Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues with VY'S

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I haven't had any problems like that in mine to date.

cpbait said:
...the sales person told me that the autos start of in 2nd gear and then kick back to 1st gear...

He's pulling your leg big time. Mine starts off in first like any other auto.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a car off him after a comment like that. I'd tell him that he's lost his credibility and just walk.... That's just my opinion though...

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh, i'm a mechanic by trade(still an apprentice) but iv never driven or delt with vy's or gen3's for that matter, so not sure how they react, etc. i work on british cars only so when it comes to other models iv got no idea, but yeh i thought he was talking ****, it seemed ok when i took it for a test drive by myself afterwards, when i opened it up more, like i said it comes with a 3year unlimited kilometer warranty, so i'll get them to check that out straight away and say i'm concerned about the auto is slipping, see how it goes, they've tried selling me floor mats and shock sensors for the wheels twice now and iv told them i'm not interested. thanks for the help too.

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
I'm getting a 2002 VY Acclaim tomorrow. Its going to be a change from my current car which is a 97 VS commodore. I have been reading alot of things about issues with the VY. Hope most of them don't happen to me. But if they do, I'll keep you guys posted. :)

MikeVY25

Mike7
Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SV6 Sportwagon
My first post on this forum,
My car is a 2004 VYII 25th anniversary, nice car! and first Commodore I've owned. Had the P/Steering hose replaced (shudder) and a door lock replaced, as have many on this thread. The slight vibration under the bonnet as you start to move off after starting the car was explained as the ABS doing a self test, by the sales staff before I ever drove it.
Biggest mistake I made was ordering FE2 suspension, what a waste of money! Way too harsh around town, but is better on the highway when towing the Clubman on it's trailer. Had a look at the VE the other day, but I just might keep the VY for another 12 months.
Just like to say the info available here is second to none.

VYSS346

Reaction score
Website
vhheaven.bravehost.com
Members Ride
VYSS 5.7 M6
Damn horn on my VY SS Series 1 went off last night at 3:30am.. and stayed on until i opened the car up and gave the horn pad / airbag area a good hit.. then locked it up and went inside and it went off again.. man what must the neighbours be thinking... :|.. happened 4 times last night! grrrr.. only thing i can think of is that i moved the steering column down as lowas i could get it and towards the dash as much as it would go.. maybe it doesnt like this..

last time the horn went of for me wa slike 6 months ago.. once while driving and another time while sleeping.. thinking back i think i adjusted the steering wheel then too... annoying as all hell when it happens as its gdamn LOUD!

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Damn horn on my VY SS Series 1 went off last night at 3:30am.. and stayed on until i opened the car up and gave the horn pad / airbag area a good hit.. then locked it up and went inside and it went off again.. man what must the neighbours be thinking... :|.. happened 4 times last night! grrrr.. only thing i can think of is that i moved the steering column down as lowas i could get it and towards the dash as much as it would go.. maybe it doesnt like this..

last time the horn went of for me wa slike 6 months ago.. once while driving and another time while sleeping.. thinking back i think i adjusted the steering wheel then too... annoying as all hell when it happens as its gdamn LOUD!

ive had the same problem but every 2-5days so ive just taken the fuse out completly

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7

LOL! Sounds like me with my interior dome light. Bloody thing just stays on continuously (even when I flick the switch to 'OFF'), so I've just pulled the globe out...

unregistered

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 S2
I just bought a VYII Acclaim 2003, 120000kms (lots i know).

The only problem i see so far is the steering wheel isnt centered when going straight ahead, so annoying. What would cause that?

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
I just bought a VYII Acclaim 2003, 120000kms (lots i know).

The only problem i see so far is the steering wheel isnt centered when going straight ahead, so annoying. What would cause that?

Go and get a wheel alignment....

vaertigo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYIISS6m
Go and get a wheel alignment....

I have the same thing, even AFTER a wheel alignment. I'm considering getting it looked into again. Is it possible that due to the low profile of the tyres, and driving on cambered roads would lead to having to keep the wheel angled to remain on a straight course?

One thing i have noticed, during accell, there is a soft grinding/tinkling noise coming from either the gearbox or engine at around 3500 RPM. Anyone else noticed anything like this?