Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Justin's New 'WYF' VY II SS 6 Speed Manual *Nom Nom

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
Forgot to mention I got this in the mail today.

Runner up prize for a triple M metallica competition. First prize was a metallica stern pinball machine. Ment to go to biggest metallica in Australia. And I know them all(seriously). Went to some guy Ive never heard of lol o well hope he is enjoying it. Thanks for the free loot Triple M... BTW your radio station sucks how about play a metallica song that isnt enter sandman for once.

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
Well i am back. Thought I was gone for good? (lol who the hell is VRstato64?)

Anyway. SOOOOOO much has happened and I just did not have the time to post anything.

2014 was my final year of University. I studied Industrial Design, which is really anything 3 dimensional. Look around the room every single thing is Industrial design, TV, phone, chairs, tables, pens, cups, drink bottles, clocks, light switches, and yoru car is also Industrial design. Of course you have the engineering side of things, running gear, engine etc. But industrial designers work next to the engineers. Anyway the field is easily the most broad of all design disciplines.

It was a big year. I finished without going into a melt down. My final project was a military level tech Autonomous Drone for Monitoring bushfires, it is a concept and not intended to be a production ready product. I didnt make it spaced aged and everything about it is based on real world tech and physics. With a healthy dose of artistic licence, it had to look cool. Anyway I am a finalist in a very prestigious design competition and you can get a snap shot of my design below.

Phoenix Autonomous Fire Drone « Hills Young Australian Design Awards

After Christmas I travelled to india todo whats call 'The Rickshaw Run' a charity race across india in a 3 wheeled 7 horsepower tuk tuk. The What?

We drove 4000km in that thing. From Jailsamer in far east of India to Shillong in far west India. In the Himalayas, through desert, cities, you name in we drove through it.

And errrmmm, maybe we pushed the little bugger a little hard hahahaha, the stories are endless for this trip. I recommend doing it!!!!! but it was the most demanding thing I have ever done, body, mind and spirit.

Before I left I landed my first REAL big man job in my chosen field. The design team at a big automotive name! you guessed it FORD!!! haha

Thats right I have turned to the darkside, the holden kid is now a Designer for Ford Australia and Asia pacific. WHich is a dream come true! For anyone that doesnt know, despite the closing of the factories the design centre is growing. Australia is actually a leader in Automotive design.

I also graduated this week.

OPPPS forgot to mention!!!! See a ring on DAT finger??? Yerp I got Engaged, Maria and I have been together 8 years. And now I have a good job, finished uni and nothing but possibilities in front of me, it was time!

SO yeah been super busy. But enough of that, whats happening with the SS?

Finally after over a year driving around with the gauges unwired and not working I took the time and tried my hand at fitting them. I had put it off for a number of reasons but also because I was scared todo it on my own, I have never done any wiring or pulled a dash apart. Not even a headunit install. Needless to say pulling everything apart took longer than it should. It ended up being an easy plug and play thing and I barely did anything other than run the harness through the dash.

These screws were hard to get to with the windscreen in the way. Inefficient way to undo a screw but you gotta make things work.

The entire console has to be taken out to run the wiring.

The wiring harness gets fed behind the center console, I really damaged the air foam seal I hope that doesnt create issues.
You basically run the wires down next to the climate control and stereo to where the cigarette lighter plug is (which is there even if you dont have one like me)
There was a perfect gap in front of the shifter boot to slip my phone in to give me some light pro tip.

The harness has a male and female plug on the end. Took me ages to figure out that you just plug the male connector into the factory cigarette plug and the female plug is left unused UNLESS you have a factory cig lighter installed, in which case you plug the male plug into the gauges female connector.

There is a single wire that is ment for the oil pressure sender, which has to be feed through the fire wall. Funnily enough the instruction told me to run it through a passenger side grommet not drivers side. The purple wire off the gauges harness plugs into the protected oil pressure sender cable.

There is a grommet in the firewall that has nothing running through it, So you just run the gauge cable through and put the supplied grommet in its place. I assume this is how they do it from the factory for the VY HSVs and beyond which is why the instructions tell you todo it this way.

I ran out of light and didnt have time to jack the car up and fit the oil pressure sensor. But they work!!!

I have one issue though. You can either use the factory oil sensor spot and use a T piece adapter OR you can use an plate and tap into the block via a spot next to the oil filter.
Anyway know the Advantages or disadvantages or either option?? I have a T piece but not the plate. Either one looks like a pain to get to.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
Here are the oil pressure options.

An adapter plate that fits in place near the oil filter. I beleive this gives the best reading (or so I have read) However I have been having trouble find a suitable plate for a reasonable cost.

This is what the factory plate looks like, which you have probably seen. Which some have drilled and tapped into. Which I am tentative todo because if I get it wrong, then its oil everywhere.
DIY or bought it means I have to wait todo an oil change before I can fit it.

The other option is to use a T piece behind the manifold where the factory Oil pressure sender is. It is very difficult to get to with my LPG system in place... but I already have a T piece so maybe I should just do that.

I would love some opinions. Or maybe direction on where I could buy a plate for the oil filter location? Searches are coming up donuts.

ALSO I am new to this. Is there a thread sealant or something necessary in this situation? surely just threading the sender in isnt enough for the amount of pressure in the engine? ***EDIT. Found out myself, teflon tape or thread sealer.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
As a general rule of thumb I tend to use the plate adaptor for ease of fitments. However... on the LS, the filter is upside and level with the sump, when you attempt to use the sandwich plate it lowers the filter about 10-15mm past the bottom of the sump and it will just touch the bash plate underneath. In the past where I've been forced to use I've placed a 20mm spacer on the bash plate and all is good... but this effectively makes the bash plate so close to the ground that... well... getting into Maccas on a Friday night could be a little embarrassing. Plus... with your driveway? #### me mate...

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
That sucks how on the vy's you have to hardwire in a sensor and that to get them to work , on the vz's they get all the info from the obd2 coms .

I think people run something like this Chev LS1 OIL Filter Sandwich Plate Adapter Pressure Temperature Sensor US Made | eBay
Yeah I had seen those plates definitely an option. But they seem to be more for when you run a oil line for a turbo or have multiple gauges? guess I can just block the other holes. more than I want to pay for an adapter Also.

I was also thinking of changing the volt gauge for oil tempt. But that requires more wiring... And money.
As a general rule of thumb I tend to use the plate adaptor for ease of fitments. However... on the LS, the filter is upside and level with the sump, when you attempt to use the sandwich plate it lowers the filter about 10-15mm past the bottom of the sump and it will just touch the bash plate underneath. In the past where I've been forced to use I've placed a 20mm spacer on the bash plate and all is good... but this effectively makes the bash plate so close to the ground that... well... getting into Maccas on a Friday night could be a little embarrassing. Plus... with your driveway? #### me mate...

yeah clearance is a big issue. The car doesn't scrape at all right now. But it's standard height and wheels.

But I do have plans to put bigger wheels on and lower it a touch. But not until I find a new house closer to work. Cos you know driveway.... Hahah

More searching took me to some US Oem parts places. So I should be able to find a plate cover plate that I can drill/tap and just swap out next oil change. Would be the cheapest option. I will try Holden first though.

I kinda draw the line at $20 for a piece of metal like that. The setup is already cost a bit and it's mostly for looks Let's be honest haha. Would have been nice to have them hooked up when the alternator died haha only time I could give a **** about my volts.