Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I’m still waiting for that week where there is no significant wind and no significant sun for 7 days straight across the whole east coast of Australia (including off-shore). I suppose it might happen, but I suppose we all might win a million dollar lottery in the same week too?

:)
Probably won't. But contingency and energy security is worth thinking about. Correct?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
That may be true but it’s extremely unlikely that you would need to support half grid for a whole week and if you did there would be a lot better options out there than lithium ion batteries.

Pumped hydro should really be the first port of call for this as the storage capacity and duration of supply can’t be matched by batteries and hydro is proven to work well.

Take the NZ power grid which is mostly run by hydropower, you’re basically doing the exact same thing except your pumping the water back upstream rather than relying on Mother Nature to do it for you.

Snowy 2.0 is going to provide 350,000MWh of storage once it’s completed. Taking your figure of 2,278,846MWh it would require a smidge over 6.5 Snowy 2.0’s to provide that amount of storage.

If Snowy 2.0 ends up costing the $12 billion it is projected to cost then that’s about $78 billion for that amount of storage. Eminently doable and not that big an expense in the great scheme of things and there are enough potential locations for pumped hydro to make that happen.

https://arena.gov.au/assets/2018/10...d-Hydro-Energy-Storage-The-Complete-Atlas.pdf
I'd really like to see PEF brought into the mix. It solves two massive problems.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I’m still waiting for that week where there is no significant wind and no significant sun for 7 days straight across the whole east coast of Australia (including off-shore). I suppose it might happen, but I suppose we all might win a million dollar lottery in the same week too?

There are adds getting plastered all over the media about gas being the back up for this.....IMA, haven't seen anyone whinge about that being the back up.... :)

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
There are adds getting plastered all over the media about gas being the back up for this.....IMA, haven't seen anyone whinge about that being the back up.... :)
i hear ads all day on radio about the new renewable gas, its different to normal gas and dosnt have any added emissions so ur **insert food name here** can taste even better, seems the people making the cooking shows need to use gas in victoria so they have to put the word ''renewable'' in front of it so its now ok to use

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85

strange things can happen on a dynamic world

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
i hear ads all day on radio about the new renewable gas, its different to normal gas and dosnt have any added emissions so ur **insert food name here** can taste even better, seems the people making the cooking shows need to use gas in victoria so they have to put the word ''renewable'' in front of it so its now ok to use

Wasn’t it Master Chef that used the ‘green‘ gas in the latest series? The gas that isn’t actually available to the consumer yet, and they bottled it in specially for that show? And the Master Chef in the UK used induction instead, but somehow the show in Australia as it got sponsored by the gas industry.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

The gas industry likes to spruik this but it’s them that has made gas uncompetitive on price because they gouge the absolute fuk out of us for our own gas.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Wasn’t it Master Chef that used the ‘green‘ gas in the latest series? The gas that isn’t actually available to the consumer yet, and they bottled it in specially for that show? And the Master Chef in the UK used induction instead, but somehow the show in Australia as it got sponsored by the gas industry.

There’s greenwashing and sly marketing/advertising going on all over the place. Formula one proposes to be net zero by 2030, which presumably involves running the cars on e-petrol.

I doubt that us plebs will ever be able to afford e-petrol and it will probably just be something that is done for motorsports so they can spruik their carbon neutral credentials.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The gas industry likes to spruik this but it’s them that has made gas uncompetitive on price because they gouge the absolute fuk out of us for our own gas.

Pretty sure the gov't co are running the ads rather than the gas companies footing the bill

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Pretty sure the gov't co are running the ads rather than the gas companies footing the bill

I suspect that it is the Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration Association (APPEA) that has been running many of the advertising campaigns.

It all comes across as a bit of a dying gasp from an industry attempting to find it’s place, or extend it’s life, in the last decade or so of the fossil fuel age.