Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth becoming a mechanic in 2023?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Do you have to prove that there is no safe place, or can you just say that tools could get stolen due to suburb, etc?

Most workplaces these days have security alarms and cameras within the premises to help....If tools are stolen from the workplace, the workplace insurance company covers the loss...So the majority of the time, you leave you tools at work, to save carting them too and from...

Work tools being at home are generally used for mobile style work....So this is an area that is best to have your own personal insurance to cover the loss...I don't think it'll cover the loss of income though...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Labour style jobs are hard on the body....Unfortunately this does include sparkies and plumbers as well
Then you have jobs like mine that make you fat, because you sit at a desk all day and become slack.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Then you have jobs like mine that make you fat, because you sit at a desk all day and become slack.

Got mates that are/were truckies all their lives....Now overweight and suffering from bad knees....

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Do you have to prove that there is no safe place, or can you just say that tools could get stolen due to suburb, etc?

If your tools are kept on the employer's premises (workshop or such) their insurance should cover them in an event of loss.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Had a case across the ditch where a joinery shop was broken into and workers tools stolen. The boss refused to cover the replacement possibly because he didn't have insurance. I coudn't do anything about it because it required one of his employees to put in a complaint. It sucked but I understand why no one would complain. Small town, only one joinery shop. With a complaint we would have taken it to court if necessary and had no trouble getting reimbursement.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I guess if you’re audited by the ATO then yes you would have to prove it. In my case the premises opened up before I arrived at work and there was no secure area not accessible to the public that I could store the tools so the accountant said that was a valid reasoning.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
has any one have to deal with an Electric Car because I have seen so many on the road
likely business people no one else could afford them that`s will be the next trade to fix them

I thought of the exact same thing,

Apart from the Electrical side, as that could be another ticket to sit for,
Still need Mechanics for the consumable items, Wheels, Brakes, Suspension, Bearings, Bushes, etc,

Last edited:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I used to be able to claim all my transport costs to and from work everyday (fuel and vehicle depreciation) because I had to transport all my tools to and from work.

The important part for ATO purposes was that there was no secure place to keep them at work. If you‘ve got somewhere secure to keep them then you can’t claim that deduction. At least that’s how it was many years ago when I used to work at the wrecking yard.
I was able to claim tools and running expenses because I had a ute. I can't remember how many tools you have to carry but it is not very many. Certainly not your whole kit. Being a carpenter and having a ute go hand in hand.

Edit. The biggest problem I ever had was with tools being stolen was from my workmates. On the CBD sites we were paid $100 a week tool allowance yet very few had much in the way of tools.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Edit. The biggest problem I ever had with tools being stolen was from my workmates. On the CBD sites we were paid $100 a week tool allowance yet very few had much in the way of tools.

That seems to be a problem no matter what industry you are in.