Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just got HSV headers

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
As you said i have been told the fuel smell is non existant as long as the car has been tuned accordingly.

Would you say 100cpi is overkill for a stock (only hsv 340 exhaust and otr) ls3 or go hard or go home and go with 100 cpi. Ive been advised ballistic racing cats 100 but dont want it overly loud as im happy with the sound as it is. But then again the extra power is tempting.

I know its a long shot but anyone in northern suburbs melbourne with similar set ups so I could possibly have a listen?

Ballistic cats flow very well, they're the same size as the factory cats and outflow most other aftermarket cats.
The larger size ensures more substrate area for the exhaust gasses to flow over, so they should be equivalent to a smaller 200cpi cat in emissions reduction, but able to flow more.

Shouldn't have a fuel smell if the tuner knows what he's doing.

HB.SSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Ok so i dropped by a local (and reputable according to JC) tuner to gain some more info on tuning, prices and questions i had. Now he told me that there is no point on using hi flow cats and that there will be no difference to sound and power compared to the stock hsv 340 cats. His advice goes somewhat against what I have read on a few threads on here which has confused me more than what I already was. Do I need to find a new tuner or stick with his advice?

MY17DIR

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 LE Director....
Ok so i dropped by a local (and reputable according to JC) tuner to gain some more info on tuning, prices and questions i had. Now he told me that there is no point on using hi flow cats and that there will be no difference to sound and power compared to the stock hsv 340 cats. His advice goes somewhat against what I have read on a few threads on here which has confused me more than what I already was. Do I need to find a new tuner or stick with his advice?

Has the tuner "actually" done this change and compared the different cats and corresponding sound levels, like people on this forum have done? Or is he guessing and making an assumption? Alot of tuners will talk you out of certain mods because they have absolutely no experience in it and is not what they "know" or do as a norm

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
These are very basic entry level mods, if you think your Tuner is struggling to get their head around it then I suggest you turn and quickly walk away and speak to another.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Ive been advised ballistic racing cats 100 but dont want it overly loud as im happy with the sound as it is. But then again the extra power is tempting.
Years ago I got some cheap 100cpi cats of eBay(venom) worked on but tinny sound, changed to ballistic cats and lot deeper sound.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Has the tuner "actually" done this change and compared the different cats and corresponding sound levels, like people on this forum have done? Or is he guessing and making an assumption? Alot of tuners will talk you out of certain mods because they have absolutely no experience in it and is not what they "know" or do as a norm
Interesting discussion as my tuner told me similar that in Na form the Holden cats perform OK and 100cpi cats will give you only a few kW. If you look at Holden cat it's huge internally can can flow a lot. The main increase is getting rid if the bend.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Now he told me that there is no point on using hi flow cats and that there will be no difference to sound and power compared to the stock hsv 340 cats.
These are very basic entry level mods, if you think your Tuner is struggling to get their head around it then I suggest you turn and quickly walk away and speak to another.
sounds like the job is too small for them to want to bother with.

HB.SSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Yeah sounded like its either too small a job or he doesnt know what hes talking about. His reasoning was somethin along the lines of the main restriction is in the 2.5" exhaust so no point flowing more through the cats when its going to get restricted in the mid section. Didnt sound right to me as most aftermarket exhausts come in 2.5" with high flow cats aswell as bigger diameters. He also said the hsv system is infact smaller than 2.5" as the inside of the pipes is sleaved to make it smaller.

Im going to ring a few more tuners on Monday and see how i go.

Last edited: