Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Oh wow a graph, after the fact, covering ten days in June last year during which on one day net migration was at -100,000 and did peak at 500,000. On one day in June last year.
In no way disproves my theory that Shane couldn't find a fact if he fell over it. He just makes things up.
One day?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Oh wow a graph, after the fact, covering ten days in June last year during which on one day net migration was at -100,000 and did peak at 500,000. On one day in June last year.
In no way disproves my theory that Shane couldn't find a fact if he fell over it. He just makes things up.
That graph is from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Here's their web page to reinforce it - https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/people/population/overseas-migration/latest-release

And what this doesn't cover in the commentary about prior periods is the 600k+ expats that returned during Covid when our borders were "closed".

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

Those are years lol.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
How was I to know that given just a picture of a graph without any labels or context whatsoever?
You see how easy it is to misinform?
The graph clearly states it's migration figures for year ending at the top, also has it's per financial year down the bottom..............finally the sheer fact that we wouldn't have 500,000 migrants a day arriving in Australia should've been a giveaway.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
I stand corrected. I misinterpreted it but still that was mainly due to the missing context that preceeded the graph at the original source.

Net overseas migration​

"Net overseas migration is the net gain or loss of population through international migration to and from Australia.
In the year ending 30 June 2023, overseas migration contributed a net gain of 518,000 people to Australia's population. This was the largest net overseas migration estimate since records began.
Historically, more people migrate to Australia than migrate away each year, meaning overseas migration has been a significant source of population gain for Australia rather than loss. Although overseas migration was a record high in 2022-23, the cycle of migration has not returned to the pattern seen prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Many potential migrants didn't come to Australia in 2020 and 2021 because of border closures and other pandemic impacts. During this time temporary visa holders recorded the largest declines in arrivals. In 2022-23 the number of migrants arriving on temporary visas has gone up but the number departing has reduced slightly."

My claim still stands though, that Shane never presents any evidence or source to back up his statements. Instead he has to rely on others to go and find the information for him the next day.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I stand corrected. I misinterpreted it but still that was mainly due to the missing context that preceeded the graph at the original source.

Net overseas migration​

"Net overseas migration is the net gain or loss of population through international migration to and from Australia.
In the year ending 30 June 2023, overseas migration contributed a net gain of 518,000 people to Australia's population. This was the largest net overseas migration estimate since records began.
Historically, more people migrate to Australia than migrate away each year, meaning overseas migration has been a significant source of population gain for Australia rather than loss. Although overseas migration was a record high in 2022-23, the cycle of migration has not returned to the pattern seen prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Many potential migrants didn't come to Australia in 2020 and 2021 because of border closures and other pandemic impacts. During this time temporary visa holders recorded the largest declines in arrivals. In 2022-23 the number of migrants arriving on temporary visas has gone up but the number departing has reduced slightly."

My claim still stands though, that Shane never presents any evidence or source to back up his statements. Instead he has to rely on others to go and find the information for him the next day.

Was I wrong?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Oh well it looks like Jeremy has been right this whole time lol, "Go Woke, Go Broke"
It looks like the left-wing culture war is starting to fall on its face.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Oh well it looks like Jeremy has been right this whole time lol, "Go Woke, Go Broke"
It looks like the left-wing culture war is starting to fall on its face.

What is the issue with ‘woke’ and the rightwing fascination of it?

A lot of people don’t even know what ‘woke’ means. Apparently it means…

“Woke is an adjective derived from African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) meaning "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination". Beginning in the 2010s, it came to encompass a broader awareness of social inequalities such as racial injustice, sexism, and denial of LGBT rights”.

So, it does beg the question as to why ‘woke’ is bad, and why would you want to be ‘anti-woke’? It’s be like wanting to be a racists, sexist, or bigot. But I suppose there are some who’d proudly be a member of the KKK (providing they can keep their face and identity concealed!).

And have a look at the current Disney share prices (you can do so for yourself). They are still hovering at about the same level, so it’s a stretch the equate any particular dip or rise to any particular announcement.

The only real plus I take from hearing the word ‘woke’ is that when I hear it I’m alerted to the probability that someone has been listening (and probably deceived by) Sky News or News Corp where ‘woke’ (and ‘elite’) seem to be used often - without any thought as to what the word/s actually means. They are actually inviting their viewers/listeners/readers to be bigots.