Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
with 4 states and 1 territory now under liberal rule is anyone better or worse off?
Qld for one is fast turning to absolute **** under a LNP government

i notice the debate from all the LNP supporters in here has gone awfully quiet recently
wonder if they are seeing the error of their ways

Not at all mate, In Vic the LNP is doing what we voted them in for. Exploring various acts of bastardry to save some penny's. We've still got major problems but most of them were pre-existing from several terms of previous governments. I think where LNP have gone wrong is promising to "fix" all the problems. Then 6 months later people are expecting a decade of incompetence to be turned around.

I think you've gotta give a government a full term before casting judgement. Look a Kevin Rudd for example. He was the peoples superhero to start with yet towards the end of his run even his own party had had enough.

They do set themselves up for failure when they go promising to pay already well paid teachers EVEN MORE when there's no money left. I think the Victorian LNP is not doing great by any means but they walked into a mess and I'll reserve my judgment for the end of their term and wait and see if they've accomplished anything.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Artificially bloating the public service to keep the unemployment figures down? What world do you live in?

Far from being bloated, the public service was already dramatically understaffed long before Newman came in. Granted, there was a surfeit of some occupations, mostly in the publicity machine I think, but in general it was and is understaffed.

I personally know people in the public service, long term employees who are well trained, good at their job, and overworked. One of those has found his small technical department is moving from 18 staff to just 6, and they couldnt keep up with the 18 they already had.

Under Newman, its slash and burn, and we will all feel the pain as services decline. Look forward to it. On the plus side, the jobs should become more plentiful in a few short years... Newman is only in for one term. QLD will not stand for what he is dishing out.

I am not a Bligh fan, but Newman is just an mini empire builder. He is totally about Brisbane, doesnt give a crap about the rest of the state. Leave him there for long enough and Brisbane will be a shiny metropolis with a 100m tall statue of him in the middle of a city surrounded by mad max style wastelands....

QLD's public service is larger than NSW and VIC based on a percentage of the population. I saw a chart that compared the three states and the growth of the PS over the last ten years. I'll see if I can find it.

I know a few people in the PS, and surprisingly they aren't happy with the lack of job security. Tough luck, welcome to the real world. No surprise the PS is squealing like stuck pigs.

Everyone else I know is happy with Newman. He is doing what he was voted in to do.

No regrets here.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
with 4 states and 1 territory now under liberal rule is anyone better or worse off?
Qld for one is fast turning to absolute **** under a LNP government

i notice the debate from all the LNP supporters in here has gone awfully quiet recently
wonder if they are seeing the error of their ways

Well they are at least making well founded sustainable decisions by cutting back spending and trying to get the economy back from living well beyond our means. Taking a short term view, clearly lots of people are not as comfortable as before. Longer term there is no doubt we will be better off as a country by having states that are in the black financially. The longer it is left before action starts, the worse things get.

It's no different to you earning $1000 per week but spending $1100, putting the extra $100 on the credit card. Eventually you are going to run out of credit. Then things go really bad. Same is happening in parts of Europe - Greece, Italy, Spain amongst others + USA. Australia as a nation was travelling well till 3 or 4 years ago when the wheels fell off. our then PM, the Glorious Chairman Rudd decided that spending as much money as fast as possible was the answer. Since then we have been federally on the path of the countries mentioned above. The only difference is their debt spiral started decades ago. Ours is very new. It's critical that it stops now as others have found - the longer you leave it, the harder it gets. At least some of the state governments are making a start.

Reaper

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Not at all mate, In Vic the LNP is doing what we voted them in for. Exploring various acts of bastardry to save some penny's. We've still got major problems but most of them were pre-existing from several terms of previous governments. I think where LNP have gone wrong is promising to "fix" all the problems. Then 6 months later people are expecting a decade of incompetence to be turned around.

I think you've gotta give a LIBERAL government a full term before casting judgement. Look a Kevin Rudd for example. He was the peoples superhero to start with yet towards the end of his run even his own party had had enough. We knew this would happen and were bagging him from day one.

