Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
talking about nuclear. (please correct me if I am wrong)
right now its nuclear Fission, whereby the uranium is broken up.
now from memory/readings/etc nuclear fusion (where they join it up) creates even more energy then fission.

so once that can occur.
will they not be able to use the "waste" products?

I do not know what aftereffects may occur.
but its still an idea for power in the long run.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
talking about nuclear. (please correct me if I am wrong)
right now its nuclear Fission, whereby the uranium is broken up.
now from memory/readings/etc nuclear fusion (where they join it up) creates even more energy then fission.

so once that can occur.
will they not be able to use the "waste" products?

I do not know what aftereffects may occur.
but its still an idea for power in the long run.

Yes Fusion power is like the renewable energy holy grail. Get some hydrogen, fuses into helium, off you go. (Aha but eventually we would run out of hydrogen and have helium pollution...??) However the forces required using current technology to allow the fusion process to happen require more energy than can be taken out. You either need the particles to go near the speed of light or have a crapload of gravity. Like that big particle accelerator in Switzerland.

Another issue with nuclear technology is you have issues with safety. Three Mile Island, ###ashima, Chernobyl. Where you you put the waste?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Yes Fusion power is like the renewable energy holy grail. Get some hydrogen, fuses into helium, off you go. (Aha but eventually we would run out of hydrogen and have helium pollution...??) However the forces required using current technology to allow the fusion process to happen require more energy than can be taken out. You either need the particles to go near the speed of light or have a crapload of gravity. Like that big particle accelerator in Switzerland.

Another issue with nuclear technology is you have issues with safety. Three Mile Island, ###ashima, Chernobyl. Where you you put the waste?

FFs - modern nuclear power is *very* different to Three Mile Island and Chernobyl. Further to that, I'd view the Japanese situation actually a triumph considering the down side may have been there currently may not have been a Japan unless the situation could have been contained.

Bob Hawke (of all people!) came up with what I consider a brilliant scheme where all uranium exported out of Australia must be accompanied by what would have been the equivalent waste products. Make a facility in the north west somewhere and store it. Get the buyers of the uranium to pay for it as a condition of sale, but make sure the ownership of the waste returns to Australia. Like gold in recent times, when the technology allows for the reprocessing of the waste for a more efficient use then we have an abundant supply of already mined "free" material.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
969720_387406141371896_1643160166_n.jpg

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
that is not true as it did not happen.

(+1 for those following the maths)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Key Independent MP Rob Oakeshott has resigned from Federal Parliament

FEDERAL independent MP Rob Oakeshott, whose crucial support helped Labor form the minority government after the 2010 election, has announced he is quitting politics.

The federal member for Lyne has told his local newspaper he will not contest the September 14 election, saying he wants to spend more time with his family and had achieved his goals in parliament.

''Now is the moment,'' he told the Macleay Argus yesterday.

''I have done everything I said I was going to do and done the best I can.''

Mr Oakeshott, who held the NSW north-coast seat of Lyne for five years, denied his decision was prompted by fear of losing at the upcoming federal election.

There was ''no question'' the past three years had been the toughest of his life, and he accepted some of his critics would suggest he was running away from the challenge.

''Those who throw opinions around and try to bully and push members of parliament from the sidelines - they're nothing,'' he said.
Nationals Senate leader Barnaby Joyce, who is contesting Mr Windsor's seat of New England, refused to criticise Mr Oakeshott.

He described him as ''a decent man'' who had no malice.

''I wish him the best for the future,'' Senator Joyce told ABC radio.

Mr Oakeshott became the youngest serving MP in NSW politics after narrowly winning a 1996 by-election for the seat of Port Macquarie for the National Party.

In 2002 he resigned from the Nationals, before being re-elected for his NSW seat as an independent the following year.

He made a tilt at federal politics in impressive fashion, claiming a landslide victory in the by-election for Lyne in 2008.

It was the first time the seat had been taken from the National Party in almost 60 years.

Following the 2010 election, Mr Oakeshott joined fellow NSW rural independent MP Tony Windsor in fierce negotiations with both Labor and the coalition as both sides tried to woo their support.

Eventually however he announced he would provide confidence and supply to Labor, giving them a majority 76 votes in the 150-seat lower house and helping form the hung 43rd parliament.

His departure from Lyne will open up the seat to either Country Labor's Peter Alley, the Australian Greens Ian Oxenford and the Nationals David Gillespie - the latter being the favourite.

Mr Oakeshott said he was concerned about the future of his electorate, but in the end he ''can't be responsible for that''.

''A big part of my difficulty in letting go is that there is a sense of obligation that succession planning as a community is not looking good,'' he said.

There was still work to be done in his region, and many in his electorate were encouraging him to stay on.

But after 17 years in public life, Mr Oakeshott said his number one priority now would be as a father, not a federal MP in a knife-edge parliament.

''I'm tired of it and I've got a family I love and that I'm sick of being away from,'' he said.

''You only get one crack at being a father who's around.''
The Australian

Windsor has announced he's not standing for re-election either. To the pair of you, thanks for your "new paradigm of government" pitty it has delivered what is arguably the worst government in our history.

All I have to say is don't let the door hit your backsides on the way out.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Bugger. The State of Origin is on and she calls it tonight. Which to watch? Either could end up pretty ugly. Guess the ol' recorder gets a work-out tonight.

If Rudd gets up, I'll be a bit disappointed, because I was really looking forward to election day and watching Gillard get flogged. Watching Ruddy lose just won't be as much fun.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bugger. The State of Origin is on and she calls it tonight. Which to watch? Either could end up pretty ugly. Guess the ol' recorder gets a work-out tonight.

If Rudd gets up, I'll be a bit disappointed, because I was really looking forward to election day and watching Gillard get flogged. Watching Ruddy lose just won't be as much fun.

The problem for Labor if Rudd gets up is they loose even more credibility. Near every senior Labor figure **** canned Rudd relentlessly over the last 3 years. Now faced with saving their own skins they suddenly backflip and vote for the guy they have publicly and privately despised.