Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Instrument cluster bad Integrated chip

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I was wondering about that one too. It does look like the smoke had been let out of that one. :)

My first impression when I saw the first post was that the OP was looking in the wrong place. But they reported that it still works (albeit intermittently).
May be that chip isn't a fully hooked chain smoker so it can run for a while and still continue to have a litle fag every now and then :p

Aalbloshi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore WL / Caprice 2005 SS
The IC outlined in red is probably a voltage regulator. But exactly what type it is hard to determine from the photo.

First off, try and see if you can identify any numbers and markings on the case of that IC. Sometimes the conformal coating makes seeing the numbers somewhat difficult. So try looking at it under strong light from several different angles. Sometimes I find taking photos (with the flash off, and with the flash on) sometimes shows the markings and numbers on the IC. If you can get some photos, post them up.

If you can’t make out any identifying markings on the IC, the next approach to determining what the IC might be is to make some assumptions and some measurements. If it is a voltage regulator, the large tab (at the top of the photo) is likely to be the ground. Using a multimeter (and with the dash powered up) carefully measure the voltages on the other five pins - but be very careful not to short out any of the pins while doing the measurement. I can’t stress the last bit enough - one slip may cause irreparable damage elsewhere in the circuitry.

For example, the following diagram is the pinout of a PPAK voltage regulator (but it might not be the same as the one on your board). By doing the voltage measurements, you’ll be able to see if the voltage measurements align with the pinout from the data sheet I’ve randomly picked from the web.

The other very useful thing to measure is the voltage of the ‘Vout’ pin. I’d hazard to guess that it’ll be 5V but it might be 3.3V (or something else).

Also, just to put out some alternative suggestions… capacitors, especially electrolytic capacitors, are probably a more likely failure point. So if it’s a guessing game, maybe try replacing the two capacitors first? They are the ‘can’ shaped devices near (what we are guessing is) the regulator.

View attachment 257778
I’ll Get a multimeter and Gonna Check it soon, and I’ll update you with The pics and stuff

Kloz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden WM 6.0
Ive got the same issue in my caprice 2006 - and i haven’t yet opened it but i have a replacement cluster from my old caprice same model, ill try to fix the damageed one and ill let you know what happens- المشكله لو بغيت اخلي العداد القديم ممشاه 290 والي على الموتر الحين 190 ومابي اغير الممشى

Aalbloshi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ive got the same issue in my caprice 2006 - and i haven’t yet opened it but i have a replacement cluster from my old caprice same model, ill try to fix the damageed one and ill let you know what happens- المشكله لو بغيت اخلي العداد القديم ممشاه 290 والي على الموتر الحين 190 ومابي اغير الممشى
Yea Please let me know what’s the Issue with it, and yeah it’s expensive to Copy paste the old odo readings that’s why i’m also Finding the solution of the problem some say it’s the IC

Kloz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden WM 6.0
Yea Please let me know what’s the Issue with it, and yeah it’s expensive to Copy paste the old odo readings that’s why i’m also Finding the solution of the problem some say it’s the IC
Update! , ive just fixed mine and still under testing, the problem with mine is while the car is off the screen keeps flicking(odo reading) and while driving it completely shuts off and reboots, ive changed the voltage regulator but no luck, so ive tested the 2 caps connected to the regulator and it turned out that they are the problem, so what i changed them and now the cluster is running perfectly, and i did change the screen also from doner cluster.

Aalbloshi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update! , ive just fixed mine and still under testing, the problem with mine is while the car is off the screen keeps flicking(odo reading) and while driving it completely shuts off and reboots, ive changed the voltage regulator but no luck, so ive tested the 2 caps connected to the regulator and it turned out that they are the problem, so what i changed them and now the cluster is running perfectly, and i did change the screen also from doner cluster.
Do u have a picture of it? By the way your Cluster did the same Issue as mine? Whole cluster turns off and on ?

Kloz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden WM 6.0
Do u have a picture of it? By the way your Cluster did the same Issue as mine? Whole cluster turns off and on ?
Unfortunately I assembled the cluster already. yes it did, shuts off and on by its self .. the two capacitors circled are the issue
IMG_8739.jpeg

Aalbloshi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unfortunately I assembled the cluster already. yes it did, shuts off and on by its self .. the two capacitors circled are the issueView attachment 262949
Oh, I haven’t fixed mine, i’m looking for a donor Cluster to transfer the Integrated parts Btw thanks for the information شكرا يا غالي

Reactions: Lex

Kloz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden WM 6.0
Oh, I haven’t fixed mine, i’m looking for a donor Cluster to transfer the Integrated parts Btw thanks for the information شكرا يا غالي
You welcome! .. check with electronics store for the parts they can provide you with the needed ICs or regulators or caps .. using donor is not a good idea for those components as they might go bad soon .. حاضرين واذا تبغى اي مساعده انا موجود

Aalbloshi

Reaction score
Members Ride
You welcome! .. check with electronics store for the parts they can provide you with the needed ICs or regulators or caps .. using donor is not a good idea for those components as they might go bad soon .. حاضرين واذا تبغى اي مساعده انا موجود
Alright, I opened up my cluster today and It was Slightly different from the above picture, anyway i changed the both capacitors and still testing, but i suspect that the speed needle is not telling the correct speed even though it’s on the same Position i recalibrated it. I was testing the cluster the Speed needle is slow on 15 or 20 kmph then feels smooth on 40 60s not sure if it’s correct or not انت عندينا اس اس؟

Last edited: