Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kill Switch - Rule No1 No one talk about Kill Switch

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I'm a fan of fuel cut out switches....

It stems from older cars where it was easy to bypass electrical switches...
Thats how I've done the VR, it's got a hidden kill switch for the fuel pump relay.

Nice and simple, but effective.

It also has the added advantage that you can depressurise the fuel system from within the cabin without having to stuff around pulling relays etc.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
does it disable the horn alert when opened?
if it does they can gain access without alerting anyone and get access to the obd.
I don't know if it disables the horn alert, but in transport mode, they'd need to break into the car and probably isn't too difficult. If they're programming keys, it's doable but isn't a fast process and they'll be there a while messing around.

Locksmiths can cut and program keys from a VIN number apparently, so I don't know if a thief can get the VIN off the windscreen, give it to a shonky locksmith to supply a key ready to go. It would be good to know how they're actually stealing them.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
does it disable the horn alert when opened?
if it does they can gain access without alerting anyone and get access to the obd.

i think one of the issues we are starting to see is the availability of programming tools online cheap, the same tools locksmiths etc use so they can use the same methods to access the vehicles computer and reprogram keys like a locksmith would do.

the only hurdle i could see is when they open the door the horn will go off so if they can get around that using a pkes sniffer then they can get access to what they need.
another thing they could do is if they know the wiring system enough they might be able to isolate a canbus wire externally and if they can do that then they could unlock the vehicle and enter without the horn sounding.

if they are using obd programming tools then one option is to remove the standard obd port and replace it with something non standard then make a patch cable from that to obd so when needed it can still be accessed by standard programming tools, while they could try and make a patch on the go they would need spare wire and time to do it.

3rd party isolation is the best imo because its not standard so they dont know what they are looking for which is why we use the gtk devices on the mine/refinery sites, once disabled the vehicle is not going anywhere and if it moves(towed) we get alerts.

that starterstopper thing is a pretty good idea, like i mentioned before it can be spliced into any electrical line for isolation if you use/make a latching relay.

its getting to the point where it was harder to steal on old 1980's corolla then it is to steal a modern vehicle with advanced security systems, just look at that kia usb garbage LOL

Just to add, but without giving away too much, I am starting to form a view from several reports and pictures I’ve seen of attempted thefts that the thieves might be attempting to gain access to the CAN bus from outside the vehicle. I’m not sure if it to simply issue a CAN ‘unlock door’ message (or similar), or if they can do the entire reprogramming or rekeying from outside the vehicle?

I haven’t checked if that access area does indeed have CAN bus wiring running through it, but if it does, it is making me think that we (VF owners) may need to do a bit of mechanical fortification near that CAN wiring? But in any case, the keyless entry system does have its own inherent weaknesses, which is not just a VF issue.

I do hope that someone will produce a replacement key fob enclosure that has a simple switch so the fob can be disabled (switched off) when not in use. Or even do what one of the European manufacturers is doing and putting a motion sensor in the key fob (so it automatically goes to sleep when stationary).

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I find this the best deterrent for car theft:)

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpeg
    IMG_0149.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 54

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Just to add, but without giving away too much, I am starting to form a view from several reports and pictures I’ve seen of attempted thefts that the thieves might be attempting to gain access to the CAN bus from outside the vehicle.
I know the pictures you're referring to and apparently yes, there's CAN bus access there. I haven't physically had a look but I will to confirm it. I originally thought they were stealing keys from inside houses, but discovering they not necessarily is a bit of a worry.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thats how I've done the VR, it's got a hidden kill switch for the fuel pump relay.

Nice and simple, but effective.

It also has the added advantage that you can depressurise the fuel system from within the cabin without having to stuff around pulling relays etc.

I'm all for the KISS system.... ;)

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The easist way I can see with out modifying the existing wiring,
Is to grab a blown blade fuse that will suit the car in question, (your/any choice of rating).

Modify it and solder a pair of wires to it, (length of wire needs to be considered)
Install a inline fuse (with the correct rating) between the fuse box and kill switch, possible behind/adjacent the kill switch
Remove the existing blade fuse of the item you wish to disable, install the modified blade fuse, and mount the switch to be hidden in a place of choice.
That way, the crooks wont know where to look, and if they do happen to find it, they will possibly remove the modified fuse and never get it started anyway.
They wont want to waste time with messing with fuses.
Time is critical for crooks.

I have a idea to a disguised kill switch that wouldn't look out of place.

Last edited: