Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interior roof light

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
I have a Redline wagon and used to have a CalaisV. Thing 1 liked to sit in the back of the CalaisV sometimes and read using the small reading lights on the rear interior roof light. Whenever we go out in the Redline he complains about it not having the reading lights (the redline just has a single large light that only comes on when the front interior light is on).

Has anyone swapped out the single rear light for the CalaisV type light that has the reading lights? is it a straight swap? If it is I am thinking I would order the rear light part from the CalaisV and install it myself into the redline.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
I have a Redline wagon and used to have a CalaisV. Thing 1 liked to sit in the back of the CalaisV sometimes and read using the small reading lights on the rear interior roof light. Whenever we go out in the Redline he complains about it not having the reading lights (the redline just has a single large light that only comes on when the front interior light is on).

Has anyone swapped out the single rear light for the CalaisV type light that has the reading lights? is it a straight swap? If it is I am thinking I would order the rear light part from the CalaisV and install it myself into the redline.

I sussed this out on a recent Caprice I had and it looks like it might be the same plug and just a straight swap over. I havent got my car yet as its being built so will have to wait till i get the car to find out.

gucci

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
My solution

I had the same issue. Lot's of country driving and the kid's were used to rear reading lights on the Pajero. $60k car and no rear reading lights??

I brought this light from Ebay. (Genuine Holden Commodore VE Rear Roof Interior MAP Light Urban | eBay)

The rear plug in the Redline only has power for the dome light and earth. The map light replacement needs power for backlit LED switches and reading lights power. You will also need a 4 pin female ATX extender from a computer shop.

I found power for LED switches and reading lights from the front reading light/dome light console. In that six pin plug, the power for reading lights is the white/brown wire. LED backlit switches power is the yellow wire.

I spliced in (used fancy scotch clips ... only had the car two months and am still a bit gun shy about hacking into the wiring harnesses) ran wires to the back of the car. Attached ATX extender to the factory harness. Cut the wires on the extender (top ones from memory) and soldered into power wires from the front. Plugged it all in and hey presto.... rear reading lights.

Power from front reading lights
P9010022.jpg

4 Pin female ATX connector to rear reading lights
P9010023.jpg

Connecting ATX connector to factory harness
P9010024.jpg

End result with backlit LED switch lights working
P9010027.jpg

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
I had the same issue. Lot's of country driving and the kid's were used to rear reading lights on the Pajero. $60k car and no rear reading lights??

I brought this light from Ebay. (Genuine Holden Commodore VE Rear Roof Interior MAP Light Urban | eBay)

The rear plug in the Redline only has power for the dome light and earth. The map light replacement needs power for backlit LED switches and reading lights power. You will also need a 4 pin female ATX extender from a computer shop.

I found power for LED switches and reading lights from the front reading light/dome light console. In that six pin plug, the power for reading lights is the white/brown wire. LED backlit switches power is the yellow wire.

I spliced in (used fancy scotch clips ... only had the car two months and am still a bit gun shy about hacking into the wiring harnesses) ran wires to the back of the car. Attached ATX extender to the factory harness. Cut the wires on the extender (top ones from memory) and soldered into power wires from the front. Plugged it all in and hey presto.... rear reading lights.

Power from front reading lights
View attachment 183621

4 Pin female ATX connector to rear reading lights
View attachment 183622

Connecting ATX connector to factory harness
View attachment 183623

End result with backlit LED switch lights working
View attachment 183624

Thanks for the write up, I did pull apart the Caprice V I had and took photos of everything.

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
Amazeballs Gucci. Well done. Now I know it is possible the missus will let me buy the lights.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Yep I installed a Calais V rear light in my redline wagon. Genuine Holden part. Fits straight in. You just need to run a positive cable from the front overhead light. Piece of piss

klokan747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Manual Sedan
Thanks to gucci for the photos and detailed info about this.

I installed it yesterday, as arronm mentioned, you only need to run one cable back from the front overhead light, the positive cable (white with brown stripe).

I cut it and used heat shrink crimps for all connections. I have a sunroof which actually made access easier, I just ran the cable in the roof lining around the cutout tucked it in under where the trim folds over onto itself, its safe and secure there.

I cut the original rear ATX connector off and spliced in my own (had one here from a old PC build). I connected the original 2 cables to their respective ports on the new ATX connector and connected the positive cable to the other 2 ports.

Looks factory and works great, thanks again for this info - my kids are most appreciative. Very easy mod for $50 and about 30mins.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, so here is the next challenge, in the Caprice V (unsure of Calais V) the rear door handles have the little blue lights just like the front ones do, but the redline doesnt get the rear little lights like the Caprice V does. So is it a matter of swapping the door trims? or cutting out the little hole and fitting the little blue LED light?

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
Mine arrives today or tomorrow. Plan to install the roof light and the DRL dimmer on the weekend and use it as an object lesson with my eldest boy... teach him a bit of auto-elecctrical type stuff... how to work on your own car instead of paying the dealership to do stuff they prob wont do right anyhow... :) (apologies to any dealer mech's reading... it ain't your fault... really.)