Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I call BS on rich people bullying people.
If you can't afford a lawyer, there's legal aid.
If you have doubts about legal aid working for you then your case isn't rock solid.
If your case is rock solid, then a cat could represent you.

Justice might be blind, but it certainly isn’t free. It can sometimes be like playing poker - the one with the deepest pocket can win, regardless of the actual cards they are holding.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you have doubts about legal aid working for you then your case isn't rock solid.

LOL

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Usually these disputes are civil in nature which means legal aid gets you nada in most cases. There is no doubt what so ever that in many cases, he with the deepest pockets wins. Often that only needs to be a perception to scare the small guy from even trying. Further, even the most rock solid case does not guarantee a win.

For a even medium sized company, the cost of a legal dispute is relatively low whilst for anybody but the most well heeled individual even a win can irreparably financially cripple them. It's worth knowing that even in the case of winning 'with costs' doesn't come close to covering ones costs. Unfortunately I know this first hand in various actions up to the supreme court (blew up $40k in 1 day over that one - even though we won).

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
My missus company is one willing to spend to recover but most times the cost of going to courts ends up eating into the recovered funds so her preferred method was negotiate and arrange payment plans but **** her off and she'll come after your house, car and what ever else you own to pay your debts. She even broke a trust once to recover moneys owed and of course you always claim costs against the other party and hope the judge agrees and awards costs on top of the judgement.

Court is never cheap, even her calling their own lawyers to give instructions the costs quickly rack up.

Courts are for the very wealthy, people like Trump and Musk.

We won't get into legal aid, but legal aid is like a lottery, most of the time you don't win.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Have you not heard of SLAPP suits? Their entire existence is so rich people can bully small people into submission.

Yes, but going to court is free you know.

Most people just throw around what they hear, without actually doing any critical thinking.
If I got sued by Gina Rhinehart, I would go to the first date, I then say I'm still looking for a lawyer, I then get legal aid, I then drag the process out.
See that only costs me time.

It only gets nervous when you're liable, so you basically are in the wrong and calling a bluff, so if you get pinged in court by a rich person, well you only have your self to blame.
The court works on law, not money, so if you're in the right then there is nothing to worry about.

It's like these people that spray off on social media, then cry when someone lodges against them, well if they kept their mouth shut then they wouldn't be in the situation. You're insinuating that in that example it would be a slapp suit, because one party is wealthier than the other, but in reality if the poor party just said nice things they wouldn't be potentially liable for a lot of money.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Justice might be blind, but it certainly isn’t free. It can sometimes be like playing poker - the one with the deepest pocket can win, regardless of the actual cards they are holding.

It is free if you know what you're doing.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, but going to court is free you know.

Most people just throw around what they hear, without actually doing any critical thinking.
If I got sued by Gina Rhinehart, I would go to the first date, I then say I'm still looking for a lawyer, I then get legal aid, I then drag the process out.
See that only costs me time.

It only gets nervous when you're liable, so you basically are in the wrong and calling a bluff, so if you get pinged in court by a rich person, well you only have your self to blame.
The court works on law, not money, so if you're in the right then there is nothing to worry about.

It's like these people that spray off on social media, then cry when someone lodges against them, well if they kept their mouth shut then they wouldn't be in the situation. You're insinuating that in that example it would be a slapp suit, because one party is wealthier than the other, but in reality if the poor party just said nice things they wouldn't be potentially liable for a lot of money.

LOL

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Usually these disputes are civil in nature which means legal aid gets you nada in most cases. There is no doubt what so ever that in many cases, he with the deepest pockets wins. Often that only needs to be a perception to scare the small guy from even trying. Further, even the most rock solid case does not guarantee a win.

For a even medium sized company, the cost of a legal dispute is relatively low whilst for anybody but the most well heeled individual even a win can irreparably financially cripple them. It's worth knowing that even in the case of winning 'with costs' doesn't come close to covering ones costs. Unfortunately I know this first hand in various actions up to the supreme court (blew up $40k in 1 day over that one - even though we won).

If you are happy to spend 40k on lawyers, that is fine.
But you don't have to spend that much money, a lot of the time people get over represented in court and just pay money for no reason.

Most people don't realise, but you can actually go stand in front of the judge your self, you don't need the lawyers for the basic stuff.
I saved a **** load of money this way, I went to court, I plead, I went back and got a date assigned to me, I said I was looking for my lawyer, I had him retained, then he came in one day and did the talking, job done, I saved like 2k not having him there for menial activities in court.

Just because a rich person shows up with KC/SC barristers doesn't mean they need them, they're likely on retainer so they're just there as per contract.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

It is free, I've been quite a number of times, the judge could charge you court fees, or if the other idiots are a waste of time he might even award all fees to the other party.

All you have to do is show up to court, yes it is advisable to get a mouthpiece, but for one day in court you would spend 1-2k private, and if you can't afford that you can apply to legal aid, you have to show them bank statements and all.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I will also add, unless you're the one suing, than you're being summoned to the courts, you don't have to lawyer up the first visit, not many people know this.
If you show up with no lawyer, the judge will grant you time to seek one.