Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If I were Abbott, I wouldn't move one inch to help Gillard out of her present predicament, national interest or not. The immigrant fiasco is entirely of Labor's own making - it's almost impossible to believe that any government could dismantle a completely effective policy (from our national interest's perspective - not the immigrants' perspective), and nearly four years later, we still have no solution and the problem worsens every day. Anyone noticed that the "passenger loads" of these vessels is now upwards of 70 per time, whereas it was around 35-40 per trip. The smugglers have upped the ante and the refugees are coming in increasing numbers.

The Malaysion solution? Mixed feelings about that one. As a nation, we have a serious problem that needs an effective solution, and quickly. Our national image is being damaged and won't be enhanced by sending these people back to a country where they may be mistreated. We may or may not care what happens to them, but we have to seek a humane solution. Malaysia isn't such a solution. It is based on fear. As for the 5:1 (note to Reap - your maths suck) swap ratio, well, what a bargain. Must keep foreign governments amused at our sheer ineptitude.

Nauru was not such an inhumane place - it was based on the premise that you would be admitted there, temporarily protected, with no guarantee of entry to Australia, no access to our legal system and eventual placement at any suitable nation. There was no barbed wire enclosure as Labor claimed, the government of Nauru welcomed the scheme for the benefits to their economy (at our expense, of course) and the scheme was a sufficient deterrent to eventually see the boat trade cease. How could anybody consider that inappropriate, inhumane or ineffective? Obviously, Labor could. F***ing cretins.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Just on Nauru, many people do not or did not realise that Australians worked there and managed the boatee's.

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
Nauru was not as clear cut as that. There were reports about conditions there that did not seem humane. I’m sure many could easily dismiss them as being lefties or bleeding hearts but that is altogether too simplistic.

TPVs are likewise not as clear cut. They are held up as one of the key reasons but it is not possible to prove it. And it is suggested they had undesirable effects on the passenger make up.
The myth of temporary protection visas - The Drum Opinion (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I appreciate the pros and cons but I still think both sides could support the other and the outcome would not be that different.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Nauru was not as clear cut as that. There were reports about conditions there that did not seem humane. I’m sure many could easily dismiss them as being lefties or bleeding hearts but that is altogether too simplistic.

TPVs are likewise not as clear cut. They are held up as one of the key reasons but it is not possible to prove it. And it is suggested they had undesirable effects on the passenger make up.
The myth of temporary protection visas - The Drum Opinion (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I appreciate the pros and cons but I still think both sides could support the other and the outcome would not be that different.

A lefty I knew worked/lived there. She had no complaints. She certainly does now though. She is one of the bleeding hearts that I do not attend parties she is at in fear of slapping her in teeth a few times :p

I do love how you link to the drum though, I mean, an unbias media right? Yeah...

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
No i dont think so its reward enough.

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
I do love how you link to the drum though, I mean, an unbias media right? Yeah...
Well I’m not going to post a link to a media report that supports Nauru and TPVs to try to bring balance am I? We have that here in abundance. The prevailing opinion among those right leaning here is that Nauru and TPVs were the logical/ultimate answer. All that link is intended to do is show there are conflicting views with regard to how humane and desirable those options were, with supporting evidence. As I have said I do not accept either sides solution as ideal.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
Well I’m not going to post a link to a media report that supports Nauru and TPVs to try to bring balance am I? We have that here in abundance. The prevailing opinion among those right leaning here is that Nauru and TPVs were the logical/ultimate answer. All that link is intended to do is show there are conflicting views with regard to how humane and desirable those options were, with supporting evidence. As I have said I do not accept either sides solution as ideal.

I like how the Navy used to deal with the problem, old school! Before there was any coverage of the issue at all...

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

So yes or no answer time.

Did Nauru and TPV's stop the boats?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Mr abbott. stopping boats doesn't stop people they still end up here.

This is where lefties are deluded and seriously have a failed logic.

People who come here by plane with a passport and ID are known to immigration. We know where they are from, we know what potential diseases they have and as such is not really a problem. We then get visa over-stayers, again, how are they a problem? If they work they pay the highest rate of tax and we know who and where they are, so really no problem.

I get sick to death of this stupid argument to try and justify people paying to illegally enter this country without papers because they magically disappeared after a flight to Malaysia or Indonesia. If they come here with papers even by boat I doubt 99% of the population would give a rats arse. Sadly I know you will not comprehend this argument as you have not in the past.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...are-backing-rudd/story-fn3dxity-1226159612687