Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Insurance for P Platers

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
nicko can you go through the entire process of the abn thing for me please?

like where did you apply for the ABN, what details did you put down that made you eligible for the ABN?

What insurance company are you with?

give me the whole shibang!

You can apply for an ABN online at the ATO web site. Basically you are just registering a business. Takes about 10min and costs nothing. I have one for contract work I do on the side of my regular job.

I'll admit I'm interested by this concept too, but there is no way I'm going to attempt to do it without talking to an accountant - I don't want to get done over for tax evasion or whatever.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You can apply for an ABN online at the ATO web site. Basically you are just registering a business. Takes about 10min and costs nothing. I have one for contract work I do on the side of my regular job.

I'll admit I'm interested by this concept too, but there is no way I'm going to attempt to do it without talking to an accountant - I don't want to get done over for tax evasion or whatever.

It could even constitute fraud. Either way, there's a risk.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
ok this sucks, either way insurance companies suck hairy balls

pugga

More Power!!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 HSV Maloo R8
I drive a VS V6, the mods and stereo are worth more then the car but i only have 3rd party fire and theft. By the time i pay 1400 bucks to justcar, then 1100 for excess not worth the effort, i paid last time $450 3rd party and i keep the other money i saved and put it in another bank account so when and if i have a crash i can pick up another VS/car the same day no problems.

full comp is the way to go at the end of day so you don't have to worry about anything but then you have the hassles of getting money out them anyhow being a P plater, Its going to be hard anyway.

I picked up a VS that got smashed up the arse for $1000, the car still drives and has a 3 year old gas system on it. VS are worth **** and if needed i have everything i need to fix mine for less then full comp.

End of the day its just another bullshit money making scheme

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
ok this sucks, either way insurance companies suck hairy balls

Just do your own comprehensive insurance - buy the relatively cheap 3rd party fire/theft, which will start earning you a NCD, and put aside the money you saved not getting comp into a rainy day fund, so if you do have a bingle you've got a bit of cash to get you back on the road. If you don't, then it's still your money!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
LOL @ this thread.

OP, I tend to agree with others, for the value of your car, hardly worth insuring it considering its 1/2 the cost of the vehicle.

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
best i could get for my car last year for full comp was 3500, ended up going with aami for third party with some special deal that i start off at rating 5, which of course ended up meaning it was cheaper than the others because as rating 6 it was always higher. so now the option for full comp is 2400 because im almost rating 4.

but theres still no way ill fork out more than 1000-1500 for full comp, at least not for this car.

mking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged vs caprice sII
insurance is bs i got a quote for a vs caprice v6 on my green p's no crash history etc and it was $3700.00 + 1000 excess, got my dad to get a quote with me as a 2nd driver regularly which my finance company is cool with its $1200.00 with 1000 excess which is all good

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
im sure there are plenty of people that this has happened to. i know quite a few actually

Yep thats me ive crashed 2 cars worth less than $1000 i just went and bought another one. 1st was my $500 VK iand I crashed that. no biggie i went and bought a $1000 VK calais someone crashed into me and i got a $4000 payout i bought the car nack for $350 and then sold it for $500 so in total i made a $3150 profit out of that one not bad imo and i went out and bought another car for $3000. Both tthese cars were only covered for 3rd party. When i came to melbourne my VP i paid $1200 for i got quoted $3300 for full comp and a market of $2500 what a rip off i ended up going with just cars 3rd fire and theft $330. To me theres no point going full comp unless your a **** driver or you have an expensive or irreplaceable car.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
To me theres no point going full comp unless your a **** driver or you have an expensive or irreplaceable car.

Or if you want a guarantee you'll always have a car on the road ;)

Do rich people not insure their mansion just because they can afford another?