Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this a fair quote??

NAVZCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6, 1980 WB Tonner
Well i just looked up the info on the timing chain, apparently they newer engines in the VZ's and VE's have a thinner chain and it can stretch. In my few years as a mechanic i have never ever heard of a timing chain stretching. So here's the link for the website just check your new engine number with the one's in there and hopefully you won't have any more timing chain issues http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1674154

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Sounds like your car hasn't been serviced properly as mentioned. Did you buy it from a dealer or privately. I'd ask for a written report from the mechanic and then present it to whoever sold you the car. If it's a dealership/LMCT I'd look into your legal options to get some money back. You will have a more difficult time with a private seller.

As for what to do with your current car?? I'd find a replacement engine such as: VZ ALLOYTEC (SERII) LEO 170 KW CRATE MOTOR (SERIES II) (may not exactly suit your car - you will need to find the exact one). R/R a crate motor will give you piece of mind and change from $6k I would think.

Reaper

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
Hey thanks again guys havent been on in a while been flat out. So i baught that engine i previously mentioned and its been four weeks now and he still hasnt delivered after he said it'll be here in a week. got it from performanceonline.com.au n e one dealt with these guys? i havent been able to get a hold of him in over a week now and he's not answering. getting pretty anxious at this point, hoping he's not ripping me off

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
Mate I havent heard of them and cant even load their website. How did you pay for the engine?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
How does this happen? Seriously, why get screwed over twice? There's been some good advice put forward and yet you decide not to listen to it.

$6000 would see a crate motor installed in your car, easily. A days work to install, even less if they have a go.

And how does spending $200 (or less) in towing fee's make it "not worthwhile" to save a couple of thousand dollars? It could have been fixed for way less.

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
How does this happen? Seriously, why get screwed over twice? There's been some good advice put forward and yet you decide not to listen to it.

$6000 would see a crate motor installed in your car, easily. A days work to install, even less if they have a go.

And how does spending $200 (or less) in towing fee's make it "not worthwhile" to save a couple of thousand dollars? It could have been fixed for way less.

just by that response i can see you havent properly read this thread or no what your on about.

I bought a second hand engine (payed for one at least), which i believe was one persons piece of advice, its the advice i took and its clearly backfired up to this point.

why would i spend 6 grand on a new engine for a car thats 6 years old when an engine with 90000k's on the clock costs a third of that. We're not all rolling in dough like u clearly make out to be.

It will not cost "200 (or less)" to get it towed elsewhere as it has to be towed 90+k's to Newy. For you to think i would save a couple thousand dollars is rediculous. Holden's a rip off, but not by that much.

"Why get screwed over twice" are u serious?! like i made a concious decision to get screwed over. :S

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
Mate I havent heard of them and cant even load their website. How did you pay for the engine?

i just tried loading it half hour ago cos i wanted to get some details and i couldnt load it either. hoping its just down for maintenance or some sh*t (wishfull thinking) but im starting to think he's closing down.

he sent me his bank details but told him i had to pay by credit card since im poor as f*ck at the moment.

shaneelastic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vesv6 commodore2007
mate it dont look good, that looks dodgy as a 3 day old vindaloo that website

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i had a look at performance online and it seems to have been around for 30 years is this the same place you bought your engine from?
PerformanceOnline.com.au
Magill Road, Adelaide, SA 5000
p: 1300 055066 f: 1300 131133