Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Info On Deleting Door Handles

BecStar

Kickstart My Heart...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Clubsport R8 - Vespers Blue
I saw an episode of Overhaulin' where this lady got her Chrysler wagon overhauled, they got rid of the door handles and all the lady had to do was put the back of her hand where the handles used to be and it would pop open.

There's this chick getting her VS done up at the panel shop next to our workshop, it's looking sooooo ugly at the moment. It's a v6 with a 'monkey kit'? There's fibreglass moulding stuff on the inside of the doors aswell and they're getting rid of the door handles. My first impression was that they were trying to make it look like a VE kit, the wheel archy bits have been flared out heaps.

Can't wait to see it when it's finished but I don't know how legal it is. Maybe its just a showcar...

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
he's not "smoothing a panel", he is installing a gay little gizmo

whats wrong with door handles? all cars have them... in fact the car will just look wierder without them

then he's gotta put up with ppl asking how to open the doors every time, and then have to explain like a nerd that he's gone to a lot of effort to install a useless doovalaky to try and impress people and make them think "wow, i wish one day i too can own a 1995 vs commodore with fully sik door handles"
if your into having an OTT ricer, then go ahead, whatever rocks your boat, but on an old commodore it just doesn't suit
monstrous bodykits and stupid gadgets like this go hand in hand

so where do you draw the line, what in your book is allowed without being a ricer, big wheels?, they were coming out on ricers while street machine were still going for 15" convo's and centrelines and stuff. Are clubbys ricers, they have a big body kit, what about the walkinshaw. I think if you like it, then do it and he's trying to get info to do it himself which is the best way to learn stuff.

tt460

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
so where do you draw the line, what in your book is allowed without being a ricer, big wheels?, they were coming out on ricers while street machine were still going for 15" convo's and centrelines and stuff. Are clubbys ricers, they have a big body kit, what about the walkinshaw. I think if you like it, then do it and he's trying to get info to do it himself which is the best way to learn stuff.

To me rice or ricer is a non performance or handling mod. putting a clubby kit on your stock V6 is rice but putting clubby suspension and brakes is not.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
i think most people make a decision on what they see on other people cars anyway, but somewhere along the way, someone has to take the risk and be the first to do something, anyway the biggest non performance, if anything performance reducing mod is big heavy boxes and subs in the boot but everyone doing it, rice? and bodykits are actually to reduce drag, when it comes down to it, buying modifying or whatever you do to a car, its personel choice, the rice vs muscle car thing is like holden vs ford, its just a bit of fun.

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
To me rice or ricer is a non performance or handling mod. putting a clubby kit on your stock V6 is rice but putting clubby suspension and brakes is not.

I don't mind if he wants to do it, but that is exactly what a ricer is...

Plus, if you think putting a bodykit and/or a spoiler on a stocky car is going to help wind resistance, then you are bloody kidding yourself. Unless you're hitting top-end speeds, it is making almost zero impact...

Either way, if you wanna make little things like that on your car its cool with me, its fun to work on your car and make it your own, I love learning to do little things like that.
If I had time and less important things to do, I'd probably have a go at something like that myself...maybe ;)

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
am not gonna get into a debate as to what is "ricer" and what is not

but this particular type of modification is lame, especially on an old commodore

I have removed the lock barrels and smoothed the handle surround to the door metal on mine, i guess thats riceresque aswell?

unfortunately... yes

Last edited:

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline

Better take the cd player and speakers out of your car mate considering that its a non performance or handling mod. it will only add weight to your performance oriented vs.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
am not gonna get into a debate as to what is "ricer" and what is not

but this particular type of modification is lame, especially on an old commodore

unfortunately... yes

fortunately for some though, id rather a nice clean smooth old commodore than a boring looking stocker.(note: i havent even bothered to look for any pics of your car, so if my comment offends you, tuff titties)

i bet you hate my bmw, projector headlights, clear indicators, shaved door locks, repainted :O stretched tyres, aftermarket chrome mirrors.

i bet its making you sick just reading that list of some of my non-performance orientated mods.

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
fortunately for some though, id rather a nice clean smooth old commodore than a boring looking stocker.(note: i havent even bothered to look for any pics of your car, so if my comment offends you, tuff titties)

i bet you hate my bmw, projector headlights, clear indicators, shaved door locks, repainted :O stretched tyres, aftermarket chrome mirrors.

i bet its making you sick just reading that list of some of my non-performance orientated mods.

i never said i don't like non-performance mods, i just don't like the whole hi-tech/gimmiky/hidden door handle thing... especially on a commodore

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
ATTACK HIM HE CALLED A COMMODORE A RICER, HE MUST DIE!!!!!!:rolleyes: LMAO
Can't people just have an opinion without it being personal?
It's all fun and games till somebody loose a nail, he he he.