Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improving the handling on a ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
UPDATE !

I've just gone out and checked under my wagon and the coils are closer at the top as I originally felt it should be and they still have their "Top" tag attached at the upper end of the coil. I fitted them myself as it's a 10 minute job on a Live Axle.
I had them fitted because it was such a quick job. I don't have the tools in Town and only dirt to work on. I didn't want to wait two weeks when i have access to my shed. For 50 bucks i thought it was cheap enough to have them fitted. If i wasn't painting all last weekend I would have fitted them myself. In hindsight I wish i had but I was struggling for time and didn't feel like taking on a different job in between panel work.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not sure if mine were labelled or not but with them upside down they are binding so need flipping over, to make them work properly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Garage run out of time to get my springs flipped over. Reckon first thing in the morning. Bummed because I was really wanting to see if putting them in the right way around set the ute level or close too.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Good things come to those who wait.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Coils have been flipped over. There is now a gap in each coil as apposed to before where they were binding on the diff end. One thing is the ute didn't really drop after the flip as i had hoped, maybe 5mm. As it is its sitting 20mm higher than it used to in the rear. Issue with this is i now hit gutters in driveway crossings no matter how slow i go. Will look at having the fronts done later this year. I just need to piece together the bits i need like springs, shock boots and bearings. I was thinking of replacing the strut but pretty exi when my struts are still in good condition.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm wondering if refitting the tailgate and the ute box might be enough weight behind the axle to drop it 10mm.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
About 20 bags of 25kg cement in the back tray should help smoothing out the ride and give you better traction in the wet, lets face it if your driving on a unsealed road with corrugations and pot holes no wheel can give you a smoother ride, my vs has 17" and use to have 15" and I use to work on farms in the high country and travelled off road regular and both were no different in comfort. 17 are way better for the hard corners up there less roll on the walls..

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Not to many bags,

XlahVHc.jpg

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I have owned the following utes. An hg v8 (wish I still had that), a vy ss 2, A ve ss, and two vs v8's. I have never felt the need to put any weight
in the back to help with handling. I assure the forum that no one ever has been able to accuse me of driving like Nanna. As I have said previously
good suspension, good tyres, keep them pumped up. A trip to an advanced driving school wont go astray either.