Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intake manifold gasket

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
45 an hour, most mechanics start at 90 an hour. Some are 120 an hour. But yes I would pay the extra hour any day to have it cleaned properly.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
45 an hour, most mechanics start at 90 an hour. Some are 120 an hour. But yes I would pay the extra hour any day to have it cleaned properly.

Mainland mechanics start at $120 P/H......K-mart mechanics charge $130 P/H on the mainland

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There you go. A few blokes are around 90 in Launceston. KTAS was 120 might be 130 now. My trans tech is 110 inc GST and he books out for three months min.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
And I bet most wouldn't be as anal about doing the job right as I do on my own cars...

Kinda shows you how long it's been since I paid someone to work on my cars!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think it depends on what you get done at the mech. I had two struts rebuilt and new arms fitted for 120 bucks and that was both sides. I supplied parts saving me a **** load. That job would have taken me 3-4hrs at a guess. No idea how long the mech took but man he must be well rehearsed, because 60 bucks a side not worth the hassle for me to do it myself.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
And I bet most wouldn't be as anal about doing the job right as I do on my own cars...

Very hard finding a mechanic that is anal working on other peoples cars.....It's a case of searching.

That said, i prefer doing work on my own cars too....That way, if it turns to crap, I can only blame myself

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Do you really like your car and how much cash you want to spend depends on how clean it gets I guess $80 is $80 I would have liked to degrease and clean it up but the owner doesn't look under the bonnet and $80 must be more important. I wouldn't let my car get that dirty to start with if the car is filthy and the owner don't care why should anyone that works on it for 2 hours care?
full

Can you make it any cheaper? Otherwise come time to pay and they say Ive only got $50 left till next fortnight can you let me off $50. Happens alot.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That's why I'd be a **** mechanic as I like to do things properly to ensure the job is done right like giving the mating surfaces a really good clean and chasing the threads, cleaning the bolts etc but those things take time. I see poor quality work done regularly because the boss is bitching about deadlines but the problem is that mentality creeps into the day to day work ethic and then real **** ups occur that end up in re-work costing the company more money in the long run...

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim

You're talking about me again aren't you !!!! and that's why so many cars end up at wrecking yards nowadays.

I like to do things properly to ensure the job is done right like giving the mating surfaces a really good clean and chasing the threads, cleaning the bolts etc but those things take time.

Thus if I was pedalling my services to others I'd go broke. Well that's what everyone keeps on telling me.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
95% of mechanics start off with a spring in their step and mountains of enthusiasm..after a number of years dealing with the same crap and moaning customers end up punching em through..Most place's will just do the flip the inlet to one side, with a quick clean, slap the gasket on with a slop of goo...
Honestly if your going to drive a +10yo car you need to be able to work on em yourself or drive em into the ground and move on...around ere if we cant fix it we go without ;)