Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing mace stage 3 cam into ecotec

Rebt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s2 ute
So im doing a dirty rebuild on a s2 vy ecotec and iinstalling a stage 3 cam from mace. Ive been told that because of the double row timing chain, i have to get rid of my harmonic balancer. Just wondering how true this is, how safe it is for the engine, and how people have plugged the hole if i have to do it. Any other advice on the rebuild would be handy to know. Im getting a shop to clean the block and install cam bearings and getting the heads done at a shop too. I have honed the cylinders with a super cheap tool as well ( hope i did it right)
Cheers in advance for any advice given

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Me thinks more research is required because there is no reason to remove the harmonic balancer and leave it off.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I think your confusing the balance shaft with harmonic balancer.

I believe they want you to leave the drive gear off the balance shaft.

You can't leave your balancer off because what will your serpentine belt attach to lol.

And yes you can run without the balance shaft, I did in my V6 for years after the balance shaft bearings got a bit noisy, I didn't notice much difference in vibration to be honest.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
Unless you’re pulling the engine out or dropping the gearbox, remove the balance shaft gear and leave the shaft in there to ‘block’ the rear bearing journal oil gallery. If the shaft is removed you’ll need to tap a grub screw into the oil gallery to block it, accessed from the rear of the block behind the rear seal plate. I removed mine, grub screwed the port and made up a small alloy gallery block in the seal plate to be extra sure (image below).

Attachments

• A8DFCCE7-00DE-46BE-8763-93826AC51EC7.jpeg
    A8DFCCE7-00DE-46BE-8763-93826AC51EC7.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 150