Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is my VE Calais a write-off?

womble66

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE CALAIS V - V6
I am willing to lower the agreed value in order to have it written off

Different company (GIO) but I had my "agreed Value" policy lowered after my claim to allow for a write-off based upon a value that was more realistic and sometimes referred to as "market value" but it was only reduced a few thousand which was OK with me as policy was nearly 12mths old so vehicle had reduced in value. Assessor agreed as with GIO its within their powers to make the best outcome for GIO and all parties were happy.

Drakul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V Calais
You would think if they have been watching you and done this to the ve then it won't matter what car you have next if they come back.. That's why I'd repair it.. Why go looking for another car that takes yonks to find and then this happens again..

Well I'm only going to park in my garage from now on so it couldn't happen again at my house. The purpose of getting another car is so that they don't recognise the car or plates..I had personalised plates on the VE so I'm guessing that's how they recognised my car as it's parked on a main road...

Drakul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V Calais
Different company (GIO) but I had my "agreed Value" policy lowered after my claim to allow for a write-off based upon a value that was more realistic and sometimes referred to as "market value" but it was only reduced a few thousand which was OK with me as policy was nearly 12mths old so vehicle had reduced in value. Assessor agreed as with GIO its within their powers to make the best outcome for GIO and all parties were happy.

Yeah that is exactly what I would like to do. I wouldn't like to drop to market value because that's $8k less than what it's currently insured for but if I could find a happy medium that would be ideal. Hopefully the assesso understands the situation and we can work it out.

Sockskeepyouwarm

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Acclaim Sedan
Yeah that is exactly what I would like to do. I wouldn't like to drop to market value because that's $8k less than what it's currently insured for but if I could find a happy medium that would be ideal. Hopefully the assesso understands the situation and we can work it out.
All i can say is F*^$ the insurance companies there a bunch of money grubbing f*^%! just keep fighting for your agreed it's what you're f'in paying for.

Drakul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V Calais
any updates?

Update:

Total repairs from the assessor was $12,355.

So the car was repairable. However racv told me they got quoted $6,000 for the car as is.

They wouldn't lower the agreed value. They would either accept market value of $15,000 (which is rubbish - my car has heaps of accessories (electric sunroof DVD player sat nav full leather interiors - none come standard in this model which raise the value) or repair the car.

Long story short: I accepted a cash settlement for the cost of repairs. So they're paying me out the $12,355 and I keep the car. Looking at selling it to pickles for the $6k they quoted racv. Hopefully that still stands. Unfortunately it's auction day there today so I can't speak to the bloke at pickles who buys them.

Pickles will probably just sell it at auction for $8k and make a quick couple grand off it. If someone was to buy it at that price and do the paintwork themselves they could sell it for potentially $16-19k and make a killing.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
You should of kept it, red prayed it and sold it off and either bought a new car or kept the cash and the car..

beasso81au

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
Damn mate i would have bought it off u

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Update:

Total repairs from the assessor was $12,355.

So the car was repairable. However racv told me they got quoted $6,000 for the car as is.

They wouldn't lower the agreed value. They would either accept market value of $15,000 (which is rubbish - my car has heaps of accessories (electric sunroof DVD player sat nav full leather interiors - none come standard in this model which raise the value) or repair the car.

Long story short: I accepted a cash settlement for the cost of repairs. So they're paying me out the $12,355 and I keep the car. Looking at selling it to pickles for the $6k they quoted racv. Hopefully that still stands. Unfortunately it's auction day there today so I can't speak to the bloke at pickles who buys them.

Pickles will probably just sell it at auction for $8k and make a quick couple grand off it. If someone was to buy it at that price and do the paintwork themselves they could sell it for potentially $16-19k and make a killing.

another happy racv customer.... id rather have no insurance than use that mob...