Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I will pay that super, accrued sick leave and redundancy is above and beyond in the APS. Still I could earn twice the coin in private but funnily enough I'm proud to be a Commonwealth employee. My work doesn't make some greedy corporation richer. It provides value add to a faculty most Australians wouldn't think twice about. That's job satisfaction to a T.

Pollishon

Are APS redundancy packages really so much better than external ones? The redundancy package on offer when I retired from the NSW PS in 2008 was two weeks pay for every completed year of service, up to a maximum of 13 years. So, maximum of 6 months full pay for "long" service employees. (Too bad if you had put in two thirds of your lifetime working for them - you still maxed out at 13 years.)

What's the APS package?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Perhaps the legislation is written in such a way that any proposed changes to an act have to be presented as a bill and go before the Senate for approval, in which case it would also get ****-canned?

I'm pretty sure that is the case. Memory was a little hazy but I seem to remember there was a floor price of $15/ton (something like that) once the $23 became a floating price. This was when the international price was only a few dollars per ton at best. Pretty sure that floor price was by means of legislation (requires a vote in parliament) and not regulation (a bureaucrat's stroke of a pen to change)

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I guess living in lala land is something many int his thread do well.

Your lack of understanding in how your government runs is surprising. You're putting all your stock in the 'prominent' handful you see and agree/disagree with. None of that changes the fact there are tens of thousands behind the scenes who keep all those for granted services running. Whilst I can't speak for all of them, many plod along with less resourcing than ever, continually improving how they deliver for survivals sake. Then you have the gall to infer those savings go in a pocket?

I tell you what, it's handy I love my country more than its often small minded, ignorant people.

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Pollishon

Are APS redundancy packages really so much better than external ones? The redundancy package on offer when I retired from the NSW PS in 2008 was two weeks pay for every completed year of service, up to a maximum of 13 years. So, maximum of 6 months full pay for "long" service employees. (Too bad if you had put in two thirds of your lifetime working for them - you still maxed out at 13 years.)

What's the APS package?

I guess it depends on the CA/EA. I'm not sure I can say much, but after 9 years, if I'm dumped tomorrow I walk away with a touch under six figures.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Your lack of understanding in how your government runs is surprising. You're putting all your stock in the 'prominent' handful you see and agree/disagree with. None of that changes the fact there are tens of thousands behind the scenes who keep all those for granted services running. Whilst I can't speak for all of them, many plod along with less resourcing than ever, continually improving how they deliver for survivals sake. Then you have the gall to infer those savings go in a pocket?

I tell you what, it's handy I love my country more than its often small minded, ignorant people.

Any savings from a cut in one govt department either goes to fund another or goes into consolidated revenue. If a pollie was taking it, holy ****, Grand Corruption 101.....

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
This.

Why would you bother go? You know its only going to create a negative headline and achieve nothing.

I understand their anger, I needed Aus Study or whatever it was when I was at Uni for a period, but I also needed to work. When I was kicked off it, I worked full time night shifts and went to Uni during the day, it can be done, its hard, but thats life.

I also agree that we cannot end up like the USA in terms of further education.

However, something needs to be done about the people who just sit on degrees. Pumping out arts degrees and other nonsense qualifications one after the other or entering subjects that have very little if no future job prospects. Fund the degrees that have career paths.

Egats! something I mostly agree with.....

But sometimes a mature-aged person will want to study something just out of interest; I don't think this should be closed off but funding/fees could be reconsidered.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

The best bit is home the "typical uni student" is doing an arts degree. I just found that amusing as every time I see the protests on tv I think to myself "I bet they are all arts students".

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
With regards to federal public servant redundancy, I had a friend who was long serving some years back get four weeks per completed year plus four additional weeks (in lieu of notice - just walk out the door without tidying up affairs), with no cap. That redundancy payout was in excess of two years pay.

On the other hand, the ADF figure has generally been two weeks per completed year, but I don't know if it is capped.

With regards to uni protestors, almost all were Arts students or the like when I was at Sydney University in the Vietnam War era. Medical, engineering, science and like students were too busy with classes to have time for such misadventures. Arts students generally had around ten or less hours of classes per week, compared to up to 36 hours for my engineering degree.

The antics of the Students for a Democratic Society at that time were hardly democratic. If you didn't agree with them, then you had no rights. Eventually other students reacted when the SDS decided they had a democratic right to deny access to the University grounds for a University Regiment Guard of Honour (all fellow students) for the Governor of NSW, Roden Cutler VC. When the SDS staged a sit-in on the road exercising their "democratic" right to do so, engineering and science students exercised a similar "democratic" right to pick them up and move them to the footpath. The supposedly peaceful SDS showed its true colours and proceeded to become violent against those who dared to disagree, and the Guard and the Governor.

I have since noted that this has been a recurring trend for the Left over the years. They tend to exhibit a mantra of intellectual superiority such that they show disdain, and even outright anger, against those who do not comply with their beliefs. I wonder if these latest demonstrators are still dominated by Arts students and the like, with a sub-group of left-leaning law students, as they were in my uni days?

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

The best bit is home the "typical uni student" is doing an arts degree. I just found that amusing as every time I see the protests on tv I think to myself "I bet they are all arts students".

Please tell that to my wife doing an IT degree. Has been doing it over the last 10 years on and off due to having a family and vast streches of morning sickness. Now the % is charged on her HECS loan for all the previous subjects she has done. How are people doing degrees going to be able to afford them now. She will be in debt for the long term, and it affects all sorts of things, credit rating, house loans ect.

You should be allowed to get your first degree on the current system and then any further degrees as full fee. The payoff for the govenment is the higher taxes that a degree qualified person generally pays.