Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this a good deal for a gts r

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Surprised ari didn’t come back to the forum. He still up north?
Yeah still up there. Im headed up in a couple of months to catch up with him for a bit, will see how the Impala is fairing.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
As is so often the case, this thread was pulled way offline, whilst not necessarily being hijacked. I'm all for it personally. Within reason. Good banter is cathartic!
But, the OP was asking, unless I'm mistaken, if the car was a good deal in comparison with other GTSR's on the market. Not whether he should by a far lesseer car and mod it to get similar or better perfomace. Likely coupled with a sinificantly impaired factory warranty, and possibly questionable driveline longevity. Not to mention an immediate and 100% write off of the cost of the upgrades and probably accelerated depreciation of the underlying base car.
What I'm not keen on is people defending their own decisons, by lambasting anyone whom dares to take the safe and easy road, i.e in this instance buying a HSV GTSR, rather than taking the road less travelled and modding the crap out of a N/A Holden, or heaven forbid FI!
It is not for us to ride in on a noble black steed, to save all from their proclaimed naivety, declaring with rigour and fervour the folly of their decsions.
Unless of course they ask. Then, a balanced response, as opposed by a cycloptic tirade would be warranted.
Your honour.:p

To add my 2 cents to this..
if you were to buy a Redline at full retail and then do the mods that were done to my car, you'd be close to 90 grand out of pocket (we didn't pay anywhere near that). What i ended up with was a Redline with a hideous amount of (unusable) power, but not much else. Still the same gearbox, diff, brakes, etc as a Redline, plus all the other minus's Cuda mentions. And thanks to a shitty cam choice, a dog to drive in traffic

At the time i could've got an LSA Clubby for about 8 grand more. If i had my time over again...

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
if you were to buy a Redline at full retail and then do the mods that were done to my car, you'd be close to 90 grand out of pocket (we didn't pay anywhere near that). What i ended up with was a Redline with a hideous amount of (unusable) power, but not much else. Still the same gearbox, diff, brakes, etc as a Redline, plus all the other minus's Cuda mentions. And thanks to a shitty cam choice, a dog to drive in traffic

At the time i could've got an LSA Clubby for about 8 grand more. If i had my time over again...
Amount invested v amount of performance v amount of use (utilisation) v resale amount.
Good idea for an interesting thread.

phantom0817

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS

8 grand is 8 grand, and although I’ve only driven one, the stock LSA felt lethargic to me especially given the HSV is heavier- it still needs a tune at least. Sounds like you got the better deal except for cam choice which isn’t a problem with the approach itself?

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385

Please don't be offended mate, that's not my intention, but why did you buy it in the first place? Did you drive it before you bought it? Seems like you could have noticed it didn't drive well and realised only one aspect was upgraded likely leading to a sense of imbalance prior to purchase.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...

But it's the "Real Thing" mate.:p;):D

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I think @Forg was telling fibs about his Volvo. Where's that dislike button at...

I don't believe they are fibs.....he has posted pic(s) of a red box on wheels before claiming it to be his.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don't believe they are fibs.....he has posted pic(s) of a red box on wheels before claiming it to be his.
This, Project Big Red Car (Project Kelvinator?) has already been Cannot Be Unseen'd around here ... people have to be way more unpleasant than the helpful folk of JC before I multi-pummel their eyeballs so mercilessly!

8 grand is 8 grand, and although I’ve only driven one, the stock LSA felt lethargic to me especially given the HSV is heavier- it still needs a tune at least.
I like to blame pollution rules in scenarios like that, wouldn't mind betting the reason an HSV LSA only puts out 400kW-435kW is Because EPA.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Found it, 2 door brick....kinda jealous to be honest.