Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just put second set of splits in front!

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
What's the obvious reason?

............ well I thought it was obvious :whistling now not too sure since you question it.

If you had the back speakers the same gain as the front speakers ... you wouldn't be able to hear the back speakers over the front because 1. you are closer to the front speakers and 2. a human ear hears the 180 degrees ahead a lot better than the 180 behind, you do most of your hearing in the front direction.......... so I hear anyway.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
75W RMS speakers running at full tilt will make your ears bleed :p

Why not run the 2nd set in the rear, bound to be better than having 2 sets in the front??

If you may not have noticed, the second set of splits were previously my rear set, I removed them because I found that I couldn't even hear them over the fronts. Thought they were just wasting away back there.

The rear speakers are pretty much only meant for passengers in the back .... as I don't carry passengers I don't need them.

As mentioned earlier... If I had money I would buy a hell good set of splits for the front... but I don't so I just used what I had. Unfortunately I didn't pay notice to the rear speakers and just brought rear speakers because it's the norm to have front and rear speakers.... just followed the crowd ... mistake.

When I upgrade I ain't going to get rear speakers again, I'll spend twice as much for the fronts and not have rears.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
oh my
i think a good set of splits would have bene the better way to go
adding a second set doesnt mean it makes it louder

I don't get it... How can 1 speaker produce the same volume as 2 speakers? How can 75x2=150 equal same volume as 75x1=75?? Wouldn't you get more volume from multiple speakers instead of just one?

Maybe I'm totally off ball, could someone explain please.

Why do people get 2 subs instead of just 1? they stupid or something? because the one sub will get as much volume as 2?

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
I don't get it... How can 1 speaker produce the same volume as 2 speakers? How can 75x2=150 equal same volume as 75x1=75?? Wouldn't you get more volume from multiple speakers instead of just one?

Maybe I'm totally off ball, could someone explain please.

Why do people get 2 subs instead of just 1? they stupid or something? because the one sub will get as much volume as 2?

Are you serious? ....

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
............ well I thought it was obvious :whistling now not too sure since you question it.

If you had the back speakers the same gain as the front speakers ... you wouldn't be able to hear the back speakers over the front because 1. you are closer to the front speakers and 2. a human ear hears the 180 degrees ahead a lot better than the 180 behind, you do most of your hearing in the front direction.......... so I hear anyway.
A properly set up car audio system will have most of the sound coming from the front. Obviously people have different preferences, but more sound from the front and just the rear speakers filling in a little bit is how a decent installer would set it up.

2 sets should be louder... But a lot of things can affect it, like cancellation, reflection of the sound and things.

Example for multiple speakers (example dB figures):
1 speaker with 10W = 100dB
1 speaker with 20W = 103dB

2 speakers sharing 10W = 103dB
2 speakers with 10W each = 106dB

Doubling speakers but using the same power adds 3dB.
Doubling power but using same speakers adds 3dB.

Doubling speakers and power adds 6dB.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
A properly set up car audio system will have most of the sound coming from the front. Obviously people have different preferences, but more sound from the front and just the rear speakers filling in a little bit is how a decent installer would set it up.

2 sets should be louder... But a lot of things can affect it, like cancellation, reflection of the sound and things.

Example for multiple speakers (example dB figures):
1 speaker with 10W = 100dB
1 speaker with 20W = 103dB

2 speakers sharing 10W = 103dB
2 speakers with 10W each = 106dB

Doubling speakers but using the same power adds 3dB.
Doubling power but using same speakers adds 3dB.

Doubling speakers and power adds 6dB.

Hi StoneX, I am aware of double power = 3db gain ratio etc.
So I'm not sure why you pointed this out... I spent ZERO $$ to gain 3db. To my ears I don't it being worse in cancellation respect. I do find it to be louder, and since adding the second tweeter I can hear the highs a lot clearer and louder (could be the positioning, instead of the stock tweeter spot and near the window visor, but the +3db gain contributes).

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Are you serious? ....

double the power = +3db gain. In subwoofer terms double subs equals more cones space = more movement of air.

I don't get the "Are you serious? ...." comment.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
"Double power = 3db gain"......this means if you double the power going to the original set you'll gain 3db and wont have other issues like cancellation.

Im like a dog with a bone, i know... :)