Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this wiring kit any good?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I wouldn't say it's overkill, but it's not nessacary to ensure adequte current draw.

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Just run 2 seperate 4 awg cables, don't worry about who ever told you to split a 4 into 8 awg, that's just silly.

Why spend money on a distro block so that you can just run a smaller gauge cable?

Yeah thatwas one of my main options, 13m of 4awg from jaycar would cost 125, plus rcas, maybe 50, which is ok but wouldnt want to spend too much more than that.

4ga is fine for upto 1000w, which this system is under. that kit will be fine..

Haha, One answer that will persuade me to buy it :)

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I wouldn't say it's overkill, but it's not nessacary to ensure adequte current draw.

lol, well said

Yeah thatwas one of my main options, 13m of 4awg from jaycar would cost 125, plus rcas, maybe 50, which is ok but wouldnt want to spend too much more than that.

Haha, One answer that will persuade me to buy it :)

Wire's resistance is also relative to its length, so try keep the 8ga runs short. I have ran a few systems similar and perform fine, it doesnt give much headroom for say future upgrades however.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
You want the biggest power cable going to each amp that their terminals will handle.
Chances are those amps will both take 4g max (guessing here), so you will want either 2 runs of 4g, or a run of 2g split into 2 4g.

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Yeah i was only planning to run the 8g the shortest possible for less loss. depending where i mount the amps it could only be like 25cm or so of 8g.

Does anyone know approx how much 2awg is per meter? Jaycar online has 4awg at $8.90, couldnt find 2 though.

If i did run a 2awg into 4awg's, it would probably cost the same as 2 4awg cables

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Connection create resistance. Its better to run separate power wires to each amp.
As an auto-elec i have seen this lots of times. Eg starter motor power cable/alternator power cable.
less connections the better.

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Yeah makes sense.
Though i got offered a 2awg power cable pretty cheap so i think il just use that then split with 2 4awg's to the amps. Should be more than adequate i think, and saves me some cash so im happy!

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
2 into 4 awg will be fine.

Sometimes it can be difficult to find 2 awg cable, a lot of places go from 4 awg, straight to 0 awg.