Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is My Amplifier Blown??

Reaction score
Edit; milkandjuiceonlycomein2litres - you say you had a 50A fuse on 10awg cable...thats should have been 30A, if your power cable had a short in it after the fuse it wouldnt got really hot and possibly caught on fire before that fuse blew. Take a look at the fuse on the amp, i would imagine it wouldnt have been 50A, maybe 30-40A. Thats a good way to determine what fuse you should be using at the battery, by adding up the fuse/s on your amp/s.

nothing would have caught fire by having a 50amp fuse on 30 amp cable.

10 ga cable will happily handle 2 or 3 times that much current for the short period required to blow a fuse.

I've pulled 110amps through 10ga cable before for a good 20 seconds or so, which would easily blow a 50 amp fuse.

the fuse is there to protect the cable, not the amplifiers.

you should fuse to what the cable is rated at, but you should choose what cable to use based on the amplifiers fuse ratings.

if you have amplifiers, that have 50amps worth of fusing on them, you'd want to use atleast 8ga cable, which is good for 55amps or so, and you'd want to use a 50 - 60 amp fuse.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
so 8awg cable is good for 55A or so, that leaves 10awg to be good for....?

Reaction score
so 8awg cable is good for 55A or so, that leaves 10awg to be good for....?

30 amps of continuous current, but that doesn't mean the wire is going to catch fire in the event of a short circuit if you use a 50amp fuse on it.

like I said, I've pulled 110amps through 10ga cable before.

vsquest

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
looked alrite to me lol

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Most of the time components don't visibly look damaged. You need to test them electrically as I've said above.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
milkandjuicecomein2litres, it is a bit hard to spot anything in the photos. Anyone can spot a big hot spot or bang, but you normally find that if there is any visible damage you really need to have it in your hands under a good light with keen eyes.

In your first photo you have four 8 pin ICs slightly to the left of the photo. In the photo it looks like 3rd IC from the bottom has some sort of colour on it. Is it damage or just a little bit of glue or something? Bit hard to pick.

In the second photo the two blue capacitors look like they are buldging at the top slightly. Are they? Or just the photo?

In the forth photo some of those black caps look like they are buldging?

Bit hard.