They do set themselves up for failure when they go promising to pay already well paid teachers EVEN MORE when there's no money left. I think the Victorian LNP is not doing great by any means but they walked into a mess and I'll reserve my judgment for the end of their term and wait and see if they've accomplished anything. Of course, if they werent LNP, I would start bagging them on their first day in office.

Fixed it for you. :) Bolds are inserted to return to reality.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
How governments work.

Last edited by a moderator:

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Fixed it for you. :) Bolds are inserted to return to reality.

Disagree with your amendments mate, and to be honest I think its a pretty childish way to make your point. I don't know who you think was bagging Rudd from day 1? I seem to remember he was voted in against a strong liberal leader and had a sky high approval rating for some time after the 08 election. There must have been quite a lot of Centre-Right people who thought he was alright otherwise the numbers wouldn't be there to support either of those stats.

I think any government needs a full term labor or liberal, because it takes a long time to stuff things up, and even longer to fix things that were already stuffed. State liberal governments in Vic and Qld had comprehensive wins because both states were fairly stuffed. With this change in leading party we may be better of worse off but only time will tell, and you gotta give it time before casting judgement.... any reasonable person anyway

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The state Labor governments in NSW, Victoria and Qld were given the shove by electorates that were fed up to the backteeth with the chicanery and maladministration that all governments were dishing out. Voters wanted both states to move forward (to take a phrase from Gillard) and fix those things that were seriously broken. I don't know much about Qld, other than to say that they at least were getting things done under the Bligh government, whereas we in NSW were getting absolutely nothing apart from corruption, dishonest cabinet Ministers (one of whom is now a guest of the government for kiddy fiddling and peddling drugs - nice), incompetence and self interest. We voted for a Liberal government because the Labor one was broken - badly broken.

However, after eighteen months, we are still waiting for something to happen, which I knew would be the case because Barry O'Farrel is about as dynamic as week-old dishwater. I voted for his party, not him, knowing that the party needs to get a new, younger and more dynamic leader if anything is to eventuate. I would love just a little bit of Newman's "go" to rub off down here.

The thing is that all three eastern states voted out their stale and incompetent Labor governments and their replacements have inherited basket cases. You can't fix a basket case on a shoestring, nor can you do it without upsetting some of those who voted for you. Newman's attempts to get Qld moving (a far contrast to O'Farrell's performance) might be harsh and perhaps he is trying to do too much, too quickly, but he is at least trying to get the State out of the hole that Labor left it in. 65 billion debt is a massive burden for any state to carry, so those who think he is a bastard, answer this. Just what do you think he should do to get out of this debt if it isn't what he is already doing?

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Disagree with your amendments mate, and to be honest I think its a pretty childish way to make your point. I don't know who you think was bagging Rudd from day 1? I seem to remember he was voted in against a strong liberal leader and had a sky high approval rating for some time after the 08 election. There must have been quite a lot of Centre-Right people who thought he was alright otherwise the numbers wouldn't be there to support either of those stats.

I think any government needs a full term labor or liberal, because it takes a long time to stuff things up, and even longer to fix things that were already stuffed. State liberal governments in Vic and Qld had comprehensive wins because both states were fairly stuffed. With this change in leading party we may be better of worse off but only time will tell, and you gotta give it time before casting judgement.... any reasonable person anyway

I thought it was pretty funny myself. Don't think it was pointed directly at you, just at the LNP supporters in general who did respond to Rudd like that. Don't lose your sense of humour over it. Really, we'd have to look back and see if you did pay out on Rudd but I don't think it's worth it. Have you paid you on Julia before her first term is up? Don't be so serious;)

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Anyone have anything to say about "Ms don't drink or smoke and work hard and you can inherit half a billion like I did Rinehart's" comments? I find the comments rather off saying they work for $2 a day in Africa, just after the shooting of striking workers in SA, that that is what Au should compete with. Maybe she should leave our resources here, take her money, buy an African country and exploit it whilst sitting in the Colonial Club she builds in honour of herself. Her name lacks the letters Va that would politely express the word I have in mind for her.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
To be fair, she only inherited about $70 million :) Of course they included stock in huge mineral resource assets but hey of course the way she has built her fortune up has involved a huge amount of self sacrifice :rofl2: