Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kill Switch - Rule No1 No one talk about Kill Switch

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Hi
I have been researching kills switches. I understand its not smart to have details online and the less people know the better. I did find this which looks good but I think i would need a sparky to install for me.
https://starterstopper.com/
It needs to be installed between the starter relay and solenoid. Plus some other wires.
I like how the button combination last 25sec then resets. No need to turn off.

If I was to just put a single switch in a line somewhere to disconnect eg starter fuse or fuel where would be the best place to look at wiring.
A fuse extender with a switch might be easy to find but easy done. A hidden wire might be better somewhere.

I have a tracker
steering lock

Seems to be a lot getting stolen without keys now.

Let me know if you have any ideas. PM if you dont want to broadcast online.

Cheers

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
looks pretty cool.
starter motor kill switches bring back memories of the metal spanner override lol

trackers are good for locating and good ones can disable the vehicle from your phone.

i would not bother with steering locks because you can buy a pick set for less than 100 dollars and learn how to pick a steering lock in a few seconds by watching youtube videos.

if i were to use that starterstopper i would connect it to the fuel pump.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
looks pretty cool.
starter motor kill switches bring back memories of the metal spanner override lol

trackers are good for locating and good ones can disable the vehicle from your phone.

i would not bother with steering locks because you can buy a pick set for less than 100 dollars and learn how to pick a steering lock in a few seconds by watching youtube videos.

Do you know where to find wires to fuel pump. Under rear seat and wire colours? A switch on this would be good. I have seem a lot on youtube adding one to start button also.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm a fan of fuel cut out switches....

It stems from older cars where it was easy to bypass electrical switches...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I’d put a time delay relay into the equation. Ideally you want the thieves to think the car just stalled and has a problem, that way they aren’t suspect on it having a kill switch (might not work too well with a VF as the expectation that it will run properly is high).

Another advantage of time delay is that if they get 30 seconds down the road and it stalls on them they are likely to leg it and leave your car unaffected. If it won’t go anywhere in your driveway they have plenty of time to find your kill switch in the secluded setting of your driveway.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Start stopper wouldnt work on pump as it only stays active for 25 sec then disconnects. Just to allow starting car.
Fuel pump would be best with on off switch.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Start stopper wouldnt work on pump as it only stays active for 25 sec then disconnects. Just to allow starting car.
Fuel pump would be best with on off switch.
ahh its not a persistent(latching) switch.

the problem with using the starter motor as the part killed is it can still be started with a piece of metal assuming they can get access to the terminals on the starter motor because you are only disabling the power to the solenoid not the actual starter motor so a bridge from the positive terminal on the motor to the solenoid is enough to make the starter crank and engage.

if there is no access to the rear of the starter then its a fairly solid kill method.

you could still use the startstopper on the pump if you setup a latching relay on the pump line so the startstopper kicks it in and it stays latched until ignition off.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Everything helps, so I think it is worth considering the starter stopper.

Depending on where you are parking your car, and if you have keyless entry and button-start, also consider shielding the keys when it is parked at home (especially if parked in an open driveway). One of the method of steeling the cars is a relatively simple method of amplifying the key signal so the car will open and start. There are also shielding pouches for keys for when it is parked away from home.

For those with automatics, there is a nifty pedal locking plate for the VF available on eBay. It’s probably not something you’d want to use every time, but it definitely would be worthwhile considering using if parking in a dodgy area. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/126232624949 (sold out at the moment, but the seller makes them himself, so maybe contact them if interested?).

In the end, nothing will make the car unstealable, all you can really do it make it as difficult as possible.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Everything helps, so I think it is worth considering the starter stopper.

Depending on where you are parking your car, and if you have keyless entry and button-start, also consider shielding the keys when it is parked at home (especially if parked in an open driveway). One of the method of steeling the cars is a relatively simple method of amplifying the key signal so the car will open and start. There are also shielding pouches for keys for when it is parked away from home.

For those with automatics, there is a nifty pedal locking plate for the VF available on eBay. It’s probably not something you’d want to use every time, but it definitely would be worthwhile considering using if parking in a dodgy area. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/126232624949 (sold out at the moment, but the seller makes them himself, so maybe contact them if interested?).

In the end, nothing will make the car unstealable, all you can really do it make it as difficult as possible.
That brake plate looks great. I have a manual. Yes i just want to add another layer. Most thieves wouldnt dig too far if not straight forward.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Does anyone know of fuel pump wire to disable?