Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
Enjoy that! Will be watching from down south.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Really the concept of buying a ZB is like this:

You had no arm and somebody miraculously managed to attach a perfectly looking and functioning robot limb. Then you decide to saw it off and replace it with one that doesn't bend at the elbow and fingers that struggle to even pick your nose.

bradles024

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR8
I don't mind the look of the wagon I seen one on the road last week it seems like quite a good car with some good features but it just doesn't appeal to me. I don't plan on getting rid of my vf, it will just become a weekend car eventually.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Personally, I strongly doubt I'll look at (imported 4cyl FWD is not a commodore in my book..), and I actually find it a little bit insulting that Holden expect it to sell simply because it has a commodore badge on it..it's like someone in the marketing department said 'these idiots will buy anythin

I haven't read many of the posts on this thread (yet) still skimming them.

I think the new marketing department at Holden need to re-educate themselves about Holden.

They have to understand their customers and the environment the car will be used in. Holden (and Ford) have given the large front wheel drive car a chance, so I don't know how the people in charge were convinced to give up the Commodore badge because those other cars weren't worthy of such a bonus. A front wheel drive car can be setup to handle neutrally in most road conditions but then it gets a bit old a bit quicker. The driver must now adapt to the front wheel drive unpredictability.

The rear wheel drive car just continues to behave like a rear wheel drive car, as it gets older it becomes more predictable.

These new Holden marketing people will be the death of the badge. They think they are only selling new cars to new people, they don't understand the market leading position over the years has lead to families being brought up in and around Holdens and learning to drive in big Holdens. The big rear wheel drive Holden (or its Ford mate) were always in the background.
If the new Holden marketing people are right in thinking that selling another front wheel drive (4 or 6 cylinder) car is what their traditional market wants, then why didn't those cars sell into their traditional market segment before? There are plenty of front wheel drive cars available from other car makers.
Now that they have killed off the Holden's Holden, they have to compete head on with so many more cars. The badge doesn't mean much if the car doesn't have its traditional points of difference.

New buyers have direct feature comparisons to make now and who knows if a front wheel drive Holden will feel better to drive in 30,000 kms than any of the other front wheel drive cars that are already on the roads now.

They should have called it a Holden ...... something else

Last edited:

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
My prediction:

The ZB Commodore will last until 2021... it has to as GM no longer owns Opel. At that point they will retire the name Commodore.

I predict Holden as a badge will also disappear in the next 5 years. New vehicles coming in will be badged Chev or something else. It doesn't make sense for a global company to continue spending money on a badge for a relatively small market.

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
My prediction:

The ZB Commodore will last until 2021... it has to as GM no longer owns Opel. At that point they will retire the name Commodore.

I predict Holden as a badge will also disappear in the next 5 years. New vehicles coming in will be badged Chev or something else. It doesn't make sense for a global company to continue spending money on a badge for a relatively small market.
Adza, sure as **** it wont last as long as current model Pajero.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
I predict Holden as a badge will also disappear in the next 5 years. New vehicles coming in will be ...

I wonder if a Chinese company will buy the Holden badge?
They bought the brand "Energy Australia" and so much of the country, who knows what else...

Actually, if a Chinese company buys the Holden badge that GM doesn't want anymore, I hope they are smart enough to buy the VF platform/designs etc.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
I did read somewhere that when the Camaro is released in Oz it will still carry the Chev badges and not Holden ones. So I think you can bet your arse the Holden name will be gone in a few years.

i just wish GM sold Elizabeth and related Zeta property to the Punch Group.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
What else would the Camaro be but a Chevrolet , GM have killed off Pontiac , Oldsmobile , both names with a longer history than Holden , so would they care if the name dies .

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
I haven't read many of the posts on this thread (yet) still skimming them.

I think the new marketing department at Holden need to re-educate themselves about Holden.

They were the BIG fish in their own big pond, but now that they have opened up the pond to all the other types of fish, they are a new fish amongst so many others, they are the new fish (still training).

They have to understand their customers and the environment the car will be used in. Holden (and Ford) have given the large front wheel drive car a chance, so I don't know how they were convinced to give up the Commodore badge because those cars weren't worthy of such a bonus. A front wheel drive car can be setup to handle neutrally in most road conditions but then it gets a bit old a bit quicker. The driver must adapt as it can behave unexpectedly (because it is older)

The rear wheel drive car just behaves like a rear wheel drive car, as it gets older it becomes more predictable. Rear wheel drive cars can be driven longer (in my opinion) with less attention to maintenance on the handling/suspension side.

These new Holden marketing people will be the death of the badge. They think they are only selling new cars to new people, they don't understand the market leading position over the years has lead to families being brought up in and around Holdens and learning to drive in big Holdens. The big rear wheel drive Holden (or its Ford mate) were always in the background as a parked car in the neighbour's driveway, a taxi, a cop car, a fleet car.
If the new Holden marketing people are right in thinking that selling another front wheel drive (4 or 6 cylinder) car is what their traditional market wants, then why didn't those cars sell into their traditional market segment before? There are plenty of front wheel drive cars available from other car makers.
Now that they have killed off the Holden's Holden, they have to compete head on with so many more cars. The badge doesn't mean much if the car doesn't have its traditional points of difference.

New buyers have direct feature comparisons to make now and who knows if a front wheel drive Holden will feel better to drive in 30,000 kms than any of the other front wheel drive cars that are already on the roads now.

They should have called it a Holden ......
I just did 5000KM trip in the wife's Aurion and it has nearly 90,000KM up on it now, still is like it was when new, goes better on E10 than 91 unleaded for sure, I got it up to 230KM/H on one straight, I got pulled up at a breath and drug test and was asked if it was my car, I said it's the wife's and the cop said, so he is thrashing your car then and I said flat to the boards.
I don't mind the Aurion she quicker than the commodore V6 are, but on dirt roads Aurions are crap and pushing them real hard around tight corners so it's not my cup of tea, not a real mans car but not bad for a wife's car, she could of got a Camry I would not want to drive that crap at all as it would be about as boring and pathetic limp as the greens and the Labour party are.

I expect the New Holden V6 commodore will go better with that 8 speed auto box and the all wheel drive should make cornering just as good as a rear wheel drive hopefully, so I think it will be a good car to drive hard and fast.
I think the new V6 commodore will surprise people who own all the other V6 commodores and impress the V8 drivers for it being a V6, as the 8 speed auto will just flog the old V6 6speed auto for sure if the ratios are good, it may put it close to V8 times and be way better on fuel.

The all wheel drive setup is not the third rate power Robbing rubbish that they had in the VZ.