Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I always knew that she was a morally corrupt, lying, arrogant and self centered hitch, bit I didn't know she was so morally corrupt as to throw her own people under a bus in an effort to cling to power.

Just wow.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Given that we are talking about a Senate seat here, not a House of Reps seat, I'm trying to work out how this will help Gillard retain Government at the next election. It has plenty of Gillard's shameful manner about it in trying to secure the indigenous vote but it won't assist in gaining the seats necessary to retain Government, unless she is so stupid that she thinks the rest of the electorate will fall over the line on her side as well as the indigenous voters - which, with her track record, is quite possibly what she has in mind. Just another example of her poor judgement and treating the electorate like idiots. And the way she has treated one of her own? Well, you wouldn't be surprised, given the way the Speaker, Harry Jensen, was treated, would you?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
As a former Territorian with extensive experience living and dealing with our indigenous friends (including a 17 year stint in the heart of Arnhemland), I think Gillard has shot herself in the foot here. Regardless of who she has dumped, she has chosen the wrong replacement if its indigenous votes she is wooing.

Firstly, the indigenous population are only about 20% of the Territory's population anyway, so even if every one of those eligible to vote does so for her, its not going to get her over the line.

Secondly, many simply won't be voting or anywhere near somewhere they can vote.

Thirdly and most importantly, its an erroneous assumption that they will automatically vote for someone because of their indigenous heritage. Unless Nova Peris is out in the communities pressing flesh and kissing babies, they wont be any more likely to vote for her than anyone else.

In fact, because Nova has an Irish father, her mixed genes cause her to be called 'yella fella' among the full bloods, and her status socially is not dissimilar to the South African kaffirs.. not fully accepted among either the white or black community. She may even find her 'aboriginality' to be a hindrance rather than a help when it comes to gaining indigenous votes.

She is actually more likely to get votes from the white community due to her sporting career than she is to get votes from the black community due to her colour.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

A FEDERAL political candidate in western Victoria has sparked outrage by comparing gay and lesbian people to paedophiles.

When can we levy a tax on utter dick heads?

The extreme left and rights of politics are just out of control.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
^^^ nothing new here. Katters party is slightly less loony than Pauline Hanson's crap back in the late 90's. What's most worrying is the Greens if they continue with a balance of power. Even worse if they got any real power in their own right.

Reaper

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
^^^ nothing new here. Katters party is slightly less loony than Pauline Hanson's crap back in the late 90's. What's most worrying is the Greens if they continue with a balance of power. Even worse if they got any real power in their own right.

Reaper

I would not be overly worried...1. Won't happen. Long way off. decades. 2. In a few decades time, society will be such a **** sandwich that any minor party could well be welcome with open arms. 3. Greens have had balance of power since 2010 and....emissions are down 8%, earth is still turning :)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I would not be overly worried...1. Won't happen. Long way off. decades. 2. In a few decades time, society will be such a **** sandwich that any minor party could well be welcome with open arms. 3. Greens have had balance of power since 2010 and....emissions are down 8%, earth is still turning :)

The term "despite them, not because of them" springs to mind.

Reaper

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

My guess is emissions are not down because of greens policies that labor have pushed onto us but because manufacturing is dying in the arse and companies are falling over all over the place.

Sadly a friend of ours business was shut down directly due to the carbon tax...the price of refrigerants is amazing, from 8kg to around 170 a kg...the full effects of the carbon tax will be felt when the likes of Woolworths, Coles and IGA have to charge their systems across the cold store facilities and supermarkets. A standard restaurant will see around 22k of costs...a cold store, around 1.3 million for a 2500 space setup.

Scary really, the business I am working for when it comes time have budgeted 16.5 million...costs will be thrown back to the likes of Woolies and Coles who will then push back to you and I.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Sadly a friend of ours business was shut down directly due to the carbon tax...the price of refrigerants is amazing, from 8kg to around 170 a kg...the full effects of the carbon tax will be felt when the likes of Woolworths, Coles and IGA have to charge their systems across the cold store facilities and supermarkets. A standard restaurant will see around 22k of costs...a cold store, around 1.3 million for a 2500 space setup.

Are you sure it's that much and all attributable to the carbon tax? That's a 2000% increase if my math is right. (170-8)/8*100= 2000%.

The way the carbon tax works for refrigerants is "global warming potential"(related to co2) * 23@tonne.

Here's a list of some refrigerants, It's not hard to work out the tax on them. It's pretty hefty but nowhere near 2000%. Take HFC-134, nice round 1000GWP. 1000*23=23000 tax@tonne/1000(per Kg)=$23 tax on 1Kg. Percent increase for that Kg is 23/8*100=200% price rise to $31@Kg. The only one on there that would result in 2000% is HFC-23 and as it's GWP is 11,000 times CO2 it shouldn't be used anyway.

Step-2.jpg

Here's a link to which HFCs are used for what and which are no longer used in the US so I presume we would be similar.

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/geninfo/gwps.html

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you sure it's that much and all attributable to the carbon tax? That's a 2000% increase if my math is right. (170-8)/8*100= 2000%.

(lots of crap deleted)

nfi about the maths but yes it's correct in principal. I have some friends in the industry and the cost of refrigerant went thru the roof over night and is *all* directly attributable to the carbon tax.

Reaper