Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kill Switch - Rule No1 No one talk about Kill Switch

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Everything helps, so I think it is worth considering the starter stopper.

Depending on where you are parking your car, and if you have keyless entry and button-start, also consider shielding the keys when it is parked at home (especially if parked in an open driveway). One of the method of steeling the cars is a relatively simple method of amplifying the key signal so the car will open and start. There are also shielding pouches for keys for when it is parked away from home.

For those with automatics, there is a nifty pedal locking plate for the VF available on eBay. It’s probably not something you’d want to use every time, but it definitely would be worthwhile considering using if parking in a dodgy area. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/126232624949 (sold out at the moment, but the seller makes them himself, so maybe contact them if interested?).

In the end, nothing will make the car unstealable, all you can really do it make it as difficult as possible.
Got me think about welding something up for my clutch and brake. It then disables the start switch not being able to push clutch in.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Does anyone know of fuel pump wire to disable?
look in your manual under fuses, you should have one for fuel pump in one of the fuse boxes.
a connection could be made behind the fuse box for the pump wire.
it saves digging into the vehicle harness or attempting to do it at the pump etc.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
look in your manual under fuses, you should have one for fuel pump in one of the fuse boxes.
a connection could be made behind the fuse box for the pump wire.
it saves digging into the vehicle harness or attempting to do it at the pump etc.
I will see if i can get behind so its not easy to see the change.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
There are two approaches the disabling the fuel pump. You can (a) cut the power to the fuel pump control module, or you can (b) cut the connection between the fuel pump control module and the pump itself.

The wiring to the fuel pump control module is straightforward 12V dc. The wiring between the fuel pump control module and the pump is pulse-width-modulated dc. It is in shielded cable so breaking in to it isn’t as straightforward, but it is doable.

For maximum security, you want the break (or relay) buried away (hidden) and as hard (and time consuming) to bypass as possible. There is little point hiding a relay deep in to the body if all that is need to defeat it is to short a couple of wires running off to that relay.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Got me think about welding something up for my clutch and brake. It then disables the start switch not being able to push clutch in.

Yep, what I like about that pedal locking plate is that it provides two levels of security. Firstly, it locks the brake pedal making the car very difficult to drive and control. And, as you point out, locking the brake effectively disables the button-start feature.

I think the particular appeal of that pedal lock on eBay is the style of lock it is designed to use. The lock itself is pretty impressive and seems well suited to the size of SHS used.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Yep, what I like about that pedal locking plate is that it provides two levels of security. Firstly, it locks the brake pedal making the car very difficult to drive and control. And, as you point out, locking the brake effectively disables the button-start feature.

I think the particular appeal of that pedal lock on eBay is the style of lock it is designed to use. The lock itself is pretty impressive and seems well suited to the size of SHS used.
And could be designed to be very difficult to cut off quickly

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

That's a clever set up. Looks like an easy project, and I still have 3 large ABUS padlocks doing nothing in the workshop.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
You might not need to spend $100 on a lock if the plate was designed to cover the lock from access to cutters or grinders.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Transport mode isolates the remote door locks and takes the key blade to open the door. Will that stop them electronically bypassing the system and start the engine without the key?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Transport mode isolates the remote door locks and takes the key blade to open the door. Will that stop them electronically bypassing the system and start the engine without the key?
does it disable the horn alert when opened?
if it does they can gain access without alerting anyone and get access to the obd.

i think one of the issues we are starting to see is the availability of programming tools online cheap, the same tools locksmiths etc use so they can use the same methods to access the vehicles computer and reprogram keys like a locksmith would do.

the only hurdle i could see is when they open the door the horn will go off so if they can get around that using a pkes sniffer then they can get access to what they need.
another thing they could do is if they know the wiring system enough they might be able to isolate a canbus wire externally and if they can do that then they could unlock the vehicle and enter without the horn sounding.

if they are using obd programming tools then one option is to remove the standard obd port and replace it with something non standard then make a patch cable from that to obd so when needed it can still be accessed by standard programming tools, while they could try and make a patch on the go they would need spare wire and time to do it.

3rd party isolation is the best imo because its not standard so they dont know what they are looking for which is why we use the gtk devices on the mine/refinery sites, once disabled the vehicle is not going anywhere and if it moves(towed) we get alerts.

that starterstopper thing is a pretty good idea, like i mentioned before it can be spliced into any electrical line for isolation if you use/make a latching relay.

its getting to the point where it was harder to steal on old 1980's corolla then it is to steal a modern vehicle with advanced security systems, just look at that kia usb garbage LOL