Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Introduction - 1984 VK Calais

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
changing the cam isn't a big job on it's own, in fact a 202 is one of the simplest engines to change the cam
the problem is, it's an EFI engine with an old analogue L-Jetronic ECU. There's no 'chip' or memcal that can be easily swapped/tuned etc to suit the new cam profile. So really you'd need to change the engine management system so that you could tune it. If you swapped the cam without a tune, the engine would run like crap and/or use even more fuel etc

And yes the EFI 202 did come out with a fairly decent set of headers/extractors, so I don't think you'd see much gains by replacing them with pacemaker.
So in a nutshell, there's probably not a lot you can do with the EFI 202's, without upgrading the engine management system. If you are serious about it though, there is a really good thread on the Delco Hacking forum about converting the EFI 202 to a Delco ECU.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
as sandman stated above,mild cam and head work will improve her massively,set of extractors and bob's your uncle-lol

You do realize the injected VK 202's came with extractors OEM?? Darren summed it up pretty well. The OEM extractors were actually pretty good units. Beyond getting the motor back to factory spec don't expect any huge gains without a lot of pain on the ECU side of things. If it were mine and I was wanting more tidy fast, I'd look at an injected 5 litre conversion which is quite straight forward after you are off your P plates.

VKCALAISV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1 V6
Thanks Scotty, considering im still on Ps and all I won't be able to seriously go for this until at least May next year. Thankyou though.

No worries mate!

The offer is there an I'm in no hurry to get rid of it yet, as I said it's been sitting there in the same spot in the garage under a sheet for the last 12 odd years what's a little bit longer!

Cheers,

Scotty.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
the cam is not that hard to do if you are already pulling the motor out,hardest part is getting the guides/bearings pressed in which most engine shops will do for you at a price of course-lol

not too sure about the efi extractors,

is yours efi or carby

either way any exhaust shop or even naaf (not an abba fan) should be able to help you out

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
I'd say leave it as is until you can get the engine set up you really want, no point in spending money on an engine that will come out in 6 months mate.

benjiaka

You Gon Ride or die?
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Calais 1985
Like above mate, I'd just keep focusing on the body work, interior etc and wait out on the engine until you have the money to spend on your engine. If this is long term then no easy decisions will be made.. Keep it up buddy

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Do It once and do it right has always been a good motto to live by and im sure a lot of guys will agree with that on here, workout the kinks and nigly things while she's still running good, THEN get at the driveline :)

Project_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Yeah that's a good plan for sure. Speaking of keeping the bodywork tip-top I bought some Swissvax 30% Carnauba wax and prep cleaner. This stuff sells for up to $1,450.00 a tub. I found a retailer near my work, it was good to have a chat to some blokes with an obsessive eye for detail as me.

Anyway I didn't spend $1,450 on wax. I bought a 50ml tub good for maybe 5-6 full cars and am looking forward to using the best wax available on the VK (and the TX5) seeing as though we have good weather for cup day. I will post some photos.

Edit: If you're curious, here is the link for the insanely expensive wax Swissvax Western Australia: Crystal Rock - Paul Dalton's state-of-the-art Carnauba-Glaze, 200ml

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
How much was the 50ml tub mate?

Project_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
$33.00. Also you need the prep cleaner, a further $27.00 it acts as a 'bonder' for the wax.

It's almost eccentric in that they suggest to warm the wax and apply it with your hands!

A six pack, applying thousand dollar wax with my bare hands on cup eve. Gonna be some modern art ****