Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
If your house is not damaged by the smoke or fire then what's stopping you going home? And if your car is fine, why can't you go to work? That's the entire point. Why should people who are not actually suffering any losses due to the bushfires be given beer money?

It might be helpful if you put forth the limitations they have put into effect and where exactly they draw the line, we won't have to guess then. I would rather a few dodgey claims go through than people in genuine need be left out.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
All I know is "not destroyed or damaged or the person not injured," as I stated originally. I imagine there will be compensation provided for those whose homes are uninhabitable due to smoke damage because that still constitutes as damage and requires considerable work to remedy (often without success).

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
If your house is not damaged by the smoke or fire then what's stopping you going home? And if your car is fine, why can't you go to work? That's the entire point. Why should people who are not actually suffering any losses due to the bushfires be given beer money?

Not really the entire point, we don't know if it's just people that are inconvenienced. As far as I have read about it, it's rather strict, you need to have lost your home(fire/smoke damaged) basically and that not broad enough. It doesn't include losing your car/public transport. It doesn't include loss of bags/wallets with cards/identification to get access to your own money. Australians usually open their purse for people affected by natural disasters and as one I don't appreciate the govt closing it's. Funny they want to complain that some people might rort it and stuff their snouts in the trough. I guess they know better than anyone how it works.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Well I suppose bushfire damages infrastructure and can cause general havoc and mayhem. Eg - as stated power goes off, food is spoilt. Roads are closed, cannot go to work, don't get your wage. Evacuated areas may need to be fully safe for people to go home. Could it be things like that?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Not really the entire point, we don't know if it's just people that are inconvenienced. As far as I have read about it, it's rather strict, you need to have lost your home(fire/smoke damaged) basically and that not broad enough. It doesn't include losing your car/public transport. It doesn't include loss of bags/wallets with cards/identification to get access to your own money. Australians usually open their purse for people affected by natural disasters and as one I don't appreciate the govt closing it's. Funny they want to complain that some people might rort it and stuff their snouts in the trough. I guess they know better than anyone how it works.

Isn't all the above covered by home and contents insurance?

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Isn't all the above covered by home and contents insurance?

How do you live until you can prove it with your papers that may be water damaged or otherwise made immediately unavailable? What about no documentation of who you even are? How long do you wait for relief from your insurance? These are emergency payments for a reason. I think you might be being a bit short sighted.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
How do you live until you can prove it with your papers that may be water damaged or otherwise made immediately unavailable? What about no documentation of who you even are? How long do you wait for relief from your insurance? These are emergency payments for a reason. I think you might be being a bit short sighted.

Not at all.

I grew up in a fire area, we lost a house during ash Wednesday. All our birth records, passport etc were stored in a safe deposit box, all our documents now, same thing unless we plan on using them within 48 hours. If you live in a fire area and you have no backups of such things you are an idiot.

Just for the record, my family was insured and got no handouts from any government. In fact they would have been too embarrassed to take one...far cry from today's feed me mentality like you defend above.

Off the subject. the biggest problem we face today is over population with poor education in bush fire prone areas. Throw this in with idiotic policies of minimal back burning and removal of dead timber...and well it is all another Black Saturday waiting to happen. We are currently looking at buying land in a bushfire area, some 290 acres, we requested from the council an interim approval to remove 210 tree's in a building area, we advised we would replant 1650 more across the property. We basically got laughed out of the council offices and told how important trees are etc and how we would need to look at building the house "within" the environment. Essentially councils are making people build their own potential coffins due to pathetic policy based on greens bullshit.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Not at all.

I grew up in a fire area, we lost a house during ash Wednesday. All our birth records, passport etc were stored in a safe deposit box, all our documents now, same thing unless we plan on using them within 48 hours. If you live in a fire area and you have no backups of such things you are an idiot.

Just for the record, my family was insured and got no handouts from any government. In fact they would have been too embarrassed to take one...far cry from today's feed me mentality like you defend above.

Off the subject. the biggest problem we face today is over population with poor education in bush fire prone areas. Throw this in with idiotic policies of minimal back burning and removal of dead timber...and well it is all another Black Saturday waiting to happen. We are currently looking at buying land in a bushfire area, some 290 acres, we requested from the council an interim approval to remove 210 tree's in a building area, we advised we would replant 1650 more across the property. We basically got laughed out of the council offices and told how important trees are etc and how we would need to look at building the house "within" the environment. Essentially councils are making people build their own potential coffins due to pathetic policy based on greens bullshit.

Your view has always been "I'm right Jack", others just aren't as smart as you, you can plan for anything, onya. I don't begrudge people in an emergency a hand and your tree story doesn't interest me in the least. Build underground, a bunker! Then again if you've planned for everything you may already have one..

edit: Instead of greens bullshit, maybe council bullshit would be more accurate, councils decide rules in the shire. Councils the people elect. If you're repeating the oft spoken conga line "greens won't allow burning" I suggest looking at their policy.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Minux has a point though. It's not just about being smart it's being prepared.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Minux has a point though. It's not just about being smart it's being prepared.

Sure, try and be prepared, no problem with that, but how many times do you hear people caught and say they were unprepared for exactly what happened. As TA would say, **** happens, and we should be there for our fellow Australians when it does, I would also see it as better to err on the side of caution about hardship so those that found themselves stuffed would not get caught in a net to weed out some perceived rorting..