which proves our brains only really process the first and last letters of a word, hence I (and I am sure most people) can read & process a paragraph of properly written English in the same time it takes to read a couple of lines of text talk.

Third - grammar. As said, I'm not talking about perfect sentence structure or correctly placing every comma or full stop. I just need some sort of punctuation in order to understand what the person is trying to say. Ok, I can get by without commas, but I cannot hope to understand a 10 line sentence with no full stops and/or capital letters...

I just think a bit of effort from the author of a thread shows respect to the readers. It's not that difficult.

Last edited:

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
I'd happily trade horrible grammar for this generation to get their ass in gear and concede money doesn't grow on trees. I've got two professional "students" at home that use good grammar and speech, but i may as well be caring for two disabled children because they cant do anything without someone holding their hands. One is studying "liberal arts" and the other shows up to job interviews looking the second coming of jesus christ and wonders why no one hires him. I bought him a car so he could get on his l's only to find out he's waiting till he's 21 so he doesn't have to do the 120 hours of driving. fml....

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
A few Pet hates:

your and you're. They're different words and the sentence doesn't make sense if the wrong one's used.
there, their they're for the same reason as above.
Whether and weather, bought and brought, by and buy.
I don't think the word you's exists in the context it's often used (could be wrong) but when it becomes youse or use that's even worse.

I don't mind spelling mistakes and typos because it's accidental (not laziness) and you can still read what's written. But when the wrong word's used it becomes unreadable

I don't think the education system is the problem. My partner is an English teacher, and she's got some year 11's which can hardly read or write, even to a primary school standard. They don't care, they don't try, and when she call the parents to express her concern they don't care and can hardly string a coherent sentence together themselves. She's got kid's that don't submit any work, and she tracks down teachers from previous years and it turns out they've always been like that. She calls the parents and it's usually along the lines of "Oh well, he doesn't plan on finishing year 12 anyway". These are soon to be adults who can't read or write and their parent's are not fussed in the slightest. 90% of kids aren't like this though, and many are very intelligent (I've read some of their work) so the education seems to work for those who want it to.

When I was in high school my chemistry teacher was probably the harshest marker (even more so than my English) with regards to spelling. I'm glad he was because down the track at Uni, my Engineering reports and assignments often had a spelling and grammar component which was easy marks if that stuff was second nature to you. If your English skills were sloppy you'd easily lose 10% your mark which I just couldn't afford to do

Last edited:

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
However what pees me off is when people are just plain lazy. By typing up a thread in text talk rather than plain English, it says to me that person is too lazy to make an effort, yet expects us (the reader) to make the effort to read through and interpret their mess. Often they are asking us a question, yet they can't make an effort to type that question up in a easily readable format. I just skip past those threads because if they can't be bothered typing in plain English, I can't be bothered trying to read their SMS type message.

:clapping:

I ignore threads such as "HELP! VN runz like ****".