Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jolls VZ ute project

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
The grille arrived so we threw it in to see how she looks. Pretty ugly I have to say - but once we get her all painted in Heron White with soome black mesh in the bar I think we are on the way. I haven't purchased it yet but I think we are going to run with the VK sytle 2in reverse cowl to match the grille. Plan is to cut a couple of holes underneath the keep the old donk cool.
20210902 Letterbox Grille small.jpg

If you look closely you can see the back end of the Crewman project to the left. It is not getting the same treatment as this old girl. Has got a coat of "the Phantom" purple on her. Between my ute and the house build we have to find time to fab up a tray, pull out the V6 and add in an LS2.

While at it we installed the hard top off the old ute. I needs to be rubbed back to the gel coat and will get a twin hump graft. I have to earn the beer tokens for the purchase first so she will look like a dogs breakfast for a while longer yet.
20210902 Hardlid Installed small.jpg

Probably the fastest and ugliest ute in town. A bit of a fugley duckling at the moment!

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd be interested to hear what you work out in the way of tiedown points in the tub. When I finally get my new ute I need something to tie the best mate too. They book you around here if you just chuck him in untied. Plus he might jump out when parked if he sees another dog or cat, or an animal.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I'd be interested to hear what you work out in the way of tiedown points in the tub.

Hi Losh

I've been looking into this quite a bit. I am thinking of making up a combo of the VE ute bed tracks. I have found them on both eBay and Gumtree. Details can be found here
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/ute-bed-load-anchors.266048/

That means that all of the significant tie down points will be at the bottom of the tray and I think that will work well for us. We can tie down appliances etc if we need to and I can tie the bikes down if I need to. We have a Hilux, usually configured as a tray back, towing a bulders trailer that we usually use for the heavier work

I intend to make upsomething like the ute barrier to go with it
https://www.theutebarrier.com.au/products/holden-commodore-ute-vt-vz-2000-2006

As you can see in the photos it is just a bit of channel with nutserts. My plan is to make a barrier that I can lock into the side using strategically located nutserts and into the bottom using the VE tie down tracks. I plan to run an LED strip light down each side with a door type switch with manual overide so it can be turned off if the hard lid is removed.

I want to combine it with a remote locking system (jsut because I am a lazy ****). Not sure if I will build it myself or simply purchase the one from lidlock. I think I may have to fab it up becase the tie down rail looks like it will interfere with the setup from lid lock.

For the best mate I think you could run a channel across the top of the tub at the front with some additional relocatable tie down points. I will include one at the front of mine to tie down my classic bikes when I attend rallies that are too far to ride comfortably. It will fit nicely between the hard lid hinges.

Cheers n Beers

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
So it has been a long while since I have been on here - was doing some work overseas. Got home recently and was planning to finish the ute by adding the bonnet scoop and doing the respray when it warms up in spring. Unfortunately we are now back at square 1. Hit another roo! (The running gear for this ute came from my VY that also hit a roo)

The radiator support panel has been pushed back about 50mm so I expect we are again in write off territory. I was fortunate enough to come across a VY SS ute for sale that has had most of the work already done - cam and port work, DI Filippo extractors and 3in exhaust, complete with PWR radiator and VZ themo-fans already installed. It comes with a reco gearbox, one piece tail shaft and a TrueTrac with 3.9 Dana gears still in their packaging ready to install Needs a clutch, OTR and tune to finish (although it had a MAFless tune done with auto in it prior to the planned manual conversion). Looking forward to picking the replacement up on Sunday and getting to work on building (well really finishing) another ute project. I may invest in a 5 poster front bar and build her in a BnS/country ute style. Maybe she will survive any further Skippy attacks!

This poor old girl will not be totally lost to us though. Almost all of her will transition into the purple Crewman project. This frees up the 6.0 litre LS donk we had planned to use for our 43 International Ute Rat Rod project. (Just need to find the time (and more beer tokens).

Anyone running a 68mm PWR radiator with OTR I would be keen to know what OTR you are running. I have been told that most OTR don't work because the PWR is 13mm thicker than standard.

The VZ is dead - long live the VY!

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
So this is what I purchased - Purple Haze VY SS ute:
  • Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 232/234 cam,
  • ported and shaved heads (stage 2.5 supposedly - actual specs unknown),
  • Difillipo headers
  • 3in stainless exhaust in the tray,
  • upgraded fuel pump and injectors,
  • engine mounts upgraded to tough mounts,
  • PWR 68mm VZ radiator with thermo fans,
  • reconditioned and upgraded T56 gearbox (apparently rated to 500kw) in the tray
  • Eaton true trac with dana 3.9 gears new in a box - (diff is just an empty pumpkin in the tray),
  • a solid centre tailshaft in the tray to connect the go fast bits (rated to 500kw),
  • soundproofed cabin,
  • leather interior,
  • two amps (need to work out the sound system), and
  • remote start (need to work this out too).
Power Train
  • I'm not sure the cam will work for me. The specified operating range is 2400 - 7200 and the cam is designated for "race use only". Maybe a little too aggressive. We will see - maybe it will work with 3.9 rear end? Experience based advice here would be gold!
  • Gearbox appears fine and has not been installed. It has definitely been opened up to work on - external bleeder with braided hose has been added. A bit of oxidisation on the exterior (maybe left in the weather) that I will soda blast off before painting (red to make it go faster?)
  • Deciding on sending the diff to get done professionally or taking the time to set it up myself. I have the tools to do it just not the experience. May lean on the wisdom of JC to do this.
Exterior
  • Clear has started to peel in a couple of locations on the passenger door, passenger rear wheel arch and roof. Will decide on a closed door some colour respray or touch up approach when I have cleaned her up properly.
  • Minor dent in the passenger left rear quarter and a couple in the tailgate. I have two good condition tailgates so I will paint one up as the replacement. I will get to the paint when the weather warms up a bit.
Interior
  • a couple of splits in the drivers seat stitching so I will get the drivers seat to the upholsterer. Apart from that she is in good condition. Just needs a bit of black leather dye and plenty of leather conditioner. I will be channeling Fu's efforts on his crewman resto here.
Electrical
  • A few extra cables hanging down that I will need to work through. A typical half arsed job at wiring in a couple of amps and a remote start. Why is it that the effort put into the mechanicals hardly ever translates to the the electrical side of a build?
  • Amp power cable has been cut inside the engine bay and has a meter or so coiled behind the driver's seat. I know there will be work required here.
So we have a great base to start from - just need a name for her. I never got around the naming the VZ as I was waiting until I finished the paint for inspiration. I'm leaning towards Jimi (after Hendrix and "Purple Haze"). I guess that will make her a him - lucky we live in such a modern world. ;). I you have any other thoughts I would love to hear them!

20220725_090658 small.jpg

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Jimi Hendrix

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
.......... or maybe not. Bit deep and meaning mournful.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Jimi sounds too Suzuki ............. "Prince" as in Purple Rain.
Yeah, didn't think about Jimi and Suzuki!

Prince is a bit lame for a mean ute too.

Maybe Hendrix - or there's always the "Flying Purple People Eater"

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Purple Haze by Jimi brings back memories of my 19s and 20s. Get home from work at the bakery have a few pipes and crank Jimi and my fave was always Purple Haze that went up to near full volume.