Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth becoming a mechanic in 2023?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
If cars and mechanical things are your hobby then I have to say "don't make your hobby a job", it'll quite likely destroy your enjoyment of the hobby.
Good point. One of the women at my workplace has a mechanic for a husband but any work that need to be done to any of their personal cars gets done by another mechanic!

If you’ve spent the whole week working on other peoples cars then the last thing you want to do on the weekends is work on your own cars!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Sorry are you saying you can't claim tool deductions if there is a secure place to store them? Or more the insurance side of the tools?
The first one. If there’s a secure place to store the tools on site then you can’t claim the deduction for transporting the tools (as it’s not necessary to transport them).

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The first one. If there’s a secure place to store the tools on site then you can’t claim the deduction for transporting the tools (as it’s not necessary to transport them).

I understand.... :D I just claim for the purchase side, not transport

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Good point. One of the women at my workplace has a mechanic for a husband but any work that need to be done to any of their personal cars gets done by another mechanic!

If you’ve spent the whole week working on other peoples cars then the last thing you want to do on the weekends is work on your own cars!
we have a 5% club at work
50% dont know how to do the job properly
45% know how, but are too lazy to do the job properly
and 5% actually do a good job

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Hi all,
I am thinking of beginning a mechanic apprenticeship later this year or early next year.
I already have some mechanical knowledge, and work on my car whenever I get the chance to.

Can anyone who is either a mechanic or understands quite a bit about the industry chime in about the following please?:

Is the wage good enough to be able to live decently in 2023- onwards (think cost of living, etc)? Working as an employee

Are mechanics in Australia paid hourly or flat rate like in the US?

What sort of money would I need to spend to build my tool collection?

Why isn’t the wage higher compared to some other trades, despite being a shortage of mechanics in Australia and especially America?

Cheers
Also, if you've not considered it yet, a building trades apprenticeship could ultimately earn you more money and you could still tinker with your car in your spare time.

I was 25 years old when I got the opportunity to do a three-year bricklaying apprenticeship. It was hard work, as I didn't have a job with an employer because of the lack of building work in Liverpool where I came from. I put in extra hours at the Tech College whilst trying to pick up the odd bricklaying job here and there, along with any other type of building related jobs. I also had a small window-cleaning business for the last twelve months of my apprenticeship.

That apprenticeship enabled me to be able to migrate here with my family when I was 28. So there's that.

Work hard at whatever you do and you will be rewarded. Make sure you enjoy your work, for that can be more rewarding than the money.

Be careful when doing a physical job, it will take its toll on your body. Unfortunately, I have had ongoing repetitive strain injuries which have affected me through the years, but I have to be honest, I always loved the physicality of hard work and believe it is good for your mentality.

Also, (while I'm on a roll:)) in the building trade, you are always going from one job to another. So therefore you get to see a lot more. Good luck!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Most mechanics I know stayed in the trade 10 years then moved on to other things. And that's a good way to do it. Constantly Bending over the engine of cars all day when you're 50 something would not be too much fun.
I suggest looking at a trade as a plumber or sparky though. It's much cheaper to start your own business as you don't need to rent a workshop. And mine sites hire plenty of sparkles as well, as do solar farms and all the other green stuff.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Most mechanics I know stayed in the trade 10 years then moved on to other things. And that's a good way to do it. Constantly Bending over the engine of cars all day when you're 50 something would not be too much fun.
I suggest looking at a trade as a plumber or sparky though. It's much cheaper to start your own business as you don't need to rent a workshop. And mine sites hire plenty of sparkles as well, as do solar farms and all the other green stuff.

Labour style jobs are hard on the body....Unfortunately this does include sparkies and plumbers as well

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Definitely agree with that, After spending most of my life in manufacturing I'm screwed (and not in a good way).

I will add though, these days with the H&S laws business's are finally doing things to reduce the hard/heavy labour that most of us have seen in our lives.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Do you have to prove that there is no safe place, or can you just say that tools could get stolen due to suburb, etc?