Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is my VE the earliest one made here?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Ex cop cars are worthless because they have been thrashed chasing bad guys. Don't waste your money chasing a build sheet on a car that's already falling apart. :(
Good point. Buy a 6 pack and sit in front of the car, polish them off while crying at the cars state of disrepair.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Ex cop cars are worthless because they have been thrashed chasing bad guys. Don't waste your money chasing a build sheet on a car that's already falling apart. :(
I think only Federal Police used Omegas. Did they do many chases?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

With a cop car you know what you're getting and know it has been serviced....They even check them over after a chase.

A car that's not a cop car is pot luck what you get....You don't know if it has been thrashed....It might have service history, but that's every 10,000K.....

So by saying not to get a cop car because it has been thrashed doesn't hold much merit.....Every 2nd hand car is pot luck if has been thrashed or not.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Isn't the ideology of thrashed cars a 1970s concept? Modern cars tolerate a lot more revving than our Toranas and Kingswoods did. The problem we have nowadays is people tend not to service cars as a lot of owners don't want to spend money on cars. Instead they prefer to drop $200 on a haircut or $80 on their manicured beard.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Isn't the ideology of thrashed cars a 1970s concept? Modern cars tolerate a lot more revving than our Toranas and Kingswoods did. The problem we have nowadays is people tend not to service cars as a lot of owners don't want to spend money on cars. Instead they prefer to drop $200 on a haircut or $80 on their manicured beard.
To quote an ex cop I was talking to, "Never buy an ex cop car".
He was referring to all kinds of thrashing and abuse. Anything from chases, Hitting speed humps at speed, potholes etc etc. Wherever the bad guys went the cop cars would follow and at whatever speed the bad guys were going..
Anyway, back on topic, if you think you would get more for a 2006 Omega because there's a 1.4% chance it was an ex cop car... go for it. You might convince a P plater with that story and he would proudly go and tell all his mates as well.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
He was referring to all kinds of thrashing and abuse. Anything from chases, Hitting speed humps at speed, potholes etc etc. Wherever the bad guys went the cop cars would follow and at whatever speed the bad guys were going..
Anyway, back on topic, if you think you would get more for a 2006 Omega because there's a 1.4% chance it was an ex cop car... go for it. You might convince a P plater with that story and he would proudly go and tell all his mates as well.

I owned two ex cop cars (VK & VS)for a total of 25 years.

Neither of them had problems that the same civilian cars had and didn't have problems that some civilian cars had.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I think only Federal Police used Omegas. Did they do many chases?
Also standard patrol cars and detectives... I don't think they were used as highway patrol cars... That duty was for the SS...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
And while you're at it, tell them how it's actually making the same amount of power as an SS :D

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

May I ask how that would differ from buying a 2nd hand car? A cop car it's a high probability...A 2nd hand car, it's pot luck.

A cop car, it is fixed...A 2nd had car, a possibility is hasn't been.

Pricing.....That's a story, where it's a dreamer or not

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
A cop car, it is fixed...A 2nd had car, a possibility is hasn't been.
But remember that an VE ex cop car is pretty old nowadays, so that cop car may also be worn out, like any second hand car... Ex cop cars are generally driven harder earlier in their life than the average car owned by a civilian... I personally wouldn't be too fussed buying a well maintained cop car if it was 15 years old, but I wouldn't buy one if it was 3 years old as there's probably better examples on the market for not too much more...