Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jaycar Speedo Corrector Kit Issue

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
When I drop my 3.9 in, I'm getting a mate to update the ppk value instead of bothering with a correcter for this exact reason.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Seems to be conflicting info on the matter all over the place. Sorry to be a pain just trying to make sure I get it right. Im still confused as why the auto kickdown has changed if its been wired after the ecu??

Perhaps its wired from the VSS before the ECU.....then the ECU would be receiving the corrected data?

I can't logically see how it would work if connected after the ECU as the ECU has already taken the data from the VSS and processed it incorrectly which is where the shift points etc are handled.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
It gets wired in between the ecu and dash. All it does is calibrate the dash.

You still have to get the shift points altered via the tune.

Senator829

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 HSV Senator & 2012 RG Colorado LTZ
It gets wired in between the ecu and dash. All it does is calibrate the dash.

You still have to get the shift points altered via the tune.

Cool that's what I thought. Quick question will the speedo signal being corrected fix the odo, distance to empty and instant fuel readings etc??. Took it back to auto elecs today and apparently they didn't do any adjustments on it so on the weekend I will reset it from scratch and use a gps to alter it. I will see if that fixes the fluctuations. Took it for another drive and the auto was kicking down when floored but not as hard as before.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Yeah it will fix all that mate

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When I drop my 3.9 in, I'm getting a mate to update the ppk value instead of bothering with a correcter for this exact reason.

On a VSV6, this is way easier than having to muck around buying and fitting a speedo corrector. Ive done a few of these now on the VSV6 models, not sure about other models or engine types though, but on the VSV6's its not the PPK value that needs to be modified, its actually the speed sensor ratio, and changing the ratio value of the speed sensor modifies both the speedo and ECU readings all in one go, so the auto will then shift correctly and the speedo etc will all read correctly too.
Theres a formula floating around on the net somewhere that will give you the correct speed sensor value for the intended diff ratio that is to be used. I cant quite rememebr exactly, as the last one I did was a fair while back, but im pretty sure the value for the standard 3.08 diff (i think) is around 42500 and I think I changed this value to around 52500 or 53500, and that was for a diff ratio of 3.5 (i think it was 3.5 but may have been 3.7).

Senator829

Reaction score
Members Ride
If only it was that simple for an 8

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
On a VSV6, this is way easier than having to muck around buying and fitting a speedo corrector. Ive done a few of these now on the VSV6 models, not sure about other models or engine types though, but on the VSV6's its not the PPK value that needs to be modified, its actually the speed sensor ratio, and changing the ratio value of the speed sensor modifies both the speedo and ECU readings all in one go, so the auto will then shift correctly and the speedo etc will all read correctly too.
Theres a formula floating around on the net somewhere that will give you the correct speed sensor value for the intended diff ratio that is to be used. I cant quite rememebr exactly, as the last one I did was a fair while back, but im pretty sure the value for the standard 3.08 diff (i think) is around 42500 and I think I changed this value to around 52500 or 53500, and that was for a diff ratio of 3.5 (i think it was 3.5 but may have been 3.7).

Thanks for the info. I assume my mate knows what he's doing but we'll see, lol. I have the formula/scale at home, it's calculated by diff ratio and tyre circumference.

Senator829

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I should be able to get it adjusted in the tune then?? . Without the whole which tuner is best bs, whose reliable to get this from on a mail order as I live in regional nsw. I'm new to the world of Holden 8s after having ls commodores for years