Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

iPad head unit installation

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
So i hope im not the only one who has thought about my below points.

1. You have just taken a stereo system that works and added to more links to the chain, making the system all the more prone to failure.
2. you do realise there are ADR's around rearview mirrors. Also does the camera disengage whilst driving? And how much rearview mirror are you left with?
3. What will you use to combat glare? You cant tell me that at no point whilst driving on a sunny day that the screen wont get glare.
4. Not having a solid go to point for your hand will mean that you are more likely to focus on the ipad whilst driving to change volume and select songs. same goes for the HVAC lcd. Again you cant tell me you'll never get distracted by it.
5. This seems like alot of work just to have touch controls, which will suck when software crash's/fails.

I'd hate to be negative.

Whilst you have made valid points above, not everyone is like you where they need to fiddle with their HVAC and radio controls every 5 seconds.

1. I too agree that there are too many links in the chain, but if someone wants to do it that way, what concern is it of yours?

2. Valid point, won't argue here.

3. In regards to glare, this can be easily prevented using an anti-glare screen protector.

4. Not everyone is doing this for the sake of solely listening to music. There are many applications including a huge GPS screen (+1 for safety), monitoring statistics of their car as well as many other benefits. And again, not everyone feels the need to adjust these settings and change songs every 5 seconds.

5. It is a fair bit of work, but the end result is fantastic. Besides what makes you think that the software will crash/fail?

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
I wasn't trying to sounds negative.

More so highlighting observations i had made. I was just looking to get some feedback from people doing it and why.

You sir have done that rather respectfully (contrary to popular fashion round thsee parts). i commend that.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
As SpydeR said, the iPad itself provides a lot more than just playing some tunes, currently it's one of the most customizable tablets in the world in terms of applications, and it will only get better.

It's 2012, sooner or later this will be a baseline for all car factory head units.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Yeah, maybe i am just getting old in my mind.

Becasue IMO (not saying you can't or shouldn't do it) but when im driving, im driving. the cd thats in there plays and thats it.

I just cant see the point in have so much function/customisation glued to your centre console. But hey each to their own

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
As SpydeR said, the iPad itself provides a lot more than just playing some tunes, currently it's one of the most customizable tablets in the world in terms of applications, and it will only get better.

And when you jailbreak, and you will with an iPad install, the possibilities are endless. From auto unlocking the device, to pausing music automatically when power is no longer sensed.

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Becasue IMO (not saying you can't or shouldn't do it) but when im driving, im driving. the cd thats in there plays and thats it.

That's exactly my attitude when driving and I'm still a P Plater.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Yeah, maybe i am just getting old in my mind.

I just cant see the point in have so much function/customisation glued to your centre console. But hey each to their own

Fair enough, I guess you could say I'm very interested and savvy when it comes to technology, I like to keep up to date with the times and play around with whatever I can.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Ok so this is a response to some_guy
1: my stereo has been long gone for some time now and I have no regrets, if anything having an iPad will reduce the links in my audio chain.
2: the camera will auto switch but yes there is a lack of real-estate but i think this is a minor issue.
3: anti glare covers and the hvac unit will be indented in the dash were the green screen was.
4: the iPad should never be touched by the driver the steering wheal controls will be able to navigate the tracks.
5: all stereos have software that can fail, i don't see your point.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Oh and to SpydeR it makes things much better to install a new stereo, then you can get sw controls of the iPad and better quality sound.