Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is the VE SSV model Utes (redlines) going to be sought after in years to come?

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
Hey guys this has been on my mind for a while recently... as been a fairly new owner of a beautiful VE SS Redline ute in alto grey im very happy with the purchase....
Right after I got it I heard after the VF SS ute model there will be No more utes been made by holden.

My VE has the exact same engine as the VF (l77) making the same power output. Is there any pros, Cons against the VE's and VF's

The car has only 40,000km's on it so its still a real baby in my books. I plan to keep this car for a long time until she simply blows up with too many problems and KMS or gets written off (GOD FORBID).

So the question is ... are the ute owners sitting on some money in the years to come? especially the redline models? or will the VF be all the hype?

Wondering if I should trade the ve in for a vf if If given the chances. But having the same engine, only the VF having alot more features... Would it be worth it?
I'd like some opinions... The front end of the vf looks better and all the cool features it has like FE3 suspension and stuff....
My VE is already equipped with bilsteins shocks however... But can they outdo the FE3 in the VF?...

Hmmm

:surprise:

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I don't see why the redlines would be sought after as the only differences between them and an SSV are brembos and suspension. Wouldn't be hard for someone to find an SS or SSV with aftermarket brakes and suspension.

I'd wait for the later series of VF's before trading in as there's been a lot of problems with them tech wise.
Bilstein shocks are pretty much the best you can buy beside Ohlins so yeah they will crap all over the FE3, pretty sure yours came out of the factory with FE3.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
In years to come, it will still sadly be just a commodore, i'd say people wanting to spend money would be after an HSV when the Commodore is no longer being produced.

Or as vongy said, the last series of the VF - they may get more money...

End of the day, it's a car, the biggest depreciating assets you'll ever own - want to make money from an asset? buy property. want something you LOVE to get in, turn the key and hear the engine, and really enjoy driving...appreciate your SSV for what it is today (and a great colour too!)

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Be worth nothing unless you lock it away for 20 years and do no more km. The top model sedan maybe, but it's so overpriced it's still just a big loss unless you wait another 20 years with little use and km.

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary
I would say they made to many to be a future collector's car but as said in 20 or more years with very low ks maybe worth somthing

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
just remember the WB, these held there value as there wasn't anything else on the market.

Last of the VF's with low km's in10 years time should still be worth a bit but most want hiluxs etc nowdays, the redline version isn't really that special or sought after

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I was going to mention the WB Ute too, good ones still bring good money. Similar situation to the VF post production. I wouldn't look at it as an investment though, very few cars are. But when ute manufacturing ceases they should hold their value better than if Holden was still producing them.

I also reckon you blokes are underrating the Redlines. Particularly in the VF, they are a gem of a car. The handling, braking, quality, features, sound proofing etc etc are all superb. I've not had any issues with my A6 sedan. My only gripe is they should've all been 310 packs from factory with a good but compliant exhaust note. Simple fix for this though ;-) Whether we like to admit it or not, we all seek value. I could've afforded a Clubby 340, or a GTS. But for me the Redline was the best value, hands down.

Ok in the future people may want a HSV model, but they will pay more for it too. That doesn't mean the Redlines, SS's and even 6's don't have a value, and won't hold there value better or at the very least depreciate slower. Try and buy a 186 6 cylinder HK Monaro for example. Now I know they're so old as to be considered rare and collectable. But my point is while you'll pay a hell of a lot more for a GTS 327, you will still pay a lot for a 186, the bottom of the range, still very valuable. It's all relative.

OP - The VF Redline is streets ahead of the VE, as nice as the VE is. You need to weigh up the depreciation on the car between now and when you want to buy a VF. But I'd recommend waiting until near the end, there should be run out bargains...But I'd offload the VE BEFORE this happens if possible or you may struggle to sell it at a fair price in the rush for VF's. Just my 2 cents.

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary
yeah sure they will be worth something but if i was going to mothball a car it would be the GTS not only will less be made but it will be forever more australias most powerful production car and in time that will mean something. look at the commodores that are worth a fortune now Group A SS, Walky, Directors, all limited build and all meant something at the time. The redline is fantastic im looking at one now but its imo its not going to be considered one of these

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
The main question is to trade the ve redline for the vf redline. But in that process I am running the exaxt same engine... I have full leather. The bose stereo. Nice iq and stuff... I know the vf has tons of new features but I really like the ve I have now but for what its worth its not going to be labledded end of the line production for australias utes. But I have the same engine... no idea what to do... and regarding the fe3 aswell... I have bilsteins which eat the fe3 for breakfast. Hmmm

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
I guess another question is does everyone with their ve feel content of what they have now or liking the vf better. I guess I am. Im about to splurge some big money on it incl a cam package. Based on Only the fact im lucky having one of the last ves built with a l77 which has kept me considering to keep the car only. Also the 310 walky pack is that at the fly or the wheels that package they offer with Whatever it consists of?