Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intake manifold gasket

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I'd be asking for an estimate, based on say max 4hrs labour plus parts, say $150 for a really good aluminium gasket set and 50 bucks for coolant..
Your link are the Mace aluminium intake gaskets which are $80.00.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Your link are the Mace aluminium intake gaskets which are $80.00.

Yes and if I had an Eco I would fit an ali gasket over a standard one any day. The mech will probably want to supply parts if he is warranting the work and with freight and GST ali gasket set could end up costing $150.

If it was my bus I would do the job myself and pay $80 plus freight and coolant. But the OP is having the work done, therefore like I said he probably won't pay cost price for anything.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
https://www.maceengineering.com.au/epages/shop.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/mace/Products/GSK601

Yeah I was a tad over Mace have them for $80 at the moment. Although it is unlikely mech shop will use eBay and pass on the savings, more likely Repco and will have RRP plus GST.

Hummm, the mechanic buys wholesale + GST...When buying at RRP, (ie recommended retail price)as you are suggesting will happen with the OP, the GST component is already included in the price.

The only GST that should show up on an invoice with a mechanic fitting the part, should be in the labour costs

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
When I have work done i get charged a price then GST is on top. We run a business and we charge what ever we like for materials GST is the last thing to go on. In theory RRP would include GST but not always in the final figure. We charge our cost, plus GST and often a profit margin as well. That is regardless if GST has already been applied and regardless of whether we pay trade or retail.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What i am saying is the mech might charge him lets say 120 for parts and 300 labor, on top of that GST is applied at the end. This is how businesses operate. In theory you can pay GST twice or five times. Because the business might charge his retail including GST. He doesn't have to pass on what he claims back. Even if retail is say 120 the business still needs to pay GST on what ever the final figure is. No well run business pays its own GST on the final job, they would lose money. Now he may include GST in the price of the parts and make less profit or he may not.

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The job should take a competent mechanic no more than 2 hours tops as they never clean any parts they remove, just remove and replace and hope it all works out. Cleaning bits and pieces just adds to the labour cost of employing a bloke.

As Wozza suggested I'd be doing a job like that myself but then that's me I guess.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My mech was going to clean all the parts hence why he said three hours. If paying someone else i would want everything cleaned best it can be within reason, despite the extra 1hr or more of labor.

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
I just did this for the first time myself a couple of weeks ago. Its surprisingly quite easy to do - theres a How To guide on here which walks you through everything

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What i am saying is the mech might charge him lets say 120 for parts and 300 labor, on top of that GST is applied at the end. This is how businesses operate. In theory you can pay GST twice or five times. Because the business might charge his retail including GST. He doesn't have to pass on what he claims back. Even if retail is say 120 the business still needs to pay GST on what ever the final figure is. No well run business pays its own GST on the final job, they would lose money. Now he may include GST in the price of the parts and make less profit or he may not.

When the final bill is handed for payment, it should have a total price, with a figure stating the GST component of that bill....This also happens when you buy goods from a store, what ever it maybe....The price, with a figure stating the GST component of the goods....A wholesaler will say the cost of the goods, then say plus GST....When the bill goes to them it will have the total price, with the figure stating the Gst component

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The job should take a competent mechanic no more than 2 hours tops as they never clean any parts they remove, just remove and replace and hope it all works out. Cleaning bits and pieces just adds to the labour cost of employing a bloke.

As Wozza suggested I'd be doing a job like that myself but then that's me I guess.

That's really poor form, at the very least you need to clean all the injector boss's before removing the plenum to reduce the chance of damaging an injector O ring and have a heap of crap falling into the intake runner. Injector O rings also need to be cleaned and lubed before re-assembly or you risk pinching an O ring and worst case having a massive air leak.

TBH, If I was paying someone to do the job I would still grab a can of engine degreaser and cleaning the critical parts before dropping the car off because paying someone $45+ an hour to clean **** is an expensive exercise.