Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

interior leak in 87 vl

sam roycroft

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore 3.8 v6
Okay so I bought a vl and there is alot of condensation on the windows and smells of mould inside the front door leaks alittle when I washed it sounds retarded but what's the best solutions to stop any air gaps are the door seals stuffed, are the doors bolted on the right spot I don't know need advice
Cheers guys

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
water can leak thru the windscreen surrounds due to rust, this water often finishes up on front carpet below dash, the door drain holes may be blocked
doors are removed by removing hinge pins, these are hollow so it may seem they a rent there
good luck

sam roycroft

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore 3.8 v6
Yea mate windscreen was the problem previous owner delt to it with a **** load of silicon so I have to clean it up and do abit of panelbeating haha

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Look behind the kick panel on the passenger side (where the ecu is located) this is another common place to collect water.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
best way is to get a mate to go around the car with a hose while you sit inside looking for leaks. Another good way is an automatic car wash as sometimes you need high volumes of water to replicate rain.

If the door seals are stuffed, they'll be all hard, cracked torn, chunks missing etc. If they are in reasonable condition, it might be a matter of adjusting the door catch to pull the door in tighter against the seals (if water is leaking though the seal). Sometimes if it's only the top door frame portion of the seal leaking, the only fix is to bend the upper door/window frame in. Wind the window all the way down, knee on the inside of the door solid metal part not the door trim... grab hold of the top of the door frame and pull towards the car a few times. Sounds rough, but it's the only way to do it (we used to do this at Holden dealers to fix water leaks and wind noises, particularly on VN-VS)

I'd also be lifting up the carpet and drying it all out. If it smells mouldy, you probably need to pull the entire carpet and underlay out, hang it on the clothesline, hose it off and let it dry out & spray some deodoriser on it before refitting. If you let the wet carpet sit in the car, it's going to stink and rust the floor out

l.k.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sidi sv6 2010 1988 vl vacationer
Okay so I bought a vl and there is alot of condensation on the windows and smells of mould inside the front door leaks alittle when I washed it sounds retarded but what's the best solutions to stop any air gaps are the door seals stuffed, are the doors bolted on the right spot I don't know need advice
Cheers guys

try a few things, like that have been suggested. clean up rust in windscreen frame, the silicone will only exasperate the problem. the panel by the computer left hand side (there is a seam where the water drains down inside the inner guard and this blows out with rust expansion over time. had that particular problem, too with a vn. bodies are assembled similarly) also check the flat panel area under the bonnet where the water collects and drains down the hole to run out down the inner guard on the drivers side . both my vl's have had issues there. as for door seals, try finding any with doors sealing as they did when they were new, but not all of them leak, just drafty and wind-noisy. best of luck, i can empathise.

sam roycroft

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore 3.8 v6
Just an update I took off the windscreen and found alot of rust holes so I patched them rust treated everything and windscreen back in, no leaks at all thanks for you help guys