Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Roxon. Saw her this morning on 24 from last night, and have read the transcript. All mind blowing stuff to say the least.

She suggested Shorten and Plibersek are as close to the "dream team" as you can get. Was it her from memory who was living with Shorten at one stage? Please correct me if I'm wrong?

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I'd just like to use myself as an example as to why gender is totally irrelevant when it comes to picking the right person for the job.

I recently found myself in need of a new job. I have always been a fast typist, and applied for a job typing audio transcriptions (I've never done it before).

Out of 16 applicants, I was the only male (to work in an office with three women) and I was also the only person to get the job. Why? Because I was the fastest and most accurate person to have applied. Not because I'm male.

This whole gender issue is only being pushed by people who think that gender equality is the same thing as skills equality. If I were a manager looking to fill a position, and had 10 shortlisted applicants - 5 male, 5 female - then I would base my decision on their skills, their personality, and the way I felt I 'gelled' with the person, or felt they would gel with the people they would be working with.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the fact that I applied for and got a job that it typically female-dominated, hired by a woman to work in an office with only women - at least this goes to show that the gender issue isn't entirely universal!

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
At the risk of taking this thread a little off topic, how do you know you were hired based on merit and not because they had 3 females already there and were told to get a male?

Also, how would that make you feel if that were the case?

I know it would make me feel like crap. Id rather not get a job than get a job because im male, female, abo or an alien. I want to be hired on my merits.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
At the risk of taking this thread a little off topic, how do you know you were hired based on merit and not because they had 3 females already there and were told to get a male?

Also, how would that make you feel if that were the case?

I know it would make me feel like crap. Id rather not get a job than get a job because im male, female, abo or an alien. I want to be hired on my merits.

That is why quotas don't work. They can both prevent the best candidate from getting a job whilst diminishing the reputation of those in the role as it can always be questioned weather they got the job because of merit or ability.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
That would not be a very good job for me with only women in the office. I would have to maintain a constant level of intoxication in order to communicate with them.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L