Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improving the handling on a ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ummm are these upside down?
20200120_181222.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think the garage has fitted my coils upside down? Regardless the Lovells are a vast improvement over what was in there. They are far more comfortable. I haven't tested the handling yet as having them what i think is upside down I don't think they will handle properly.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just had the Lovells fitted at the garage next to work. Ute now sits 20mm higher in the rear than before. Will this settle down and drop a tad over a few weeks - months? It looks odd because it sat level before. I fitted standard height coils but they are slightly heavier duty compared to factory.
Kinda make me want to replace the fronts now to level it up.

Having them slightly heavier duty than standard, will cause the car to sit higher.....The difference I can't say.

It may settle a little over time, but don't expect it to be 20 MM lower.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Found out today wagon rear socks are different to ute. Not sure the difference but different part number and different listing for KYB.

Compare them side by side, if at all possible. I suspect it is what VS Lover mentioned

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Having them slightly heavier duty than standard, will cause the car to sit higher.....The difference I can't say.

It may settle a little over time, but don't expect it to be 20 MM lower.
Could also be that they are new and not 25 years old. Did you see the pic, are my suspicions correct and they are indeed upside down? I wonder if that has caused it to be a little tall in the rear.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
You will find it does not matter which way the springs are installed, they will work equally both ways.
I have had some springs that have left or right printed on them and would think they would have top or bottom printed on them if they needed to be installed that way.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I can't be sure but i believe as they are progressive springs the closer loops do need to be at the top. The place that sells them also fit them and they said closer loops on top. As it is some of the loops are touching each other on the diff end. I believe if they were reversed the closer loops would still have a gap. What i also think is the rear may sit lower as it will have more ability to compress.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ute is going back to the garage today. The coils are definitely upside down and as a result are binding. I'm hoping that once he flips them over the ute will sit closer to level as well, as the springs will be allowed to flex more.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
If I recall correctly when I fitted heavy duty King springs to my wagon back in 2001 due to having a gas tank and Dickie Seat in the rear, I'm sure that the springs were marked "top" at one end so that they would be fitted in the correct manner.

I guess adding a sticker tag costs money and we all know how much companies like to cut costs.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
UPDATE !

I've just gone out and checked under my wagon and the coils are closer at the top as I originally felt it should be and they still have their "Top" tag attached at the upper end of the coil. I fitted them myself as it's a 10 minute job on a Live Axle.